Turn signal problem 1996 Town&Country

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Turn signal problem 1996 Town&Country

Thanks

Turn signal problem 1996 Town&Country

Hi all , I own a 1996 Town&Country and both the turn signals go out at random times,they might stay off 5 minutes or a couple hours, I have checked all the bulbs and when the turnsignals are out the 4 ways are all still working, I've changed the multifunction turn signal/wiper switch and still the problem exist, after the new switch was installed, LOL I was so proud that I thought I fixed the problem, my wife takes her van and is gone but 1 hour ,when she was pulling in the driveway,the turns signals didnt work again for her, I go out and sure enough they are not working , im sitting there with the van running and the left turn on( thought it is not blinking)and looking through the manual for a relay or fuse I might of missed by the way (no fuse is shown for the turn signals) and no relay either and 5 minutes into looking for any info in that cursed book, it just starts blinking again, ok this is getting evil now, I think her mini van is possessed, lol just kidding but is there anyone out there who can help me fix this damn thing im going bonkers now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Try replacing the turn signal flasher. It's like a big round thing in a fuse box. You might want to check all the wiring as well.

Thanks

Thanks ,will look for that and see if that fixes it ive checked all the wiring I could and its looking in good shape no dry rot or anything looks brand new,any info is a help, thanks again and ill get back with ya to tell ya how it went .

Thanks

aint found the problem yet , im stumped

Thanks

Whoo hoo, newbie first post and already I've got something to contribute... well sorta.
    I have the same exact problem as you JMW. I think it happens more when it's cold or like when it has been raining. But don't go by that because there is no pattern. This problem of mine has somehow gone away since the winter after I started futzin around the fuze box. Problem came back after we received a dose of rain here in north jersey. Banged on the fuze box and seems to have disappeared again. Weird???
    I know this is a Chrysler Minivan forum But I only take picture of my VW .

Thanks

hee hee well if it ever gets fixed by you plz come back and let me know the exact fix ,im starting to lean towards the inside fuse area too i was checking relays and some seemed hot more then others not sure if a short is in there or not thanks for input and please keep feeding me info lol it all helps

Thanks

It's acting up again. weather has been damp here in nj and a little cooler. This may have been causing the intermittent problem. Once van has been running hot then signals are ok.

I hate this van. This is only one of the weird problems I've got in this van. and it's not something you can easily figure out too
    I know this is a Chrysler Minivan forum But I only take picture of my VW .

Thanks

Hi there,

I have the exact same problem - annoying isnt it? :-)) Did you ever get this fixed?

Cheers
    Colin

Thanks

Forgive the stupid question but did you happen to try changing the flasher module?

I changed the one in our 1998 because I wanted the daytime running light function.

I still have the original non-DRL one sitting on my desk here.

It does look like a relay. (taking a picture.)

The DRL version is twice as wide with three extra prongs but fits right in because all 1996 - 2000 are already wired for daytime running lights. You just need the bigger relay.

Ironically, the NON DRL version costs $2 more than the DRL version.

The thing plugs right into the fuse box under the dash. If you look with a flashlight, you will see the holes for the DRL version right next to it. I will take a picture of that also.

I will edit this and add the pictures is a few minutes.

Chas
    Last edited by Zuul24; 11-15-2004 at 10:48 PM.
    Chas Stokes

2000 Saturn SL1 "ZUUL"
    2002 Hyundai Elantra (Stolen ) "ZUUL24"

Thanks

Wink

Here are the photos. And yes, I got caught taking her van apart again!

Note the extra three contacts on the right.

Here is the flasher in place. And below, removed.

Hope you guys figure out your problems. Sure sounds like bad flashers to me.

I had to take about 15 pictures of the fuse box before I got a clear one. Ever try taking a photo in pitch black? Plus my Mavica does not like to focus in pitch black either!

You can't really see it all that well in the picture but it is actually imprinted into the plastic FLASHER between the two sockets and DRL above the one socket. Not like you can read the word flasher while it is plugged in though.

Chas
    Last edited by Zuul24; 12-02-2005 at 08:50 PM.
    Chas Stokes

2000 Saturn SL1 "ZUUL"
    2002 Hyundai Elantra (Stolen ) "ZUUL24"

+ Reply to Thread