rear heater tubes rotted through

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: rear heater tubes rotted through

Thanks

Smile rear heater tubes rotted through

rear heater tubes rotted through.I was considering bypassing the rear heat,because the tubes to replace are very expensive.but after doing some research,and talking with mechanics,I decided to relace the tubes with heater hose.the section of tube that had rotted through was along the fire wall and came down the right rear of the engine.anyhow i took a dremmel tool and cut out the bad sections of tube on the supply and return lines.a little dificult due to the tight space but didn't take to long.I bought good heater hose and clamps and installed them,I also put on plastic wiring harness over the hose to protect it form road debris.i then put on zap straps and connected the hose to the rear a/c lines so they wouldnt be flapping around.Due to losing alot of coolant I also flushed the whole cooling system(which had needed to be done).and replaced with new coolant.It has been about 2 weeks since I did this repair and all is fine so far.have no leakes.and rear heat works well.the whole process took a few hrs but was worth it to have the rear heat.and was not to difficult.although I live in a fairly mild climate(vancouver island,British Columbia) it is very damp,in the fall winter and spring.so having the rear heat is more to keep things dry and to not get mildew.well if anyone one else has this problem,it is a good DIY fix.
    [CENTER]229,000KM and counting....[/CENTER]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

So you ran heater tube from the firewall down to where they connect under the passenger seat there abouts? I need to do the same thing in the near future. Hom much of the original heater line was protruding from the firewall once you cut it? Also how much if any disassembly had to be done to cut them off at the firewall and get the old pipes out?.
    1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Se AWD
    152,345 km 3.8 engine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 921 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wellex View Post
    So you ran heater tube from the firewall down to where they connect under the passenger seat there abouts? I need to do the same thing in the near future. Hom much of the original heater line was protruding from the firewall once you cut it? Also how much if any disassembly had to be done to cut them off at the firewall and get the old pipes out?.
    Check your heater pipes. I think you will find pieces of hose for connections at the top. Don't have to worry about cutting any pipes through the fire wall. All in all, there is a fair amount of heater hose in the assembly as is.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 112,920 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 311,200 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 251,430 kms

Thanks

O.K. I cut the heater tube where it starts to bend down,to follow the fire wall.where I still had good tubing left.tight space to cut so be very carefull,and then if you look under the van at about the passanger seat you will see where the heater tube runs into about 8" of heater hose and the heater hose is again conected to heater tubing wich runs back to the rear heater core..So I cut the tubing where I said and then diconected the heater hose under the passanger seat.and ran new heater hose from there back up to where I cut the tubing out.and clamped it back together .I used the good screw type clamps and not the ones that are on the van holding the original heater hose.I then put on the plastic wire harness to cover the whole length of hose as to protect it.I ended up cutting away about 3 1/2 feet of tubing,for both the supply and return lines.the whole fix ended up costing aprox $30 including the coolant which I mixed 50/50.also side note make sure you drain the heater line before you start to make any cuts.so just disconect under the passanger seat and drain from there.
    [CENTER]229,000KM and counting....[/CENTER]

Thanks

Same happened to me. Dealer charged $250 for replacement i think the old line was steel and new one is made out if aluminum.
    Silver 2002 Chrysler T&C EX 3.8
    Just hit 100,000 miles and counting.

Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy76 View Post
    Same happened to me. Dealer charged $250 for replacement i think the old line was steel and new one is made out if aluminum.
    Hmmmmmmm, either dealers are getting smarter, or they're more desperate and are willing to reduce cost of parts. Last mention of aluminum replacements, was over $250, just for parts, not including labor. So, to get the whole job for $250, isn't too bad.

I still like the one where a guy, here on the forum, used copper tubing, some "T's" and some "45 deg" to make his own.

Anyone want to put together a "parts list" for do it yourself from the hardware store? Maybe Glen can make a "sticky" of it for future repair referrals?
    1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 3.3L LWB-- 222,222 miles and counting ......
    Still Going Strong

Thanks

Can someone post pictures of what "bad condition" rear heater lines look like. I mean, I know I can use my imagination... but I'm just curious... I keep looking under 3rd gen vans that I have around me to find an example and yet I haven't found one yet that seems to have what I would even remotely call "rusted through" heater lines.
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysler1924 View Post
    Can someone post pictures of what "bad condition" rear heater lines look like. I mean, I know I can use my imagination... but I'm just curious... I keep looking under 3rd gen vans that I have around me to find an example and yet I haven't found one yet that seems to have what I would even remotely call "rusted through" heater lines.
    i have a 4th gen van and the heater lines runs under the passenger side. the main area that gets really bad is the front where the line makes a bend right under the passenger side. i don't know if the 3rd gen is the same though. my line was really bad the rust was bubbled up and i had a small stream of antifreeze leaking out. luckily i caught it within time in the driveway and not far away from home.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzTraveller View Post
    Hmmmmmmm, either dealers are getting smarter, or they're more desperate and are willing to reduce cost of parts. Last mention of aluminum replacements, was over $250, just for parts, not including labor. So, to get the whole job for $250, isn't too bad.

I still like the one where a guy, here on the forum, used copper tubing, some "T's" and some "45 deg" to make his own.

Anyone want to put together a "parts list" for do it yourself from the hardware store? Maybe Glen can make a "sticky" of it for future repair referrals?
    hey, you can't forget duct tape!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy76 View Post
    thats not bad my dealer wants $400 .
    2014 Dodge Grand Caravan AVP
    Deep Cherry Red
    1000 miles
    2008 Isuzu Ascender
    Midnight Blue Metallic
    70000 miles

+ Reply to Thread