The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Is this happening to YOUR 2005 Gr. Caravan? Or someone you know who owns one?

Looking to replace BCM for '05 Gr. Caravan, please help.

28K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jshrops 
#1 ·
Greetings everyone. :hi2:

I'm having serious issues with my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE.
Problem> The power door locks quit working.
They do not respond to the key FOB (it's built into the key) or the power switches on the front doors. The FOB will make the horn beep to fool you into thinking they've locked, but they haven't. Same goes for the liftgate which is always in the locked position and must be opened with the key every time. The locks do still work manually but once you hit the end of this, you'll understand my pain.

I've been doing research online and found this is EXTREMELY common for this year and I don't get it (and wished I'd done the research before I bought it). It seems that they all lead back to it being an issue with the Body Control Module. I've tried the other fixes (resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery for a bit, changing the fuse and so on...) but they're all temporary. Once reset, they'll work for anywhere between a few hours or a couple weeks but the problem keeps returning.

I read on www.carcomplaints.com that a guy said he picked up a BCM from a junkyard, put it in and it actually DID solve the problem. So I'm gonna do the same but since this seems to be a 2005 only issue I was gonna grab one from a year above or below and I need help. I found where it is in the van but decided to write in here when I read that they are VIN sensitive :eekkkk: Hope not.

Any help in getting me through this job (cause i'm NOT paying Chrysler to do it) would be great! :biggrin:

Thanks.
Lennon L.

P.S. - I know losing your power locks may only seem like a small inconvenience to some people but I use this van for a taxi and believe me you want your power locks working when some violent looking, messed up (possibly seriously drugged out) weirdo is walking up to your van thinking he's gonna get in. Unfortunately, now they can. Also annoying for the liftgate when people have groceries (or strollers or walkers) and I now have to shut off the van and go back there with the key to open it for them every single damned time. Don't get me wrong, I DO get out and help anyways but I don't like the extra starts on my engine cause it's MANY times a day.

See less See more
#2 ·
In my 04 Limited I lost the backup lights. I replaced BCM with a used one that restored the backup lights but then I lost my power tailgate function. So yes, they need to be from the exactly the same vehicle configuration.

Also, the BCM contains the odom information, so the dealer is required to order a new BCM and then flash it with the odom info from the old BCM.

#3 ·
I see. Well I guess that rules that out. Any other ideas for fixing my power door lock problem?

#4 ·
I have had 4 of them installed under warranty. (Extended warranty paid off).

The last one seems to have done the trick. My locks have been working fine. It took a couple of reflashes with new programming also.

Currently I have on door lock not wanting to unlock, but I believe it is a weak actuator. It trys, but doesn't want to go.

I have all the stuff on my van too. Power slider docks and power liftgate. It seems to have been a common issue and if you haven't tried it a reflash of the BCM may fix it. I understand your pain. It is a hassle to have to manually lock the doors when you paid for a feature.

Allen

#5 ·
2005 Caravan: 88K miles. I ran a separate ground from the body direct to the battery. It worked for about a month, after that the same pattern emerged: locks fail to respond to fob or toggle switch. The driver side rear door does not respond, in any case. Searches for BCMs note that there are dozens of VIN related replacement variations, but say nothing about flashing the replacement at the dealer. Also, I noticed that while parked, the parking lights cycle on/off at times. I have quit using the fob and switch and use the driver lock unless there is a reason. Fortunately there are no more kids teams to load/unload. No wonder these vans do not hold their value. Such a hazard . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.