Transmission cooler leak - does it really require $1000 repair?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Transmission cooler leak - does it really require $1000 repair?

Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    This thread as mentioned is FULL of misinformation...
    It certainly is, much of it caused by a mixture of information about the two different styles of transmission coolers used on the 4th gen vans.

...There two areas that leak on the trans cooler- the rubber lines that run from the transaxle and the cooler that is sandwiched inbetween the a/c condenser and the radiator. All three are separate units Not sharing any fluids etc...
    This is true for 2001 thru 2004 vans, but the 2005 and up vans have the condenser and transmission cooler integrated into a single unit.

Spend the few $$ and buy the OE cooler lines as they will save you time skin and energ, as they are pre cut, molded shapes, and have the clamps installed with little holder clips that allow you to wiggle them into place over the fittings at the transaxle and the cooler, then you just align them and pull off the locking tabs to allow the clamps to bite the hose ends.....COOL!
    The cooler lines also changed from simple rubber hoses with spring clamps, to short lengths of rubber hose with steel lines crimped to each end, the clamps are replaced with quick disconnect fittings.

...Helpful?
    Yes, to those with a 2001 thru 2004 van.

(The original post (from 2009) was about a 2005 T&C with the combined condenser/transmission cooler, the thread has been all over the place since then.)
    2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8) 200,000+ miles
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport (3.3) 250,000+ miles
    2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
    Previous Chrysler Vehicles: 1995 Dodge Caravan (3.0), 1993 Dodge Caravan (3.0), 1986 Chrysler Lebaron GTS (2.2), 1963 Plymouth Valiant (170ci)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

This thread as mentioned is FULL of misinformation. ......
    And you added a little more.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Only trying ......

Did mean to add to the confusion. Oh well, now those who have a EARLIER version now have the right info on the three separate devices for 2.5, 3.3 models.
    The story from the dealer on the shared fluids (based on the owner's report) I found quite interesting as they represented a total lack of knowledge on very basic automotive systems.

Glad to hear that the later models have combined two of the coolers into one unit. Sad to hear of the high (?) failure rate of the oil cooler. Is it from poor isolation mounts,or the the failing at the fittings, or it from being in the front of the car and therefore hit by flying debris?
    In this combined scenario, the aftermarket cooler from Hayden available from Rockauto.com is a great simple solution as it comes with quick mounts and isolator pads to stop heat transfer from the A/C condenser. It also eliminates the added costs to evacuate the A/C System to remove the combined cooler. IMHO, Costs will be come the only driver as our vans age and they move to their fourth and final owners.

Meanwhile my 2004 3.3 Sport strip model is running nicely at 129K

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

That should have read, "Did NOT mean to add to the confusion"
    Current Garage
    2004 Dodge Caravan 3.3 "Sport"
    Host of BMWs

Past Garage Highlights
    1973 Pantera
    1973 Cuda 340
    1971 Dart "Lite Package"
    1970 Challenger T/A 4 Sp Alpine White
    1970 Challenger T/A 4 Sp Go Man Go (Green)
    1969 Road Runner 383 Auto

.....It also eliminates the added costs to evacuate the A/C System to remove the combined cooler. ......
    I don't see any advantage at all. The integrated part of the transmission cooler, is high on top of the condenser, so less prone to fail. If mine fails, I would just install a new condenser-transmission cooler. Chances for it to fail again are very slim.

Good quality transmission coolers are expensive, you can replace the condenser-cooler combo for about the same price if you do it yourself.

2012 Town & Country
    2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. 317,000 + Miles. -SOLD-
    Current Minivans I own.
    LEVY --UNKNOWN MEMBER--

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    I don't see any advantage at all. The integrated part of the transmission cooler, is high on top of the condenser, so less prone to fail. If mine fails, I would just install a new condenser-transmission cooler. Chances for it to fail again are very slim.

Good quality transmission coolers are expensive, you can replace the condenser-cooler combo for about the same price if you do it yourself.
    Agree. But I think you and I operate under the rule of "fix it right the first time for a life-time of use". At this point in the model life, many owners will view costs of repair as primary and will look for the "cheapest repair possible". With that frame of thought/action, I think most will go with the "coat hanger" repair methodology process as a 10 + year old mini van is just a point A to B device.

Meanwhile, I have clayed and waxed the front clip, detailed the interior, and washed under the hood once again on the van as the weather is so nice.
    Current Garage
    2004 Dodge Caravan 3.3 "Sport"
    Host of BMWs

Past Garage Highlights
    1973 Pantera
    1973 Cuda 340
    1971 Dart "Lite Package"
    1970 Challenger T/A 4 Sp Alpine White
    1970 Challenger T/A 4 Sp Go Man Go (Green)
    1969 Road Runner 383 Auto

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply