Hot smell after driving around.

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hot smell after driving around.

Thanks

Hot smell after driving around.

Last weekend I pulled into my garage after being out and about for an hour or so and I smelled somthing coming from the van. It smelled like burnt plastic or a hot glue gun. I checked the Temp gauge, it was not hot. Oil and water level is good.I took it in today for an oil change and my guy checked the belts and the exhaust system. He said it looked good. Any idea what it could be. We can only smell it after driving. If you let run while parked for a while you cant smell anything at all. Weird

Thank you for your time.
    2002 Chrysler Voyager 4 Cyl. 71,500K miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,246 Times in 1,021 Posts

Maybe brakes seizing / starting to seize. Check the temperature at your wheels when this happens or sniff the air (no big sniffs - bad stuff) near each wheel.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 112,920 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 311,200 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 251,430 kms

Thanks

Sounds like something electrical heating up. If the smell is inside the van one common place to check is the climate control panel connection. The connector is known to melt with heavy blower motor use. Another would be the blower resistor block up behind the glovebox but only if you have the manual climate system. There was a recall on 02s (???) for water driping into the radio causing failures. Has that been taken care of? Are you seeing any system failures or querks? If you start smelling rotten eggs your cat converter could be over heating.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 208K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

Have you opened the hood while it smelled? You might see some smoke rising.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by first time minivan View Post
    Last weekend I pulled into my garage after being out and about for an hour or so and I smelled somthing coming from the van. It smelled like burnt plastic or a hot glue gun. I checked the Temp gauge, it was not hot. Oil and water level is good.I took it in today for an oil change and my guy checked the belts and the exhaust system. He said it looked good. Any idea what it could be. We can only smell it after driving. If you let run while parked for a while you cant smell anything at all. Weird

Thank you for your time.
    Some smell is normal. The cat runs REALLY hot. You may have run over something (plastic bag perhaps) this is very common, may have a slight oil leak, do a little detective work. Sniff around the van in and out when you do smell it. Try to pinpoint a location. BTW make sure your parking brake is FULLY releasing.

Thanks

I can only smell it outside the van. I popped the hood and did not she any smoke nor could I smell anything. I will look harder next time. Not much odor today.

Thank you

Thanks

No smke. Nor could I smell under the hood. Had the belts chewcked out, they are all in good shape. My mechanic said he could not see anything wrong under neath the van.

Thank you for your time

Thanks

I had a pretty nasty smell when I would take the van on a long drive when I first got it. The valve covers were leaking oil, and probibly were for tens of thousands of miles as there was oil caked onto just about everything under the hood. I replaced the valve cover gaskets(as well as everything else to get to them). Then while replacing the gaskets, I saw that the guy that owned it before me took the wireharness out of the clips that go across the rear of the engine and the wire harness was laying on the exhaust manifold. Good thing I cought that in time!! No more smell.

That might not be your case though. I would check the rear brakes and see if they are dragging. I had that problem with my old 05 GC.
    Last edited by sousa632; 06-11-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks

Could you, by any chance, have driven over a plastic grocery bag or other piece of plastic that could have stuck to the exhaust piping / components?
    That would certainly cause the smell...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply