The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

After market Overhead DVD player

82K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  TwilightHitman 
#1 ·
Looking for good overhead dvd player that will fit in 08 dodge grand caravan SE,Also can anybody suggest an ideal placement for the after market flipdown dvd player, if i place it above drivers heads the A/c control console will block some of the view for the third row seat, so wondering if there is any console that integrates with the rear a/c controller, If anybody has already installed a aftermarket overhead dvd player please post what model you got and placement it was installed. thanks

#2 · (Edited)
My suggestion is to install headrest DVD instead and I'm not talking about the ones with straps ! I'm talking about integrated DVD screens.
Headrest DVD screen are better for the following reasons:

-Much better view for the 2nd row passengers / no need to look up / screen is right in front of u
-No need to tear up/rewire overhead console & risk of rattling noise after install

When I bought my 08 T&C, it didn't have a DVD system and they couldn't install it on the overhead because of the sunroof so the Chrysler dealership suggested headrest. I was abit hesitant but in the end , I was very happy with it. They've removed the OEM headreast (they gave them back to me) and stick new ones, much bigger in black leather each with a zip cover.

When you open the zipper, you have 2 gorgeous 9" screen & can play 2 different DVD at the same time. My two girls love it. Unfortunately, I couldn't get wireless headphones due to the interference between the two DVD. So only option was cable. If I wanted wireless headphones, then both screens would have the same media and that was not an option, my 2 kids play different stuff. Each screen has its own remote. I went on a trip with my buddies and they loved it.

And each can play pretty much all medias incl. Divx, Avi and has also a USB connection. So I can play a movie straight from my thumb drive. Most overhead system play DVD only.
I can also use it as a screen and hook up an XBox or any other game !
Trust me, do it, you won't regret it.

#4 ·
i found a place online where they are selling the OEM overhead console for second and third seats which will hold the screens, How difficult is it to add the overhead console, did anyone install OEM overhead console(as in factory models) later and if so di you do you it youself or got it installed at the dealership, Please post here. thanks

#5 ·
the headrest dvd system seems great, but it only works if you have power seats and probably would be a PITA for the 2nd row anyway because of the stow and go.

the OEM overhead is prob gonna be way expensive and inferior to the headrests.

#7 ·
headrest dvd are actually simple to install and are not expensive. you can order many of them online for less then 400 bucks for two dvd tv. Quality is the same as the over head. wire runs down inside the seat and along the side one wire goes to power to a fuse another goes to the frame and the third goes to a constant source for the memory. ie aux power. The two problems with the head rest in the van. one you need leather seats or they wont match very well (or go to a apostler (sp) and get it done) second is second cant have them installed. well not that i have seen. due to the headrest being such a odd shape and the fact it has to go into the ground. Over head mounts you have to take apart some of the roof some cutting of the fabric and so forth. wiring is the same. And no you cant use the wires for the lights over head they are not the right gauge and can cause a fire. a great website is clutchfield i think that is how you spell it. that have
One of the advantages of putting in an over head is you can go big 12 inch vs 7 to 9 inch for head rest.

installed both before and very simple to do hardest part is figuring out which fuse to tap for the power. Canadian tire or any other carpart store will have a fuse tap. ( basically its a fuse 15 or 30 that has a place to put the wires and the fuse plugs in.)

#11 ·
I put this set of headrest players in my Avalanche this past summer.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-GRAY-7-CAR-DVD-HEADREST-MONITORS-LCD-2-DVD-PLAYER_W0QQitemZ120376831207QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0704ace7
I paid $226 including shipping. I already had power run from an auxiliary fuse block that used to power a set of velcro-strapped on dvd players, so there was no problem powering them. The T&C van we are picking up tomorrow does not have DVD in it , so I plan to put a set of these in. I was concerned about the quality because of the price, but they are very nice. The vinyl cover does not look cheap, it is nice soft textured vinyl. It is easy to operate and has a good picture. You can wire them together to play the same dvd on both, or play 2 different dvds. Has built in speakers with good volume, or you can listen through vehicle FM radio via built in transmitter, or they also come with wireless headphones(players will also play CD's). Comes with games and controllers, too.
The only problem I had installing them was finding a place for the excess wires. They come with RCA-plug wires to link the two together, as well as the power and ground wires. I did not want to stuff the wires into the seatback because of the adjustable lumbar support system in the seat might pinch them.
I am going to put them in the drivers and passenger front seat. The 3rd row passenger should have no problem viewing the monitor on the opposite side they are sitting.:ThumbsUp:

#12 ·
The problem with headrest monitors(in the 1st row headrests) is how do the 3rd row passengers watch? The OP did mention an issue with view from there.
What I was gonna answer is that I don't think that climate control panel on the roof would obscure the screen. When deployed, the top of the viewing portion of the screen for most of these devices is at least 2" below the roof, probably more. Some players or monitors even have spacers for mounting even lower. The 3rd row still does view from a downward angle, not as much as the 2nd row but still an angle, and they're probably kids, which puts their heads pretty low. My folks are considering this in their 08 and I have measured and examined it thoroughly. I concluded that in our case there will be no obstruction at all from it.
I have bought a good number of car DVD players and have always been disappointed with cheap off brands. Go with a well respected car audio name like Clarion or Pioneer or what have you. It does cost more but it's worth it. Whether you go with headrests or roof mount, you still have to run wires, to me the effort is the same for both. To get the audio signal to the radio there is an auxmod to connect to its aux input but the store feels they don't make one for the 08+. That leaves an FM modulator. A wired one works with less interference than a wireless. The cheapie I have in mine now actually has a built in wireless one, and the static is too great for my tastes and I plan to go into the aux input. It's an aftermarket radio but unfortunately it's so new the aux is a little jack in the front instead of rear RCAs.
You can get a player that goes in the stack below the dash and run the video signal to a roof monitor or headrest monitors, or a roof unit that is both the player and the screen. I've had a few examples of both over the years. Or headrest player/screens as the guys have shown. I currently run a roof player/monitor and will add a second monitor for the 3rd row. In 2 minivans I have installed 4 different systems and I've never heard anything rattle in the roof.

#13 ·
I have the RES in my 08. It has dual screens but as I rarely have people in the 3rd row, it hardly ever gets used. The 2nd row screen, however is ALWAYS being used.

Firstly, it's a great tool to help kids get distracted for a "period" of time. Not the ENTIRE time, but this thread isn't about parenting...lol.

Secondly, is the problem. With the screen down, it obscures the view CONSIDERABLY. You can only see out the edges and even then I find it a safety issue. Not to mention that when the screen is down, it will ALWAYS turn the electrochromatic rear view and drivers mirror to DARKEN 100% of the time. This is not good. My next vehicle, if I can avoid it will have screens in the headrests.

#14 ·
I just installed an overhead dvd player on my 2009GC. All I did was take out the rear ac/heater controls completely out. Since the kids do not use this and it can be controlled from the driver side. I was able to use the existing hole where the ac/heater controls to run the wires and mount the 12 in. dvd player.

#16 ·
Our old 2000 Caravan did not have any DVD system in it. It was a base model, but I installed a DVD flip up player in place of the radio, then installed a 15" flip down where the center dome light is. It was easy to install overall. Cost around $300 for it all. Never had any problems with it, even rattling as someone said, and it was so big everyone in back of the van could see, as well as the people following behind us on the freeway!

The 2008 that we just got has the dual VES system. Small but the kids like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.