2003 LXi - engine stalls, starts up easily, no code, everything else works

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 LXi - engine stalls, starts up easily, no code, everything else works

Post 2003 LXi - engine stalls, starts up easily, no code, everything else works

Got a chronic stalling problem with my 2003 LXi:
    - 3.8L, 57,000 Kms (international unit)
    - new coil, plugs, plug cables, cam pos and crank pos sensors
    - engine harness inspected/tested ok by dealer
    - dealer tested fuel pump psi - ok
    - no dtc codes
    - gas has 10% ethanol mix

There's no pattern except that it happens at least once each time I start up and drive. But I also have trouble-free drives and the car runs really great - except for the fear of stalling. It almost always happens at low RPMS (almost coasting). One time, it did't restart and I got the red immobilizer light. Took apart the cluster and re-soldered it and it may have solved that but - it still stalls.

I've read about stalling after a fuel fill-up but because I almost always experience it, I'm not sure that's the cause. One time, it stumbled during idling but it recovered with a high rpm (1500) before dropping to normal. Could that be a sign that gas and not just vapors were entering the intake? Can I just unplug the line (from the solenoid to the manifold) to test this?

Hoping to hear from those who have experienced or knows about stalling issues.

Thanks for reading and for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

As a first step, I'd clean the throttle body.

X2 on cleaning the TB. Could be related to the Idle Air Control valve system designed to maintain idle rpm when your foot is off the throttle ie coasting on an off ramp or approaching a stop light. Cleaning the TB will clean the port the IAC uses to admit air behind the throttle plate when it's closed while your foot is off the throttle.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 214K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    X2 on cleaning the TB. Could be related to the Idle Air Control valve system designed to maintain idle rpm when your foot is off the throttle ie coasting on an off ramp or approaching a stop light. Cleaning the TB will clean the port the IAC uses to admit air behind the throttle plate when it's closed while your foot is off the throttle.
    I will try that and post the results. The local dealer hinted that I may have a PCM problem. Doing the off-on key sequence brings up the code P1684 after the stall, which in their interpretation means the PCM rebooted I'm just about fed up and ready to go for a reman PCM...

Thanks everyone!

Everything I've ever read indicated that P1684 shows up after a battery disconnect. Have you disconnected the battery in the last couple months to clear any codes or do any work?
    2014 Grand Caravan SXT - Blacktop - Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl (mine)
    2013 Grand Caravan SXT - Redline 2-Coat Pearl (wife)

Quote Originally Posted by 73chargerse View Post
    Everything I've ever read indicated that P1684 shows up after a battery disconnect. Have you disconnected the battery in the last couple months to clear any codes or do any work?
    +1

I would say code P1684 is unrelated to your problem.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

The only possibility that I would see for p1684 actually being related to the issue would be an intermittent problem in the power supply from the battery to the PCM. If the PCM did not get continuous power, it may indeed show a "battery disconnected" code even though the battery was not disconnected on purpose. A visual inspection of the power supply to the PCM may not hurt, unless you know that you or the dealer have purposefully disconnected the battery to reset codes or something like that.

My guess is that if a car was running in closed loop and then the PCM lost power, the car would stall.
    '05 Town & Country Touring
    3.8L 195,000 mi

My 03 3.8l would start rough once in a while and then stall; but it would start, run a bit rough for a moment then no issue. Last night, however--upon ignition turned; it sputtered, quit and will only sputter out for a second then nothing; codes 1684, 1491 and 1494 showed on dash. I know about 1684; and 1491 is radiator fan issue and 1494 is Leak Detection Pump Solenoid Circuit.
    I'm going to check the fuel cap, reset the onboard computer (battery) and try to start it. I will then remove, clean and inspect the TB and IAC module if it doesn't start as well as check all vacuum ports, hoses, etc.
    I'll update with my findings later, and I welcome any input before I begin this journey

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply