Intermittent no start

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Intermittent no start

Quote Originally Posted by ShieldArc View Post
    No spark or no gas.
    Getting the spark & gas at the right time is important as well
    2016 Deep Cherry Dodge Grand Caravan CVP (with an aftermarket RT badge on the liftgate )

Fully loaded .... power steering and power brakes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Spark or Fuel, Hmmm. Not sure since It only happens about every 2 or 3 weeks. when I shut it off and try to restart it always restarts and runs perfectly for about another 2-3 weeks. I haven't popped the hood, run out and pulled a plug wire to see while the engine is still cranking over. I might give that a try in the future. Hope I don't get a jolt.

Quote Originally Posted by marked1 View Post
    Spark or Fuel, Hmmm. Not sure since It only happens about every 2 or 3 weeks. when I shut it off and try to restart it always restarts and runs perfectly for about another 2-3 weeks. I haven't popped the hood, run out and pulled a plug wire to see while the engine is still cranking over. I might give that a try in the future. Hope I don't get a jolt.
    When engine fails to fire, there are two main reasons:

No spark (or wrong timing).
    No fuel.

Problem is, there is a long list of possibilities, diagnostic is not always easy.

Also, lack of oxygen (or too much fuel) is another posibility.

Low compression is also another posibility, but it may not be the case because it wil start on the second try.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Since it's so intermittent I think it either could be a bad sensor, responsible for delivering fuel and spark on time, like crank shaft position sensor or cam shaft position sensors, or perhaps the wires going to any of these sensors could be making a short of some sorts.
    I had a crank position sensor fail on me permanently and it completely cut of fuel and spark. The engine would crank and would not fire up when starter fluid was sprayed. Lack of fuel smell, from all the cranking, is what prompted me to try the starter fluid. Once the sensor was replace, the car fired up no problem.

Also, I would get it scanned, perhaps there is a pending code stored in the memory, but not enough to trigger the CEL.

2015 Dodge // Grand Caravan Crew
    2006 Mazda 3 2.0L
    1995 Kawasaki Ninja 500

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply