Best All-Season tires

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Best All-Season tires

Thanks

Best All-Season tires

Hi guys,

I don't know about you but I'm not impressed with the Yokohama Avid S33 OEM tires on my 08 T&C. My van has less than 35,000 km and the front tires are already worn out...The thread life on these tires seems very short !
    In the past 2 months, I've repaired the tire on the front driver side like 2 times due to small nails and I don't live or drive in construction zones !
    Plus they spin here & there on dry surfaces. I haven't used them in winter but I don't think they are good. Off course All Season tires are not good in winter but some are better than the others.

So I'm shopping around for the best all season tires, good in wet & dry condition, quiet and able to absorb bumps.

Michelin tires are always rated the best but they are not cheap either.
    Any suggestions / ideas would be welcome.
    2010 T&C Limited - 67,000 KM
    Dark Titanium Metallic / Light gray interior
    All options except swivel

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I always use Michelin tires bought at Sam's Club, BJ's etc. Bought at those stores Michelins are not the cheapest tires they sell, but not bad either. Michelins have a nice comfortable ride.
    2001 GC Sport, 3.3, Flex Fuel, Vin "G", 115200 mi. Bought new in 03/2001

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sat22 View Post
    I've never seen where Michelin tires are always rated the best, that said, many of their tires are very good. For our vans, many of us have researched a fairly broad cross section of tires, and the following tires always seem to filter to the top of every list:
    • General Altimax RT
    • Goodyear Assurance ComforTread
    • Goodyear Assurance TripleTred
    • Michelin HydroEdge
    • Yokohama AVID TRZ
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro (5-Speed manual)
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2009 Mazda3 i Touring (5-Speed manual)
    2012 VW GTI (6-Speed manual)

Thanks

I have experience with the TripleTread and the Hydroedge on several vehicles. Both are superb tires. The Hydroedge has the edge in handling and life, the TripleTread has the edge in deep snow performance. Perhaps the Hydroedge is a bit more harsh, ride wise, than the TripleTread but the 80,000 mile life claim is real. Look for the latest Hydroedge version which is said to sport lower rolling resistance.
    2004 Town & Country Limited, Michlin HydroEdge, added OEM Rear Sway Bar, German OEM Headlights with Hella H7+30 and H9 bulbs, Centric Rotors, Akabono Ceramic Pads, front and rear, rear hitch.

2001 PT Cruiser Limited automatic, Goodyear TripleTread rear, Goodyear Eagle ResponseEdge front, performance sway bar bushings and front links, 9011 and 9012 bulbs, front tower bar, Centric Rotors, Akabono Ceramic Pads, front only, Champion dual plat plugs, Mopar performance plug wires.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 920 Posts

Hi guys,

I don't know about you but I'm not impressed with the Yokohama Avid S33 OEM tires on my 08 T&C. My van has less than 35,000 km and the front tires are already worn out...The thread life on these tires seems very short !
    In the past 2 months, I've repaired the tire on the front driver side like 2 times due to small nails and I don't live or drive in construction zones !
    Plus they spin here & there on dry surfaces. I haven't used them in winter but I don't think they are good. Off course All Season tires are not good in winter but some are better than the others.

So I'm shopping around for the best all season tires, good in wet & dry condition, quiet and able to absorb bumps.

Sounds like you are looking for an "all season" tire with the M+S designation stamped on it. These tires will be fairly open on the tread so one can expect less tread life.
    Walmart had an "all season" with the M+S designation on it, called Marshal 791 Touring, made by Kumho. I have them on my van. When new they had great winter traction. When 50% worn, not as good, but then again, neither do snow tires.
    They have stopped carrying Kumho tires here now, so I don't know what they are offering in an "all season" tire that would have a M+S rating.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 112,920 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 311,200 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 251,430 kms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
    Sounds like you are looking for an "all season" tire with the M+S designation stamped on it. These tires will be fairly open on the tread so one can expect less tread life.
    Walmart had an "all season" with the M+S designation on it, called Marshal 791 Touring, made by Kumho. I have them on my van. When new they had great winter traction. When 50% worn, not as good, but then again, neither do snow tires.
    They have stopped carrying Kumho tires here now, so I don't know what they are offering in an "all season" tire that would have a M+S rating.
    Most reviews give thumbs up for the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred ! It seems like a good alternative to Michelin.
    I think I might give it a try.
    2010 T&C Limited - 67,000 KM
    Dark Titanium Metallic / Light gray interior
    All options except swivel

Thanks

Most reviews give thumbs up for the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred ! It seems like a good alternative to Michelin.
    The TripleTreds that I had on each of our vans lasted well over 65,000 miles, however, after about 50,000 they start getting a bit sketchy in snow and ice. That said, I don't think there's an all-season tire on the market that would do really well with 50,000+ miles on them. FWIW, I forgot to mention the Cooper CS4 Touring tires in my list. I put them on our 1998 after the TripleTreds wore out, and while I didn't like their softer steering response compared to the Goodyears, I loved how much better in winter weather they performed.
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro (5-Speed manual)
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2009 Mazda3 i Touring (5-Speed manual)
    2012 VW GTI (6-Speed manual)

Thanks

Are you saying that you haven't rotated the tires, in 35,000 KM?
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 120K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 98K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 75K mi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shipo View Post
    I forgot to mention the Cooper CS4 Touring tires in my list. I put them on our 1998 after the TripleTreds wore out, and while I didn't like their softer steering response compared to the Goodyears, I loved how much better in winter weather they performed.
    I'll second that. The CS4's are monsters in the snow for an all-season tire. But otherwise adequate and competent.... not quite as put together as the Tripletreads I had on before. But it's a van, not a race car.

I have only experienced my new Yoko S33's in one snow 'event' this year, and they were not bad. I'm not in a rush to replace them. They performed better than I thought they would, considering the reviews on tirerack.com.
    2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L), Light Sandstone Metallic, 125K miles
    2005 Volvo XC70, 160K miles

Previous van: 2002 Chrysler T&C, eX (3.8L)

Thanks

Do not forget the CT version of Michelin named Destiny... compare the price with Goodyear... and if you can wait don't forget the golden rule for CT: normal price comes when the item is on sale...
    I put them on my T&C and after 20,000 km they look like new... wearing out after 35,000 km is worse than the cheapest tires from Walmart... the last ones I used from them had over 70,000 km and still looking pretty good.

Are the rear tires also so badly looking?
    2002 Town and Country LXI - 3.3L - 133,000 miles
    1988 Dodge Grand Caravan LE - 3.0L - 270,000 miles (Gone but never forgotten)

+ Reply to Thread