The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2000 Town and Country dies while driving no error codes

14K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  el conquistador 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 town and country that intermittently will die while i am driving, it does not do it all the time, and it does not give me an error code, sometimes it will do it when it is cold and sometimes when it is hot, and sometime disampears for a week or so, any clues.

#2 ·
Welcome to the Forum, Avekubi
If there's no codes, then you most likely have a corroded connection, or bad connection somewhere. How old is your battery? What's your battery connections look like (clean or dirty)? The later models (computerized) are VERY picky about battery power.

#3 ·
The hardest thing in the world to fix is an intermittant problem. When I have a customer with this situation, I supply a 'flight recorder' it's a diagnostic tool pluged into the diagnostic connector. When the customer encounters the problem, they hit a button and that moment of time is recored. I down load the data into my computer and it shows the data in which the event occured. One example is I had a customer with a bad ignition switch in a Dakota. The truck would die randomly when turning or hitting bumps. The problem was 2 part, the switch was worn and the customer had like 2 pounds of keys hanging on switch which pulled on the switch. of course when the truck came in, he only dropped off one key so I couldn't simulate the condition. There were no codes typical mechanic nightmares. So after a couple hours of testing and nothing happened, I sent the truck out with the flight recorder. 2 days later he comes back and I look at the data and see ignition power loss to the PCM. This time I saw all his keys and put two and two together.

#5 ·
I will check on the battery, that could make sense since it only happens when I furst start the car intermittently, and then after the alternator has charged the battery more it works ok, the battery if fairly new, but I will check the connection

#6 ·
It's been to the shop 2 times and they have not found anything, I brought it one afternoon and they told me that they needed to have the car cold in the morning to test and they did not find anything either, I am suprised that they did not recoment a diagnostic tool, however i do not think it is a harness connection either since it only happens when you first start driving, and then I just put the car in neutral and star it again, but it only happens when you first start driving, after a while is goes away and you are fine.

#8 ·
You now have me confused. you started this post with it 'my car dies intemittantly hot or cold'

Now you say it happens when you first start the vehicle.

the shop may not know what to look for if you are telling 2 different things.

the first statement you opened will leave interpretation that just driving down the road the van dies

the other statement is more specific after starting.

Notice all the "guesses" being thrown at it right now. If you repaired or replaced everything offered, you'd be in for over a $1000 already.

Get yourself a note book and record all events when the van dies. How long you drove before it died, was the engine hot, cold, warming up. how fast were you going, did it restart imediately. and so on. The more you put down at each event the easier it will be to diagnose. then you won't be going off memory. this will help determine frequency, severity and operting mode.

#7 ·
could it be an egr or vaccum problem? my egr was bad and causing stalling and didnt throw an engine light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.