A604 Transaxle problems

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A604 Transaxle problems

Thanks

A604 Transaxle problems

I just installed a rebuilt Transmission Computer Module (made by a reknown rebuilder, with 4 moth warranty).
    But the transmission still isn't working on my '93 Dodge Caravan.
    Before I had it rebuilt, the car wouldn't shift from 2nd into 3rd gear but go into neutral and then stay in safe mode (2nd gear).
    After I installed the rebuilt TCM, it reacts exactly the same way.
    When I got back to this guy he said that the solenoid pack is most probably clogged and suggested I got a new one, but I already switched it ones, about a year ago and it behaved exactly the same way than it does now.

Any idea what else might be the problem? Perhaps a bad input or output speed sensor, or some of the contacts on the TCM connector?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

This is a classic example of throwing parts at a problem without proper diagnosis.

What you can do is remove the plug on the OD port as I explained in your earlier post. install a pressure gauge, even a cheapie oil pressure gauge will work. run the vehicle when it shifts to 3rd, you will see over 80psi pressure when the solenoid activates.

If it does, then your problem is an internal failure. Most commonly a broke overdrive hub.

Thanks

Talking

Welcome to the forum, frankpistohl

Usually when a transmission starts to have shifting problems, it can often be caused by the solenoid pack, but not always. Rarely have we heard of a tranny problem stemming from the TCM, in any GEN van. We have heard of several caused by loose wires, or a bad ground wire to the solenoid pack. If you replaced the TCM, I would have to "guess" you cleaned the connector, or atleast inspected it, prior to re-connecting, the same with the solenoid pack connector(?).

These tranny's are "smart", so getting a "free scan" from a reputable place, and, your dealer (nothing wrong with several opinions). Just stay away from AAM**, unless you want to get your tranny back in a doggy bag ........

Providing us with your "miles" would help us in figuring a problem out, as well as "location". Winter "SALT" in your area, etc.
    1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 3.3L LWB-- 207,000 miles and counting ......
    333,134.21 kilometers, for you metric buffs ......
    For Sale - Make Offer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzTraveller View Post
    Welcome to the forum, frankpistohl

Usually when a transmission starts to have shifting problems, it can often be caused by the solenoid pack, but not always. Rarely have we heard of a tranny problem stemming from the TCM, in any GEN van. We have heard of several caused by loose wires, or a bad ground wire to the solenoid pack. If you replaced the TCM, I would have to "guess" you cleaned the connector, or atleast inspected it, prior to re-connecting, the same with the solenoid pack connector(?).

These tranny's are "smart", so getting a "free scan" from a reputable place, and, your dealer (nothing wrong with several opinions). Just stay away from AAM**, unless you want to get your tranny back in a doggy bag ........

Providing us with your "miles" would help us in figuring a problem out, as well as "location". Winter "SALT" in your area, etc.

I wouldn't generalize that all **MCO stores are bad. Might as well say all Chrysler dealers will screw you over just because you hear or had one bad experience.

If the man just puts a pressure gage on the OD port (which applies in 3rd gear) and he has decent pressure, then he will know if the computer and solenoids are doing their job.

Thanks

Judging from your description you can throw external parts at this all day and never fix anything. Sounds like an internal failure. Have a competent tech scan the trans I suspect you'll need a rebuild or reman.

Thanks

Milage, location,

to AzTraveller:
    The mileage on my Caravan reads approx. 230.000 Km (142.915 miles). The vehicle is located in Caracas / Venezuela, so there is no snow or salt around.
    Transmission (as far as I know) was completely rebuilt approx. 50.000 Km ago.
    About a week ago I had the TCM rebuilt. And I know that it had two components blown 'cause I could see two burned spots on the gel-like back of the TCM.
    The solenoid pack doesn't buzz at all, and the shifting between gears don't occurs smoothly but throws in with a noticeable ruck.

How would an A604 react if the input speed sensor and/or output speed sensor had gone bad?

Thanks

A604 Scanner

To El Conquistador:

I just fixed a OBDII scanner. It had a damaged keyboard. Now I have to find someone with the hardware to connect it to the A604 transmission.

About putting a pressure gage on the OD port: What is the ecxact thread of the hole?

Any idea where the ground strap of the solenoid pack attached to?

Thanks

Was ATF+4 used when it was rebuilt?
    2001 Infiniti i30 3.0 DOHC V6: VQ30DE 177,000 miles; 1999 Nissan Altima GLE KA24 168,000 Miles
    1997 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9 46RE, 182,000 Miles
    Prev. 97 T&C LXi 184k 3.8, 94 T&C 3.8 156k Miles, 93 GV LE 3.3 123k

Thanks

An A604 tranny with a bad input or output sensor will go into Reverse, and second gear in Drive. (Limp mode). There will be no buzzing from the solenoid pack. There will be no gear shifting.

An OBDII reader is of no value when it comes to reading codes from a 93 van which is OBDI, plus it will not read any tranny codes. You need a scan tool at the dealer or tranny shop for this. Just my $0.02.

FredB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fjb37 View Post
    An A604 tranny with a bad input or output sensor will go into Reverse, and second gear in Drive. (Limp mode). There will be no buzzing from the solenoid pack. There will be no gear shifting.

An OBDII reader is of no value when it comes to reading codes from a 93 van which is OBDI, plus it will not read any tranny codes. You need a scan tool at the dealer or tranny shop for this. Just my $0.02.

FredB
    I use a Snap-on Solus. It works just as good as a dealer scanner.

For trouble shooting this transmission or basically anything mechanical or electrical, I would think it's important to have a shop manual that can answer your questions and have flow chart and schematics to solve the problems.

As I stated in another post about this exact problem the ports are as follows from Left to Right looking at the front of the trans. From the bellhousing toward the rear cover it's
    1st port underdrive (1,2,3 gear)
    2nd Overdrive (3, 4 gear)
    3rd Rev input (reverse only)
    4th TCC (torque converter control)
    5th 2/4 (2,4 gear)
    6th L/R (1, rev gear)

+ Reply to Thread