The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Windshield wiper motor on intermittent is flaky

40K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  shipo 
#1 ·
2000 Grand Caravan with 3.3L V6. Windshield wiper motor not working very well on any of the intermittent settings. Usually works for a few swipes and then just stops. Anyone know what that problem is?

Thanks
-Bob

#2 ·
Probably the multifunction switch. (the windshield wiper/blinker switch). It's a common problem on the 3rd gen's, especially giving wipers a mind of their own.

#4 ·
1. Very easy to change, there are a few screws under the column suround. It comes off in 2 pieces. IIRC you don't have to take the top all the way off, just lift it up. Then 2 more screws hold the switch in, unplug the wiring connector and it's out.

2. Yes it's the entire assembly.

#6 ·
1. Very easy to change, there are a few screws under the column suround. It comes off in 2 pieces. IIRC you don't have to take the top all the way off, just lift it up. Then 2 more screws hold the switch in, unplug the wiring connector and it's out.
2. Yes it's the entire assembly.
Thanks. Any suggestions on where to purchase the part? I really can't spend any more than $50 so is the junkyard my only option? But it seems like a used part is just as likely to be as bad as the one I've got now :-(

$50 ......Local junkard (entire column)
$71 ......Advance AutoParts/BWD Switch Part# S14308
$116 ....Auto Zone/Duralast Switch Part# SW1497, OEM#: 4685586
$144 ....Local dealer

Thanks
-Bob

#9 ·
I have a 98 with the same problem. Only on intermittent, the thing does a couple swipes and stops slightly above the 'park' position.

I've been lurking on this forum, deciding whether I should dig into this or not.

I've read (do some seaching) that it may NOT be the switch; rather some type of parking sensor in the wiper motor assembly. There were a couple of posts that had replaced the switch and no change.

Again, I don't have the answer, but don't get too wrapped up in the multi-function switch as the problem yet; it's pretty pricey to replace new. I'd suggest a couple of boneyard dives -- the switch and the wiper module, and see which one works.

Please post your results. Not sure if I'll fix either way --trying to just do the basics on this van -- and this doesn't qualify. Though if it's an easy fix... maybe.

Good luck.

#10 ·
I've had 4 gen 3 vans and they ALL have had this problem to one degree or another. Maybe others have had better luck but I just live with it and when the cycle stops I tap the end of the stalk to get it running again.

Some days it works just perfect with no stops and other days it happens over and over. Really weird for sure.

I would be surprised to hear of anyone with one of these vans NOT have this problem.

#12 ·
I haven't. :biggrin: 3rd gen: 1997 Chrysler T&C LXi 140,100 miles. Original multifunction switch and 41TE. No crazy wipers:headbange Though a friend of mine had a '96 grand voyager se and those wipers had a heart beat....and then a mind of their own...and then wouldn't work...in the rain! New multifunction switch fixed it up. :ThumbsUp:

#11 ·
I believe (and I may be completely wrong) that BWD at Advance is NOT Borg Warner, instead, it is just a "BWD" tag that they use for their "house brand" of auto parts. They used to go by "GP Sorensen". If you buy from Rock Auto, always go to retailmenot.com to score a 5% discount code to use (there's usually one available.)

#13 ·
In my '98 GV, I have had the same intermitten wiper problems for years. I went to U-Pull-It and paid $5.00 for another unit. Same problem. Since I now had a spare, I decided to do "open hood surgery" on the switch. I very, very carefully dissected the thing, sanded all the contact shiney, lubed with di-electric grease, and reassembled. No luck on the wiper problem, but I'm proud to say the rest of it works fine. I'm beginning to think that the post by sapp4l is correct...that the problem is somewhere in the wiper motor. Does anyone have any input on this??
Pray For Our Troops...

#14 ·
I have the same problem on my 98Plymouth Grand,I have had the same intermitten wiper problems for years,I went to junk yard and get 3 switches and tried but the problem is the same,so I returned them and get money back,my local JY cost each switch only $11,untill now the problem is still there,any help I would appreciated.

#16 ·
Well.....Is there a fix?

Is there a fix? Or does one have to live with this problem? I too....join the list of a non-working intermittent delay. Works for a few swipes and then just stops. I have to settle for slow or fast and forget the intermittent option...:angry1:

BobbyBeans, did you fix it? Was it the multi-function switch or was it the motor? I'm having the same problem....

Thanks!

#17 ·
95% of the time people replace the switch first, then realize it was the motor. The switch itself is hard to wear out. It switches very little power draw and the contacts shouldn't wear out.

Reactions: Ole Greaser
#18 ·
This link's tech bulletin seems to verify this. It seems that the upgrade is done on re-manufactured motors by Cardone. All they do is seal the vent holes so the pulse board is protected from moisture intrusion. :blink:

http://cardone.com/English/club/members/customer/ecat_brands/imageinfo.asp?PARTNUM=403001

I personally like the Dorman Part # 601304, it's brand new. :thumb:(Too bad the pulse board is not available).:jpshakehe

And it's cheaper than getting that Mult-function switch. But it's a lot more challenging to replace than the switch.

#21 ·
I had this happen to me last spring around April. I found out about plugging the little vent hole and planned to do it. Then it started to function as normal before I plugged the hole so I just forgot about it until now. My pulse wipe is still working well but I plan on plugging that little hole some time this year.

#22 ·
I have a fix for this!

As I am going to put in detail in my original thread, I just fixed this problem. Here's the list of symptoms I had:

- When in ANY intermittent mode the wipers would swipe 2 or more times, instead of ONCE per cycle. Then after a few swipes the wipers would jam, and the only way to free them would be to switch them off. Once switched off the wipers would unfreeze and cycle sometimes several times over before shutting down.

- In Lo-Speed mode the wipers would generally work fine except for after a few cycles they would jam like in the previous example.

Everyone told me it was the multi-function switch, but today I went ahead and replaced the actual motor thinking the "park" switch inside the motor was the culprit.

... Problem solved!

#27 ·
The motor is fine, the park switch is the problem. I don't think there is a way to fix the switch as it is integral to the motor.

#29 ·
I don't understand why you had so much trouble with the adjustment that you say. I have had my wiper arms off two times and never had a problem. I didn't mark the splines but simply made note of where they sat before removing them. Maybe one of your internal connections for the arms is bent or worn. On mine they are tight with no play and the passenger wiper sits 1" from the bottom of the glass. The drivers side sits 1" above the passenger wiper and they perform smoothly. As for the switch maybe it is the wires that are in the clockspring that are broken. That would be the next thing to check.

#30 ·
I think he is referring to the adjustment of the LINKAGE arms inside the cowl. You have to move them out of default position in order to remove the wiper motor. It's a terrible design. One of the linkage arms goes directly above one of the nuts you need to remove in order to get the motor out. In order to move it out of the way, you have to move the linkage arms out of home position to make room. The problem is tightening that bolt down once you've put in the new motor and have spun the linkage arms back to the home position. It's nearly impossible to hold the linkage arms in place while tightening that bolt down, so its a pain in the arse to get it tightened down with the linkage arms in the right position and not have them slightly-off.

Reactions: dun4now
#36 ·
Either way you solved it for me and hopefully others. If you did post this I never caught wind of it. Too bad these types of repairs aren't set up as a permanent sticky. Apparently a lot of the repairs are consistent and happen frequently in this design. Anyway it's nice to know a Boston ****** figured it out, (that is if you're from New England). I grew up in Boston back in 70's decade. Went to school there. Hope and prayed that my Red Sox with Carl Yastrzemski would some day beat those damn Yankees in old Fenway Park. Froze my buttock off waiting for my Patriots to win a Super bowl and none of this ever happened for me, (at least the Bruins and the Celtics were doing good back then). I bet it's totally a different world out there in Bean-town now-a-days. I can't say I miss it though. That past is long dead for me.

#37 ·
Nope, not from Boston; I'm a Detroit boy who arrived here via San Diego (College and Marines), Quantico (Marines), Los Angeles, Atlanta, Detroit (again), Chicago, San Jose, Chicago (again), Manhattan, northern New Jersey, and finally southern New Hampshire. Along the way I worked extended gigs in Dallas, Houston, Stuttgart, and Taipei; funny thing, the only thing my living and working in the south taught me is that I need to live in the frozen north. :p

#42 ·
well, that's not something I want to get in to. Not even sure what actions are possible if that is where the problem is. Certainly don't think I want to swap the entire circuit breaker/relay block.
I was thinking I might have 2 different issues affecting the wipers. When they started flaking out, they would work some times and some times not. Or might work on intermittent just fine for a while and then just quit. Turning them completely off and back to intermittant would get them going. Then they went to making the 1 swipe to finally nothing. Now after cleaning the relays, I'm back the 1 swipe. I can hear the relay click when it makes the 1 swipe, so I think it's working becasue I hear only one click of the relay when I turn wiper switch to low and then 1 clcik of the relay when I turn to high.

#43 ·
I want to add that after trying the 'Shipo' method, about a week a so later no more intermittent. :jpshakehe I'm 90% sure if I pull the relays off again and clean as Shipo suggested they'll work again. But I also suspect that if I don't use the wipers for a period of time they'll eventually go back to just high and low until I repeat the clean-up procedure. Strange.... Perhaps in your case you'll need a new motor? :blink:

#44 ·
Well from Feb of 2012 till now I gave up on the intermittent. But now I've solved the issue. It's as easy as replacing both the wiper relay & the wiper high-low relay. Go to the Power Distribution Box in the engine compartment. On the lower left hand corner replace both relays. BWD makes em and they cost about $13.00, (you can get them at any auto parts store). Look for part number R3177. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.