The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Changed both O2 sensors...ouch!!!

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  tuckman 
#1 ·
So it has been a long week of after work (worked all weekend too!) projects on the van. Spray underbody coating, replace fuel and air filter, spark plugs, replace power steering cooler, change transmission filter and flush (using the transmission to pump out 1 quart then replace 1qt...10 times!) then today the 02 sensors!

I am rather upset with the vague instructions in the Haynes manual on replacing both up and down stream sensors:cussing: I now know it would be much easier to put it up on jack stands and pull the driver side tire to get easy access to the connectors. Instead I had the van up on ramps and the exhaust very hot to make it just that much more interesting of a job. Luckily no burns to report :ThumbsUp: Going in rather blind to what I was up against added about an hour to a 45min job. The arms are red and have lost some skin in a few places but the job is done :headbange

Any suggestions to what else I could have done to make this job easier on me?

Friday is time to cut the coolant lines to the rear heater and replace the rotten parts out with heater hose. Once that is done flush the whole cooling system out and replace with new Zerex coolant that fits the proper spec. Then she will be ready for our 1000 mile round trip 2.5 week camping trip that has us covering a very good portion of Alberta, packed up right to the maximum allowable weight with the trailer towing package (including towing the boat)!

The work I have done on top of the list above includes;
replace sway bar bushings, new rear heater fan resistor pack, new trailer wiring plug and add new aftermarket middle row console.

Did I miss anything?

See less See more
#3 ·
Looked at the spare a couple times and thought about it but never got to it yet. The brakes are all show good amount of pad left on the outside. I am going to pull the tires this weekend, grease the pins and measure the inside pads. Yes, good wipers are a often neglected item. thank you

#6 ·
I removed the upstream sensor from above (the connectors would be easier to get at with the front drivers tire off.) I removed the air filter box and hose to the intake manifold. That gave me room to put my left arm in with the 02 sensor socket and a 2" extension on the sensor. I then put the ratchet on the extension by going in with my right arm just over the ignition coil. (removing the cowl would make this job easier but more time consuming). I used a ratchet that has a swivel on the head (motomaster spark plug wrench set) so I could get some extra swing. Luckily it broke loose rather easily with the exhaust VERY HOT!
Now doing it the way I just described will save you some time from taking the cowl off but your arms will be itchy and red for about 6 hours from rubbing the insulation above the intake. I had thought about removing the battery but didn't want to lose all the radio stations programmed in :lol:.

#5 ·
tuckman,
I've been discussing your trailer wiring with you in the towing section. Glad you got that plug swapped out. I guess if it's just a boat for now, you can hold off on worrying about the brake controller.

For this thread, specifically the O2 sensors, when I did the front sensor on our '97, my Chilton manual called for removing the windshield-wiper assy (cowl?), and doing the job from above. That was still a tough job, and required extensions, universal joints, and mirrors :nut:, and also resulted in some lost skin off the forearms. Seems there's no great way to do it.

I'm impressed with the amount of work you've done yourself. Have a great trip!!

#7 ·
tuckman,

For this thread, specifically the O2 sensors, when I did the front sensor on our '97, my Chilton manual called for removing the windshield-wiper assy (cowl?), and doing the job from above. That was still a tough job, and required extensions, universal joints, and mirrors :nut:, and also resulted in some lost skin off the forearms. Seems there's no great way to do it.

I'm impressed with the amount of work you've done yourself. Have a great trip!!
From reading here it sounds that the 3rd gen's are a much more cramped space to work in :Wow1:.

Thank you...most of this work has been done on the grass in the back yard on some rhino ramps. My Aerostar is still sitting in garage waiting for the motor to be put back in. Now there is a real PITA for trying to work on stuff. Just pop the hood on one with a 4.0L, E-4WD and A/C, I swear you have to pull the rad for half the stuff you want to do! I now get a mechanic's discount at the local parts store :ThumbsUp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.