Intermittent no start

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent no start

Intermittent no start

I've got a 2010 T/C 3.3 liter. I've got an intermittent no start issue. About 2 or 3 times a month it will spin over and not start ( I assume ECM controlled). It cranks endlessly until you turn off the key switch. Wait about 5-10 seconds to clear the brain fart. Try to restart and it then starts w/o a hitch and runs perfectly after that. I just don't want to get stranded w/ a no start issue if it finally decides to quit. Anyone else run into this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Sounds like your starter drive (bendix) is going out.

Replace the starter drive and you should be ok.

Not ECM related at all.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Thanks Levy, will check into that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

If the starter engages and cranks the engine as it should but the engine doesn't start at times, then the problem is not with the starter... Perhaps a TIPM fuel pump relay problem?

Quote Originally Posted by invader View Post
    If the starter engages and cranks the engine as it should but the engine doesn't start at times, then the problem is not with the starter... Perhaps a TIPM fuel pump relay problem?
    That was my first thought as well.
    2011 Town and Country Touring Black w/heated Cloth seats, Uconnect group
    2013 Honda Odyssey EX-L (Wife's car)

You guys are correct if the engine is actually cranking. Probably I misunderstood, I thought the starter was freely spinning but not the engine.

Marked1, on modern vehicles, if engine is cranking but fails to start, starter will keep cranking for a few seconds even if you release the ignition key, as a matter of fact, when turning engine on, you just turn the ignition key to the starter position until the starter engages, then release it and it will keep cranking until engine starts.

So, you only have one problem, your vehicle fails to start, the other issue (starter keeps cranking) is a normal feature of your vehicle.
    Last edited by LEVY; 01-08-2017 at 09:24 AM.

2012 Town & Country
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

That's why you heard about those Toyota's not shutting off with the key, computer controlled, our lives are in the hands of computers...
    Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    You guys are correct if the engine is actually cranking. Probably I misunderstood, I thought the starter was freely spinning but not the engine.

Marked1, on modern vehicles, if engine is cranking but fails to start, starter will keep cranking for a few seconds even if you release the ignition key, as a matter of fact, when turning engine on, you just turn the ignition key to the starter position until the starter engages, then release it and it will keep cranking until engine starts.

So, you only have one problem, your vehicle fails to start, the other issue (starter keeps cranking) is a normal feature of your vehicle.
    2010 STX 3.8

And to clarify, engine spins over but no start. intermittently. Good info, THX.

No spark or no gas.
    2010 STX 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by ShieldArc View Post
    No spark or no gas.
    WOW!

How about not enough oxygen? Happens more often than people think.

2012 Town & Country
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply