The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Timing belt change

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MacKellaich 
#1 ·
Hi

Is there any info on timing belt changes for the 2.8CRD engine around, something like how to do it yourself?

I have a 2008 2.8CRD

Thanks,

Thomasx

#3 ·
Hi Thomasx
I have a 25th anniversary 2.8 CRD with 70K the service book states 125K however I will change at 80K. The last one I had was a 2004 recommended 80k which I bought with 132K to discover the belt had not been done.
I am not sure why the interval has moved out maybe better materials? The first Diesels used in the GV in europe were Italian with chain drive, the 2.5/2.8 from 2003 ish onward is a Mercedes unit the old adage I feel that 80 k is probably best.
The 2.8 is a big heavy lump, and with the water pump sitting behind the cambelt so it makes sense to change that also otherwise you just know it will leak after the cambelt is changed.
I would say garage job unless you have hoist and well stocked garage, it is probably quicker to drop the engine out and do it that way, the garage that did my 2003 said that getting to the water pump was a nightmare as there is not much room. But as Clint used to say "Do you feel lucky"

#4 ·
Never had to change the belt on a CRD mini van, however, we did one on our ’05 Jeep Liberty CRD that had the 2.8L engine in it at right around 100k miles. Honestly, it was a bitch to do IMO. However, I didn't want to pay the dealer to do it, mainly because I was younger and thought I knew everything, and well, guess my time wasn't worth as much then. Its not really all that difficult if you have the proper tools and a place to do it. It will take you and a buddy a few hours and a case of beer to finish the job and a few tools you won't likely find out your local auto parts store. Mainly you'll need to way to lock the cams in place so they don't move and be sure to paint the orientation of anything that turns so it came be put back in the same location upon reassembly of the engine.

Seems to me we replaced not only the belt, but the belt tensioner, idler pully, water pump, thermastate and housing, includng all the gasets associated with said parts and the serpentine belt all at the same time. Pretty much the same rule applied to the VW TDIs.

#6 ·
I don't know about accessing the W/P on these vans, but sometimes you need to loosen some motor mounts and then jack up or lower the motor with a jack underneath to make accessing some parts easier.

There has to be some YouTube videos out there.

#7 ·
I have found some info on youtube on earlier models, but not from the 2008 onwards.

McKellaich, I know from experience I am always unlucky, Murphy obviously lives on my attic or something ;) However I do have a hoist and a well equipped garage, so in the end I usually beat Murphy anyway :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.