Engine rattle on acceleration

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Engine rattle on acceleration

Thanks

Engine rattle on acceleration

Greetings,
    1997 Chrysler T&C 190,000 miles. Driving back from Chicago 3 weeks ago I started noticing a rattle when the engine would upshift at highway speed (on cruise control), even in the slightest hill. I have also noticed the same noise for a few seconds when first turning the engine on in the morning. My first theory was the knock sensor (does the knock sensor give an error code if not working?), either way I changed it but the rattle continues, it is definitely on the "front" of the engine (pass. side). I tried the "garden hose" method but I cannot find where the rattle originates. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Cool

Sounds to me like a rod bearing, or collar. Wouldn't hurt to plan a rebuild, or engine swap.
    1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 3.3L LWB-- 207,000 miles and counting ......
    333,134.21 kilometers, for you metric buffs ......
    For Sale - Make Offer

Thanks

Thank you Traveller. What is the life expectancy of one of these 3.8 engines?
    I am religious about doing the proper maintenance. What year engines could be candidates for a swap? Thank you again!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Carlitos View Post
    I am religious about doing the proper maintenance. What year engines could be candidates for a swap? Thank you again!
    Do not in any way jump to the conclusion that you need to rebuild your engine as the 3.8 liter engine (and its virtually identical 3.3 sibling) are well known for being able to deliver hundreds of thousands of miles with just regular maintenance.

As for your rattle, there are several ways in which you might diagnose the noise including the garden hose method (although you might have to figure out how rig it so that you can listen while you drive) or find a garage that has those new radio transmitter listening devices that they can stick all over the engine compartment to isolate the location of a noise. Your problem could be as simple as resonance in the exhaust system, a bad motor mount or any number of other relatively inexpensive to fix problems.
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro (5-Speed manual)
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2009 Mazda3 i Touring (5-Speed manual)
    2012 VW GTI (6-Speed manual)

Thanks

Talking

The 3.3L & 3.8L are essentially the same engine, but different bore and stroke. Some engines will last 400kmiles (no one has commented about rebuilt in the interim), others may go sooner. I rebuilt mine around 167kmiles. The rings were all carboned up and the mpg was suffering. We have a crappy "blend", here, to make our "smog" indistinguishable from the stuff that blows in from California.

Most of the feedback on the forum is "They last a very long time" !!!
    They really "ARE" good engines.

The major differences over the years are "intake manifold" and "exhaust". If you keep your wiring harness, as well as intake and exhaust, you can easily swap in most any "long block" (flex or not). You may wish to stay near the same year as yours or newer, there may have been some sensors that might have been added on the block that may not be on the older blocks (no place to mount them).

Several people have done engine swaps, and I'm sure will share their "hands-on expertise" with you. Give them a few days to check the forum.

As to rebuilding, the Haynes manual is very straight forward. I did mine in 3 weekends, in the van. 1st) to dismantle, send out heads for check and rebuild. 2nd) hone cylinders and prep everything, get new parts (inc: headbolts & intake bolts, front and rear main seals). 3rd) put it back together. You'll want to do the water pump, tensioner & pulley, static idler pulley, t-stat, and radiator cap (lever type), plugs, wires, hoses, injectors, while you're there. Consider your Alternator and power steering pump, if you haven't already replaced them, as well. They're much easier to do now, than later. Check the TSB's on the fuel rail and rail hoses, you may need to replace them, as well.

You'll be good for another 190kmiles.

Have you had to rebuild your tranny, yet?
    1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 3.3L LWB-- 207,000 miles and counting ......
    333,134.21 kilometers, for you metric buffs ......
    For Sale - Make Offer

Thanks

First is there any performance issue(s)? If not when was the last tune up? You may also have nothing more than an exhaust leak. Perhaps a bad donut or cracked/loose exhaust manifold or a cat con that has loose substrate even a bad muffler.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 985 Posts

Greetings,
    1997 Chrysler T&C 190,000 miles. Driving back from Chicago 3 weeks ago I started noticing a rattle when the engine would upshift at highway speed (on cruise control), even in the slightest hill. I have also noticed the same noise for a few seconds when first turning the engine on in the morning. My first theory was the knock sensor (does the knock sensor give an error code if not working?), either way I changed it but the rattle continues, it is definitely on the "front" of the engine (pass. side). I tried the "garden hose" method but I cannot find where the rattle originates. Any suggestions?
    Internal rather than external
    Heat shield
    Did you take the oil filler cap off and listen there?
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 115,600 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 314,240 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 246,430 kms

Thanks

May even be a case of bad gas and you may be getting engine Ping or knock.
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DSMLVR View Post
    May even be a case of bad gas and you may be getting engine Ping or knock.
    Could be..........you should hear the noises I make when I get "bad gas"

Thanks

Torque converters have been known to knock...

+ Reply to Thread