Strut Shock Recommendation

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Strut Shock Recommendation

Thanks

Strut Shock Recommendation

I am looking to change out my struts and shocks because the car is getting pretty bouncy and doesn't like road indulations, especially around turns. Anybody have brand/model recommendations?

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I left the important information out. This is for a 2006 Grand Caravan SXT.

Thanks

I put new Monroe Premium "quick struts" (full strut assembly including spring and bearing) on my 2002 T&C due to a great rebate deal. Heard some bad things about Monroe but their premium struts seem to work fine. Wanted KYBs but couldn't ignore the Monroe deal for a strut and shock package. You can't go wrong with name brands like Moog, Gabriel, and Sachs. There are a lot of cheap Chinese struts on the market. I recommend the "Quick Strut" approach to save time and the hassle of compressing springs.
    2002 Chrysler T&C EX 3.8 76,000 miles
    2003 Pontiac Vibe 36,000+ miles
    2004 Chrysler Crossifre 32,000+ miles

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

I bought some FCS quick struts from Amazon warehouse for about $50 each, but I guess I got what I paid for. One of them is squeaky/creaky as all get-out! But they do seem to work ok.

Look to be about $65 each new currently if you want to roll the dice. On average, the reviews actually seem to be better than the monroe quick struts, which are much more expensive.
    Left: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Right: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rockauto has good prices on the Monroe quick struts. Shipped was about half of what I could get one locally. I can't say anything about the longevity because I replaced them about this time last year on my 02 T&C, but it got totaled back in June. They were great during that time though.
    2014 Grand Caravan SXT - Blacktop - Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl (mine)
    2013 Grand Caravan SXT - Redline 2-Coat Pearl (wife)

You have to decide if you are going "quick strut" , which is really strut+upper mount+spring, or just strut.

What's important in my opinion is how difficult it can be to compress the factory springs. While I've read it's worth keeping the factory springs, instead of going quick strut, I've also learned the hard way that compressing them "at home" or with anything other than a commercial compressor along with a skilled tech, is virtually impossible. I got mine done, and replaced with monroe struts and some brand of upper mounts that i had used before and also wore out. However, it was the toughest job I have ever done on the van, and I nearly took my head off. I guess the springs on these vans are wider and bell shaped, which makes most compressor ineffective and dangerous on them.

I believe going the quick strut route will be considerably more expensive, unless you get some really cheap ones which will wear out fast , and may not ride right with the van.

I've owned my van since new, and if not for the repeated wear out of upper strut mount / bearings, I probably never would have messed with the struts. I expect my newer setup of using the old factory springs along with mid/low grade monroe gas matic struts and rear shocks, to last for awhile longer.

Best advice I can give you, is that if you go with regular struts, make sure you have some idea or shop lined up that is fully capable of compressing the springs. Also, the mounts tend to be fragile, and when I replaced those, the shop I took it to managed to crack one of the mounts upon decompressing the spring, and I didn't know it until after installing on the van Again, compressing and decompressing is not easy or trivial, and forget the side screw or harbor freight "mcpherson" compressors, unless you like to get frustrated and risk losing limbs.

Oh and if you don't go with quick struts, make sure to replace the mounts, even if they aren't making noise, because AFAIK they will eventually, and then you'll have to do the whole job again.
    2005 Town & Country Signature Series. Metallic Blue. Original owner since new in 2005.
    6 disc DVD + Navi (DVD works, but Navigation does not and has not for many years)
    LED interior lights (upgrade)
    Power moonroof / power and heated front seats / stow 'n go

Currently tipping 190K miles

I replaced my OEM front McPherson struts with KYB brand at 135,000 miles and I had an independent shop do that because I didn't want to mess around with a spring compressor. So far, the replacement KYB set is at about 60,000 miles and doing well.

I replaced the rear struts at about the same time myself - I think I went with a Gabriel product but I forget which level. Anyways, replacing the rear struts was (IMO) no more difficult than changing oil or rotating tires. In fact, I think I did that job as an "add-on" to normal maintenance one Saturday and it took an additional 15 minutes or so from the usual time it takes to change oil and rotate the tires.

Nate
    '05 Town & Country Touring
    3.8L 198,000 mi

Quote Originally Posted by nate95366 View Post
    I replaced my OEM front McPherson struts with KYB brand at 135,000 miles and I had an independent shop do that because I didn't want to mess around with a spring compressor. So far, the replacement KYB set is at about 60,000 miles and doing well.

I replaced the rear struts at about the same time myself - I think I went with a Gabriel product but I forget which level. Anyways, replacing the rear struts was (IMO) no more difficult than changing oil or rotating tires. In fact, I think I did that job as an "add-on" to normal maintenance one Saturday and it took an additional 15 minutes or so from the usual time it takes to change oil and rotate the tires.

Nate
    Curious as to how much that job cost you with labor.

Also, I believe we all have leaf springs and shocks on the rear, and not struts? I know I do, because I replaced mine with cheap monroe shocks that appear to be OK. slight improvement in ride. that is , unless they are the source of the new noise I have now.

the only other thing I remember about the rear is that some vans have some fancy very expensive "self-leveling" shocks of some sort. I believe I somehow determined that mine did not, so was able to replace with standard shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by crymar View Post
    I put new Monroe Premium "quick struts" (full strut assembly including spring and bearing) on my 2002 T&C due to a great rebate deal. Heard some bad things about Monroe but their premium struts seem to work fine. Wanted KYBs but couldn't ignore the Monroe deal for a strut and shock package. You can't go wrong with name brands like Moog, Gabriel, and Sachs. There are a lot of cheap Chinese struts on the market. I recommend the "Quick Strut" approach to save time and the hassle of compressing springs.
    Yes, yes you can - I bought the Sachs complete replacement units for the front and they are awful. They give a bang when going over sudden bumps and the rubber spring isolators are squeezing out and wrapping themselves around the springs. Only about 5000km on them so far and I am really regretting spending $450CDN on them. I should have bought the KYBs instead
    I contacted Sachs about this and they suggested I return them and buy something else. Great customer service there.

I think parts and labor for the KYB struts was about $500 US in 2011 when the job was done. I got new tires at that time too. The tires are about done with 60,000 miles on them but they have worn evenly, so the struts are still going strong.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply