Electrical Issues

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electrical Issues

Electrical Issues

Hello all I have been having some intermittent electrical issues. Most recently being the car wouldn't start. I have done some research about the WIN module recall. Mine does have the recall open still. Before I do anything with that I was curious if all of my issues could be from that or if I might have some other issues.

Background I am stationed in Germany with the Air Force, so trying to get all the ducks in a row before I venture to the dealership(about an hour away) to have the recall work done. If it is likely that this will fix all of those problems(or at least is the cause of the no start) I will likely have it towed there(towing here is SUPER expensive). If it doesn't seem to be the problem then I will try to track down what I can and try to drive it there. I have a 2008 T&C Touring 3.8l, 6spd auto, pretty much fully loaded, UConnect, VES etc. about 89k miles.

In order of first noticed symptom:
    1) Dummy lights flash, leaving Traction control, "ESP BAS", and CEL. After a restart of the vehilce only the CEL remained. When I checked the codes I had U0121 Lost Communication with anti lock brake module, and U1110 Lost Vehicle something(I took a picture but there was a glare on the screen. Reset the CEL all was fine for a little while.
    2) A few days later(within the same week). I started the van, and was driving down the road when I realized I had no radio or HVAC controls went to turn and had no turn signals. I turned the car off and back on and the problem was gone.
    3) Through the next month both of those issues happened once or twice.
    4) Went to start the van and it wouldn't start. Used a jumper box and she fired right up. Drove about 200 feet my wife realized that she had nothing on the center console, so she stopped. When she stopped the van shut down. Will not start again. Even with a jumper box. I was able to put it in Neutral and push it to a parking spot where it currently sits.

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Sorry to hear you are having problems. Disconnect the two battery cables from the battery and touch them together for a few seconds to reset the system. See if that helps until you can get the permanent fix done.
    2015 Grand Caravan SXT Plus
    Granite Crystal Metallic
    25,xxx Kms
    5w-20 Pennzoil Platinum w Pure Plus/Wix filter 10010

This may sound trivial, but how old is the battery and did try changing it? Vehicles equipped with CAN BUS modules and communication system, which is pretty much all of the modern cars, will exhibit some very weird behavior when the battery voltage drops below 12V, or when one or more of the cells are shorted.
    I would try putting in a fresh battery before doing anything else.

2015 Dodge // Grand Caravan Crew
    2006 Mazda 3 2.0L
    1995 Kawasaki Ninja 500

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

My first thought was battery, or alternator. When the car is off the battery was reading ~13v, and with the engine running ~14v. This was before it didn't start though. I'll give the battery a try. I suppose it couldn't hurt. I don't know how old the battery is. I've had it almost a year, and haven't replaced it, so who knows.

It could also be a corroded or loose (battery terminal loose from battery cable) battery terminal, that would explain why it would not cranck even when jumped.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LEVY For This Useful Post:

JC1(01-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    It could also be a corroded or loose (battery terminal loose from battery cable) battery terminal, that would explain why it would not cranck even when jumped.
    Yep, that's what happened to our van a couple months ago. Tried jump-starting it but it seemed like the battery wasn't taking a charge. I noticed the corroded connection when I changed the battery. I'm guessing the poor (and then broken) connection drained the battery to the point that it wouldn't start.

So, my main issue ended up being a loose battery terminal. I tightened it as tight as it would go and it still seems a little loose, so it's getting replaced. I don't know if that solved all of my problems as they were so intermittent. I am still working the WIN recall as I'm overseas and have to find the appropriate dealer to do the service. I'm hoping that's all it was though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to '52Chevy For This Useful Post:

JC1(01-22-2017)

Thanks for the update.

2015 Dodge // Grand Caravan Crew
    2006 Mazda 3 2.0L
    1995 Kawasaki Ninja 500

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply