1997 - Trac off light, driving very slow in snow

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1997 - Trac off light, driving very slow in snow

1997 - Trac off light, driving very slow in snow

This morning, I drove into work thru some snow - probably up to 6-8" drifts and a few inches on the ground. It seemed to be driving slower than it should. I parked it for a few hours, and when I drove it, it was almost like it was frozen to the ground, and was slow taking off. After stopping for traffic lights, I had trouble getting moving- almost like the brakes were on. Driving thru a slight curve was similar - it wanted to pull into a slight skid. I was also having trouble building much speed beyond 20-30 mph, and the engine seemed to be working too hard. I also noticed the Trac Off light on the dash.

Any thoughts? Almost sounds like transmission and or brake issues. I haven't checked the fluid yet - I want to pull into a heated garage first.
    1997 Chysler T&C LXi --130,000 miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Update: Judging from the tracks in the snow, the driver's rear wheel is locked. My first thought is to set/release parking brake a few times to see if it helps release it, on a whim (I don't ever use the parking brake).

Sounds like you may have a seized caliper. You may also have ice build-up on it since you were driving through deeper snow. If it was hot when you parked it, the ice may have built around it while it sat and cooled off. Either way, you need to have it checked out.

The "Trac Off" light tells you that traction control has been disabled. Due to the brake problem, you MAY be having an ABS issue. The Traction Control system uses the controls of the ABS system to apply/release the brake pressure to the spinning wheel (on the front) to equalize the slip between the wheels. It may have felt like it was dragging because it was......and it was making itself worse due to the input from the wheel sensors.

Plan on replacing one or more calipers and check the codes at O'Reilly (or the like) and see if there are any ABS codes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BILT4ME View Post
    Sounds like you may have a seized caliper. You may also have ice build-up on it since you were driving through deeper snow. If it was hot when you parked it, the ice may have built around it while it sat and cooled off. Either way, you need to have it checked out.

The "Trac Off" light tells you that traction control has been disabled. Due to the brake problem, you MAY be having an ABS issue. The Traction Control system uses the controls of the ABS system to apply/release the brake pressure to the spinning wheel (on the front) to equalize the slip between the wheels. It may have felt like it was dragging because it was......and it was making itself worse due to the input from the wheel sensors.

Plan on replacing one or more calipers and check the codes at O'Reilly (or the like) and see if there are any ABS codes.
    I don't believe the Gen 3 FWD vans had rear disc brakes.
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1999 Chrysler T&C Limited 3.8 (Current odo: 200,000+ miles)
    2001 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2016 Mazda3 s Grand Touring 5-Door (6-Speed manual)

Quote Originally Posted by shipo View Post
    I don't believe the Gen 3 FWD vans had rear disc brakes.

Yeah, you're right...DUH!!! on me! I drive a 98........

Could have melted water get into a brake DRUM and turn to ice on the rear. Either way.....get it checked out. May be a broken brake spring, faulty e-brake mechanism, or a variety of others.

Please post your solution.

Quote Originally Posted by BILT4ME View Post
    Yeah, you're right...DUH!!! on me!........

Could have melted water.......
    Melted water?

How about another DUH!!! for you?

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    Melted water?

How about another DUH!!! for you?

Darn! Can't get a brake here caan eye?

Yes, melted water. Similar to solid rock.

OK Let's start over:

Ya got stuff not working under the car....... Go look........

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I had the shop look at it, as learning about drum brakes in sub zero conditions is not a good learning environment for me.

2 new wheel cylinders, two drums turned, and one new shoe, if I recall correctly. Back on the road,

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply