The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Engine fuse keeps blowing (20Amp)

34K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  damonmorrow 
#1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine has a '97 Plymouth Grand Voyager. She was driving it and it turned off...turned out to be the "engine fuse" which is a 20Amp fuse under the hood. Her husband replaced it and all was fine again. Well 1 week later the fuse blew again. I know my van wouldn't run when I pulled the fuse and I got an ignition coil check engine code (I did it just to see what happens). What would cause this fuse to keep blowing on her van?

#2 ·
Can't say for sure but it sounds like the autoshutdown fuse number 12. The fuses on my schematics are numbered and not "labeled". This fuse conducts power to the autoshutdown relay coil and output contacts, O2 sensor heaters, fuel injectors and PCM. Tough to troubleshoot intermittent problems. For now you could inspect connections and wire harnesses for corrosion/chaffing/security. Disconnect the battery first to prevent PCM damage. If it come to swaptronics as a fix, try a junkyard for the cheapest way out.

#4 ·
Check your O2 sensor wiring. It's near the exhaust and if it touches, it'll burn through and cause an intermittent as you hit bumps. Also check all wiring anywhere NEAR the exhaust. There's many other wires that hang near the exhaust that can touch and short as the van bounces around.

#5 ·
I'll let them know to check this stuff out....someone mentioned to them to replace their cam position sensor....don't know what that would have to do with anything.

#7 ·
20amp engine fuse blowin

I just ran into this problem. I unplugged the connector to the coils replaced the fuse and it blew. So I inspected all connectors on the circuit. I noticed the o2 sensor connectors were burnt from the exhaust. I removed the upper intake cut the original wires and replaced it with a universal o2. I put every thing back together, replaced the 20amp fuse, start her up and good to go.

P.S. buy a new upper intake gasket and big box of 20amp fuses to be on the safe side.
If this is'nt your problem you will need the fuses to keep testing all componets on
circuit till the fuse stops blowing then you found the problem. Don't buy anthing
else till you done all possible tests to find the problem.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.