Programming spare 7-button FOB key

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Programming spare 7-button FOB key

Programming spare 7-button FOB key

Bought a 2nd FOB key off Amazon and the instructions are so poorly written.

Any link to clear instructions? (Board search isn't working)

'13 chrysler t&c touring
    I only have one original FOB
    7 button FOB (kinda tight to insert in ignition switch), didn't get the key cut yet

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

I believe programming the new FOB requires a trip to the dealer, or locksmith.

Quote Originally Posted by JCamasto View Post
    I believe programming the new FOB requires a trip to the dealer, or locksmith.
    Correct.
    2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8) 200,000+ miles
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport (3.3) 250,000+ miles
    2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
    Previous Chrysler Vehicles: 1995 Dodge Caravan (3.0), 1993 Dodge Caravan (3.0), 1986 Chrysler Lebaron GTS (2.2), 1963 Plymouth Valiant (170ci)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

I just got a quote from a local locksmith to program my new fob for $100....why I needed another is a very long story...
    90 grand voyager le, 92 voyager base, 96 T&C lx shortie, 01 caravan sport, 03 grand caravan sport, 12 T&C touring, cloth, 17" wheels (13 touring L) BLACK-MOPAR running boards, mud flaps, ventshades, bug deflector, HUSKY liners, seat covers, K & N high flow filter, gold and silver accented pinstriping, CLARION 6x9's, COMPUSTAR remote start-1 mile range, FLUID FILM applied, LED interior and exterior lighting....

My van was two years old when I bought it, and it came with only one fob. I bought a second one from the dealer ($165 CAD plus tax), and then was charged $45 CAD to program it.

There was an extra charge of $5 for "shop supplies" on the work order, but when I pointed it out, the service writer was embarrassed and deleted the extra charge. "Shop supplies" to program a fob? Nice try, but I'm not going for it.
    My Ride: 2012 Grand Caravan R/T

My Previous Ride: 1998 Grand Caravan ES

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RT4ME For This Useful Post:

UN4GTBL(01-13-2017)

I've seen some conflicting information on the internet about programming these key fobs. I have a 2011 Grand Caravan, and I tried programming mine (with 2 working key fobs already), and I was unsuccessful. Soooooo..... from what I'm gathering from this post and some other information is.....the pre-2011 vehicles had a method for programming they key fob by yourself, if you had 2 working keys already?

But 2011+, you will always need a trip to a dealer or a locksmith to get it done? Is that how it works?

My local Stealership quoted me $264 for a key fob with a new key cut and programming. Absolutely ridiculous for a replacement or spare key. There should be a way for a vehicle owner to get a fob replaced for a reasonable amount of money. Why would they make it impossible for a Dodge owner to do it themselves, besides for more opportunities to gouge their customers for 1/4th of a grand?

They key fob can't cost more than $20, and programming it doesn't take more than 3 minutes!

And for them to try adding an extra $5 on for shop supplies is ridiculous!
    2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Express

Yep! Highway robbery, grand theft, pure greed..., no way to condemn this too highly. But..., since all the auto makers have gone along with the scam, there isn't much you can do. You can only buy cars built before 2011, which is about when this became almost universal, or you can try and negotiate a third key or fob to be included in the price you pay. Other than that, it's pretty much empty your pockets or walk. They know they've got the public over a barrel and they aren't giving up this little gold mine no matter how much the public complains. They know that if they all do it, they've got you and there isn't much you can do about it!

Sure, they'll give you the song and dance about how 'expensive' this little piece of technology is. "It's got a computer chip in it", I've been told. Well...., I can go on the internet and buy a DVD burner for my computer that's got a bunch of computer chips in it..., along with four to six different lasers that must be accurate down to the nanometer level..., and it will cost all of about $15! I can buy a fairly high level video card which has literally BILLIONS of transistors in it along with circuitry that makes that key fob look positively ancient, for a couple of hundred dollars.

It's all a scam and no one is willing to be the one dealer that kills the golden goose!

Quote Originally Posted by nozoxon View Post
    I've seen some conflicting information on the internet about programming these key fobs. I have a 2011 Grand Caravan, and I tried programming mine (with 2 working key fobs already), and I was unsuccessful. Soooooo..... from what I'm gathering from this post and some other information is.....the pre-2011 vehicles had a method for programming they key fob by yourself, if you had 2 working keys already?

But 2011+, you will always need a trip to a dealer or a locksmith to get it done? Is that how it works?

My local Stealership quoted me $264 for a key fob with a new key cut and programming. Absolutely ridiculous for a replacement or spare key. There should be a way for a vehicle owner to get a fob replaced for a reasonable amount of money. Why would they make it impossible for a Dodge owner to do it themselves, besides for more opportunities to gouge their customers for 1/4th of a grand?

They key fob can't cost more than $20, and programming it doesn't take more than 3 minutes!

And for them to try adding an extra $5 on for shop supplies is ridiculous!
    Yes, 2011+ minivans need a dealer to program the keys.

What I did was buy a key on ebay (after confirming that my dealer would be willing to program a key that I bring in) for ~$65

Then had my dealer program it - I think they only charged $30 or something minimal.

Still silly, as I was able to do my own key for my Caliber, but not as bad as you were quoted.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply