Humming/whirring noise from 2003 T & C Limited

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Humming/whirring noise from 2003 T & C Limited

Thanks

Humming/whirring noise from 2003 T & C Limited

The high pitched whirring noise started this summer. It starts when I start the car or after a long drive on the highway. I've noticed that it rarely starts whirring if the car is cold.

It is unaffected by acceleration, revving the engine in park, or turning the air conditioning or radio off. It seems muffled for a brief moment if I come to a very quick stop. Once, it stopped after I filled the gas tank, but I'm not sure if it's related to the gas or if the car just cooled down. It can be heard inside and out, and most agree it is from the back or underside.

Anyone have any ideas? No warning lights are coming on, and so far, the car is running fine. I'm just scared to take it anywhere.

Thanks -

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Sounds like a fuel pump to me. Turn the ignition on without starting the engine, the pump should run for a few seconds and then turn off. If you hear your whirring noise during this time, it's the pump. Get it changed out (or do it yourself) before it goes and you save the cost of a tow truck and can do it at your convenience.

Thanks

Talking

Yes, it's the fuel pump. Did you ever bottom out (tank got hit, or hit road debris )? Usually the pump floats (hangs down from the fuel line, into the tank). If your tank was "pushed up" or caved in, the pump is now touching the bottom of the tank, causing the pump vibrations to be echoed by the metal of the tank. Mine does this, it was installed with a slight twist of the fuel line, causing it to touch the bottom of my tank when it was installed. As long as it continues to whine, I'm not worried.

If you have damage to your tank, you may wish to get it fixed, though.

Your decision. Not life threatening.
    1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 3.3L LWB-- 222,222 miles and counting ......
    Still Going Strong

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wookie0586 View Post
    Sounds like a fuel pump to me. Turn the ignition on without starting the engine, the pump should run for a few seconds and then turn off. If you hear your whirring noise during this time, it's the pump. Get it changed out (or do it yourself) before it goes and you save the cost of a tow truck and can do it at your convenience.
    Thanks for your help. I checked for tank damage as the other person suggested, and there is none. I also checked for the whir as I turn the key; sometimes it sounds like a quiet electric motor starting and stopping, sometimes I hear a short creak, and sometimes that humming sound is too loud for me to tell anything. Does this still lead you to believe it is the fuel pump?

Thanks

Do a search on this forum for something like "whining" or "fuel Pump" and you'll find at least a couple of threads related to suspected noisy fuel pumps. I've read through them because I, too, had a noisy fuel pump. In those threads, nobody could ever recall a fuel pump failure and I don't think anyone reported they replaced one as preventative maintenance.

Mine whined a few times last summer during hot temp conditions (90s F) and low fuel levels. A fill-up "cured" the problem. Mine started to make noise again a few days ago but the noise was short-lived. I don't think anyone here has really provided a good explanation for what the problem is, and there is no consensus that the noise is prelude to pump failure.

If there are no codes or no obvious performance issues, and if the noise is constant (not increasing) then I'd monitor it but not worry too much.
    Dave
    • 2003 DGC SE 3.3L - 248K miles and still strong
    • 2003 Nissan Frontier 2.4L - 186K miles
    • 2005 Ford Focus - 158K miles
    • 2008 Honda Civic - 90K miles

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply