Removing Fuel Tank Filler Neck - question

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Removing Fuel Tank Filler Neck - question

Thanks

Removing Fuel Tank Filler Neck - question

2000 Grand Caravan with 133K miles. About a week ago I noticed a faint fuel smell back by the gas cap. Friday the Check Engine Light came on and the code was P0455 (Evap Leak - Large). I replaced the cap with the dealer part. Pulled the negative cable on the battery to reset codes. Hoping that's the end of it.

Thinking that it might be more than the cap I jacked up the driver side rear, removed the tire and plastic skirt to reveal the Fuel Tank Filler Neck. Very rusty but I didn't notice any cracks. If the P0455 comes back and if I wanted to replace that entire filler neck assembly, I have a question. The neck has a small metal tube that connects to a plastic hose. I can't figure out how to disconnect this. Do I squeeze the plastic connector, turn it or pull it?

Here is s close up of the connector I can't figure out:

Here is a picture of my entire filler neck assmbly:

thanks
    -Bob
    Last edited by BobbyBeans; 08-02-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyBeans For This Useful Post:

dun4now (02-10-2013)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

You have to press on the connection sides. Before you gonna do it, spray WD-40 on it, and be very careful when you'll take it out.
    who left the dodge out?
    -----------------------------
    Plymouth Voyager 1999 LE 3.8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F BULLDOG View Post
    You have to press on the connection sides. Before you gonna do it, spray WD-40 on it, and be very careful when you'll take it out.
    Squeeze where you showed me then what? Just work it off by twisting back and forth?

Thanks
    -Bob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBeans View Post
    Just work it off by twisting back and forth?
    Exactly! Just be careful, this piese of plastic very fragile.
    who left the dodge out?
    -----------------------------
    Plymouth Voyager 1999 LE 3.8

Thanks

The plastic pipe end cap has small 'fingers' that catch on a 'ring'
    formed around diameter of metal pipe: these must be released with special tool, a screw driver(being very careful) or if you make a tool that will release them all together. The fingers push away from the metal pipe diameter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldjunkyarddog View Post
    The plastic pipe end cap has small 'fingers' that catch on a 'ring'
    formed around diameter of metal pipe: these must be released with special tool, a screw driver(being very careful) or if you make a tool that will release them all together. The fingers push away from the metal pipe diameter.
    Squeezing on the plastic connector where "F BULLDOG" suggests will not lift these "fingers"?

Thanks.
    -Bob
    Last edited by BobbyBeans; 08-02-2009 at 01:59 PM.

Thanks

I had to replace this part a couple of months ago. One of the breathers was completely rusted through.

This plastic part came off as previously described, but wouldn't fit back on snugly. I think this is a one time use quick connect for the ease in the factory.

I removed it, and just put on a short piece of rubber gas line with hose clamps. Worked like a champ.

I got a "new" complete assembly (fuel filler) from the recycle yard; I had to pull off about 10 to get one in good shape; this item looks like it is meant to rust through. I got real good at removing them, though.

Note that some of these have two breathers (3 hoses in total), some had only 1 breather (2 hoses total) -- the switch was mid 2008 MY -- the later ones had the 1 breather config. Make sure you get the right one.

BTW: Make sure your gas tank is near empty when you take this off; avoids having to clean up gas or catch it some how. Also, don't be making any sparks or ignition sources when working on this... won't be fun with fuel vapors around. Good luck.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sapp4l For This Useful Post:

dun4now (02-10-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sapp4l View Post
    I had to replace this part a couple of months ago. One of the breathers was completely rusted through.

This plastic part came off as previously described, but wouldn't fit back on snugly. I think this is a one time use quick connect for the ease in the factory.

I removed it, and just put on a short piece of rubber gas line with hose clamps. Worked like a champ.
    Good idea. If it comes to that your solution sounds pretty straight fwd.

I got a "new" complete assembly (fuel filler) from the recycle yard; I had to pull off about 10 to get one in good shape; this item looks like it is meant to rust through. I got real good at removing them, though.
    Never been to a junk/recycle yard. How much did you pay for it? This part look pretty expense. Haven't called the dealer yet but I did check a place online called RockAuto that I've been very happy with in the past They have this part new for $145 (119" wheel base) and $116 (113" wheel base). How do I know what my wheel base is? Is the Grand Caravan 119" and the non-grand 113"?

BTW: Make sure your gas tank is near empty when you take this off; avoids having to clean up gas or catch it some how. Also, don't be making any sparks or ignition sources when working on this... won't be fun with fuel vapors around. Good luck.
    Hadn't thought about that. Make sense though. Good idea

Thanks
    -Bob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBeans View Post
    Good idea. If it comes to that your solution sounds pretty straight fwd.

Never been to a junk/recycle yard. How much did you pay for it? This part look pretty expense. Haven't called the dealer yet but I did check a place online called RockAuto that I've been very happy with in the past They have this part new for $145 (119" wheel base) and $116 (113" wheel base). How do I know what my wheel base is? Is the Grand Caravan 119" and the non-grand 113"?

Hadn't thought about that. Make sense though. Good idea

Thanks
    -Bob
    You might want to paint that baby before you install it.
    2000 Caravan 3 L. 17-20 MPG. 134,000 klm. New tranny at 97 K. Tires are P205 70R14 Bridgstone M+S. 123,800 KM. replaced tensioner pulley, serpentine belt, and power steering pulley.
    Old reliable - 1982 Dodge Ram Long Box 318 Auto 3 speed transmission 66 K.

Thanks

The part from the salvage yard was like $8. This is a "u pull it" place, so you have to do the work taking it off. Takes about 5 mins (or about 2 after you've pulled off 5 or more). Probably a 'full service yard' will be something like $20. Full service yards will remove the part for you. Be sure to call around, and don't be afraid to bargain.

[BTW: I actually enjoy waking through the yard. You can see how things are put together, and look for any other bits that you van might need. Great way to learn how to disassemble things. -- probably a character flaw; I think my wife thinks so.]

Bring a hacksaw just in case; some screwdrivers (maybe some with torx bits), and something to cut hoses and those idiot plastic push-in pieces that hold the fender liner on. Also some PB Blaster, or similar bolt helper. Be sure to collect all the installation bolts, screws, etc.

Like I said, there were many rotted ones -- so must be a common problem. The one I finally got looked like new -- no rust at all. I painted it anyway when I got home; an hour's work to

Note that this breather hose is under very low pressure (just vapors) that's why a hose and normal clamps will work. On a fuel line after the fuel pump, use only stock connections or something rated for much higher pressure.

+ Reply to Thread