2001 radiator fans not working

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2001 radiator fans not working

Thanks

2001 radiator fans not working

I have a 2001 dodge grand caravan with the 3.3 engine front and rear ac.

I replaced the ac compressor a few weeks ago. Got a used one and my system wasn't open for long. Filled it with freon and everything was good.

Had the bumper repainted (small deer, only bumper damage and no damage to anything else) and about a day or so after that the ac wasn't working right. I rechecked the freon level by draining it and refilling it so I know that isn't a problem. I noticed the fan relay has some overspray on it (that's why I mentioned the paint job) and figured that the paint and fact that it was missing one cooling pin that it would be the problem. I took off the relay and scuffed the metal bumper with a scotch pad (didn't take paint off) to make sure it was clean and then riveted the new one on.

The fans still won't kick on. I can let the van warm up and it doesn't hint at over heating but no luck with the fans. The ac line is pretty hot. I can spin the fans by hand so there is no issue with them binding up.

Where do I go from here?
    Is there any other sensors to check?
    My guess would be to get a hold of a test light and see if current is going to the fan and/or get a jump box and test the fan directly.
    Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

update

I hooked it up to a freon machine earlier today. Said the low pressure was way to high.
    Hooked it up to a nice scan tool and was able to make the fans come on.
    Can't get the fans to turn without the tool.

I figure that some how I might have gotten some kind of contaminant inside the line. Maybe dirt or some metal and that it is clogging the ac line. A buddy at the shop says that is does happen. I will be changing that part , forgot the name , and I will change the dryer because I heard you should change that when ever the system becomes open. I will write more once I finish the repairs which I have to put off for about a week.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply