Tune-up on 3.8L

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tune-up on 3.8L

Thanks

Tune-up on 3.8L

I just did a tune-up on my 2003 and while the van only has 42k on it and was still running original plugs and wires, there's a noticeable difference in how the engine runs now compared to before. It's much smoother and I definitely feel more power. Also surprisingly it does not ping anymore. I though it was a bad egr valve or something. I guess not.
    In any case. After failing to find a decent set of aftermarket ignition wire set, I decided to make my own. I ordered some Taylor Spiral Pro 8mm ignition wire in bulk, spark plug terminals, boots and wire separators. For spark plugs I decided to try out new Bosch +4 Fusion. I've had good results with the original +4, I figured why not, the price was the same for me either way. The original plugs were in pretty bad shape. Giant gaps and missing platinum on most of them.
    The rear plugs were a bit of a pain to get to but I've got long skinny hands, so it only took me a few minutes to get them out.
    Here are are a couple shots of the finished product. Hopefully this will cure my horrible gas mileage. Oxygen sensor is next, just have to get a good scan of it to make sure whether it's working properly or not and if not, it's still under the factory warranty ( whatever it's good for now).

Alex...
    2003 T&C Ltd AWD
    2008 GC SXT
    2002 WRX Sportwagon
    1987 Shelby CSX #562

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

good job. what was your gas milage before doing this?

Thanks

Very wrong plugs. Chrysler and Champion developed a dual plat plug for this application and I highly recommend that specific plug in this application. The Bosch plugs are only plat on one side of the spark. Remember, the 3.8 fires from center electrode to ground in one plug and then from ground to center electrode on the consecutive firing plug.
    2004 Town & Country Limited, Michlin HydroEdge, added OEM Rear Sway Bar, German OEM Headlights with Hella H7+30 and H9 bulbs, Centric Rotors, Akabono Ceramic Pads, front and rear, rear hitch.

2001 PT Cruiser Limited automatic, Goodyear TripleTread rear, Goodyear Eagle ResponseEdge front, performance sway bar bushings and front links, 9011 and 9012 bulbs, front tower bar, Centric Rotors, Akabono Ceramic Pads, front only, Champion dual plat plugs, Mopar performance plug wires.

Thanks

Talking

amelnik, GREAT Wiring Job

Looks like you've found your nich

Seriously, though. Wiring is GREAT.

Other side of the coin, As was mentioned by Richard Certain plugs actually detract from engine performance, with these engines. Don't have any recommendations, myself, except to "search" the threads on the forum and you'll find several dedicated to plugs and which ones work well, etc.

Best wishes.
    1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 3.3L LWB-- 207,000 miles and counting ......
    333,134.21 kilometers, for you metric buffs ......
    For Sale - Make Offer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Very wrong plugs. Chrysler and Champion developed a dual plat plug for this application and I highly recommend that specific plug in this application. The Bosch plugs are only plat on one side of the spark. Remember, the 3.8 fires from center electrode to ground in one plug and then from ground to center electrode on the consecutive firing plug.
    Actually...

I just put in new plugs and wires in my own Chrysler Corporation 3.8L EGH V6 that's sitting in my Town & Country and I did NOT put in Champion Dual-Platinum plugs. Squawk as everyone might, I did NOT just put in the Bosch Platinum +4™ plugs that are really popular... I put a set of Bosch Platinum Iridium Fusion™ plugs along with Bosch Ultra-Premium 7mm Opti-Layer Mag Core wires. I've since put several thousand miles on that engine and it has run beautifully. I've gotten great fuel economy... runs smoother than it did before.

About a month ago, I took a look at the plugs and they look absolutely fine.

I agree that the OEM equipment is CHAMPION... and that you really should go with OEM in most cases, but that doesn't mean ALL cases.
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amelnik View Post
    I though it was a bad egr valve or something. I guess not.
    Looking at the photos, I can see that your engine does not have an EGR valve.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

Talking

amelnik, Looks like you've opened up one of those proverbial "Can o' Worms". Another one is "OIL" preference, but most seem to agree on a small number of oil filters. Just avoid the discussion of air filters, though.
    1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 3.3L LWB-- 207,000 miles and counting ......
    333,134.21 kilometers, for you metric buffs ......
    For Sale - Make Offer

Thanks

LOL, thanks guys. Yes, I went with +4 fusion because I had reservations about the waste spark on these engines. I guess we'll see how it turns out. So far, the engine is running much, much smoother. I guess I will also not mention that I also put a drop in K&N filter.
    It's funny but I've been on turbo dodge forums, subaru wrx forums and now this forum and there's always "fights" over the same exact issues, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs and oil.
    I know that a properly matched Bosch +4 worked great on my old 2.2L turbo engines making over 350hp, and those have waste spark as well, though not as advanced as the new generation ignition Chrysler is using on our cars.
    I've been driving around town for the past 2 weeks and my overhead console was showing 13.9 mpg average. Also I've not seen my average go over 15.5mpg on highway as well. I really hope that new plugs and wires fix that.

Alex...
    2003 T&C Ltd AWD
    2008 GC SXT
    2002 WRX Sportwagon
    1987 Shelby CSX #562

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Looking at the photos, I can see that your engine does not have an EGR valve.
    Cool, that's one less thing I have to worry about.

Alex...
    2003 T&C Ltd AWD
    2008 GC SXT
    2002 WRX Sportwagon
    1987 Shelby CSX #562

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amelnik View Post
    LOL, thanks guys. Yes, I went with +4 fusion because I had reservations about the waste spark on these engines. I guess we'll see how it turns out. So far, the engine is running much, much smoother. I guess I will also not mention that I also put a drop in K&N filter.
    It's funny but I've been on turbo dodge forums, subaru wrx forums and now this forum and there's always "fights" over the same exact issues, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs and oil.
    I know that a properly matched Bosch +4 worked great on my old 2.2L turbo engines making over 350hp, and those have waste spark as well, though not as advanced as the new generation ignition Chrysler is using on our cars.
    I've been driving around town for the past 2 weeks and my overhead console was showing 13.9 mpg average. Also I've not seen my average go over 15.5mpg on highway as well. I really hope that new plugs and wires fix that.

Alex...
    I'll also not mention that I put in K&N filters in all my vehciles............anyhow, I've been getting low number milage myself. After reading your post, Im contemplating doing a plug change, even though its only at 33300. We're goin to NC in a month and I would really like to get my max milage up past 18 by then.

+ Reply to Thread