converting from bench to captain's chairs non stow and go

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: converting from bench to captain's chairs non stow and go

Thanks

converting from bench to captain's chairs non stow and go

I have a 2005 Town and Country non-sxt that I need to replace a third row bench seat. I thought about moving the 2nd row back to the rear of the van and then putting two captain's chairs in. I was wondering if they would fit into the existing rails?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leaperk View Post
    I have a 2005 Town and Country non-sxt that I need to replace a third row bench seat. I thought about moving the 2nd row back to the rear of the van and then putting two captain's chairs in. I was wondering if they would fit into the existing rails?
    Due to the rear wheel wells protruding into the cabin, I do not believe there will be enough of a side margin to allow you to put captains chairs in the 3rd row of your Town & Country. However, I haven't tried on the 4th generation vans.
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysler1924 View Post
    Due to the rear wheel wells protruding into the cabin, I do not believe there will be enough of a side margin to allow you to put captains chairs in the 3rd row of your Town & Country. However, I haven't tried on the 4th generation vans.
    I agree, and I have tried it--you can't move the 2nd row captains chairs to the third row.

But the original poster is not asking that. I believe he is asking about moving the second row seat to the rear, and putting captain's chairs in the second row of a non stow-n-go van that had a bench in the second row.

I would not be surprised to learn that the floor is the same whether or not you have captains chairs or a bench in the second row. In a van that originally came with captains chairs, there are four rows of wells to receive the latches that are visible, whereas with a bench seat, there are only two. I would be willing to bet that the wells are there, they're just not visible.

The second row bench seat will not fit in the third row. Every Chrysler van I have had accommodates the third row seat(s) in the second row, but none of them have been able to handle moving the second row seats (either bench or buckets) to the third row. As CHrysler1924 pointed out, the wheel wells get in the way.

If you are still curious, I would loosen the plastic doorsills on either side, and the back, and lift up the carpet to see if there are indeed four rows of wells. If there are, you still have some work to do. You can't just cut holes in the carpet: you will need to purchase four plastic edges (or maybe only two, if the ones for the bench are shaped the same). The shape of the sides of the plastic covers works together with the wells in the floor for proper latching to take place.

Another option you might try, once you've learned about the floor, is getting a split-folding third row seat. It's actually two seats, one for each side, but it fits between the wheel wells, and each piece is much easier to remove than a single bench. That would need four rows of wells, just like the four I've described above. I have pictures of my former 03 out on photobucket, but cannot access it from work, so I can't include a link or a thumb. However, you can probably find pictures of vans with that option on cars.com or autotrader.com.

Good luck.
    Last edited by mmahamm; 05-18-2009 at 02:27 PM.
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 120K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 98K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 75K mi

Thanks

Talking

Welcome to the forum

Usually, the second row bench seat will not fit in the third row location, however. For replacement, you probably will need to go to a recycling yard and look for a similar one. Specifically the same way yours latches into the floor.
    1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 3.3L LWB-- 222,222 miles and counting ......
    Still Going Strong

Thanks

Did any van ever come out with 3rd row captains chairs? Mine has the mounts for them under the 3rd row, btw the center captains chairs do actually fit the 3rd row mounts. You have to swap them side to side but that renders them useless as the seatbelt buckle is now on the outboard side. If I actually owned my van, rather then lease it, I would have looked into this further.
    Ian from downunder
    Former:2003 Chrysler Grand Voyager SE

+ Reply to Thread