The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

"Service Tire System Soon" message. Need help!

33K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  n8ech 
#1 ·
Ok, I have a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country Limited AWD. I have read through all of the threads I can about this and have not found a conclusion for my situation. Here is what’s going on…

I just had new tires put on a couple weeks ago. Prior to having them replaced there was no problem with the TPMS, it was working correctly. Right after having the tires replaced I got the message “service tire system soon”. This message literally came up as I was pulling out of the parking lot of the tire place. I had the tire shop retrain the TPM sensors. They all seem to train correctly but after driving for a minute I got the message back. I have retrained all of the tires myself since and agree that they appear to train correctly but the problem still remains.

At this point I took it in to the local Chrysler dealer and had them run diagnostics on it. They diagnosed that the SKIM was bad and that it was not maintaining the memory from the 4 tire pressure monitor sensors inside the tires. This didn’t seem to make much sense to me since from what I have heard and read the skim is there for anti-theft. Everything I read says the SKIM is what the keys have to be programmed to in order for the car to run with the key. I did not find anything linking the skim to the TPMS.
In any sense, I replaced the SKIM and had the dealer reprogram the keys to it thinking they knew best. Sure enough, I drive away and the message comes back on, “Service Tire System Soon”. At this point I am so frustrated that I don’t know what to do next. The dealer says the next step is to replace the PCM (powertrain control module). At $600 + $100 for programming I am not ready to do this until I get good reason to do so. Everything else is running perfectly fine on the vehicle.

Some side notes… The factory tire size is a 215/65/R16. When I bought the vehicle it had 225/60/R16 tires on it so I replaced them with the same size. The tire pressure tag on the drivers side door says the tires need to be 36 PSI cold. When I checked them tonight they were at 40 PSI. I let pressure out until they were down to 36 PSI and retrained the tires again with the magnet. Same error message, “Service Tire System Soon”.

I am really hoping that someone here can help me figure this out. First, is the SKIM linked in any way to the TPMS? Second, if so, having replaced the SKIM, what might the problem be? Third, could the PCM be bad and only be impacting the TPMS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ray

See less See more
#2 ·
Your problem could be the actual TPMS sensors at your 4 wheels. It's internal batteries might be getting weak, 2009 - 2002 = 7 years old TPMS batteries, would be due for replacement anyway.

You could try replacing the 4 wheel sensors, buy it online . . . cheaper than replacing the whole shebang computer unit.:thumb:

Bulldog Van

#3 ·
Good luck Ray. I have the same van year and everything. Yours isn't silver too is it? Anyway I have the exact same problem. I talked to a dealer and tire shop with no luck. I have just been dealing with it. The funny thing is it still tells me if a tire is to low or to high. I tested each of the four tires to make sure. If you do come up with a solution please pass it along as the ding and message is annoying.

#4 ·
MIne has been doing the same thing as well but quit once it became warm as we got out of winter so I am convinced it has to do with the battery strength level in the sensors in each tire.

I talked to the local dealer which I was a former tech at and they said most likely the best action is to replace all the sensor at one time. I am betting once it gets cold here agin it will start chiming service system again soon.

#6 ·
Did you try disconnecting the battery? That fixes half of my electrical problems. This is very suspicious that it happened as you were leaving the tire place.

Do the TPMS have replaceable batteries or do they get thrown away when they die?

#8 ·
Hi Ray:
I would agree that the PCM would be a very unlikely candidate for this issue, although there are exception to every rule.

BTW, if your van is under 80k and 8 years old, the PCM will be FREE since they are warranted for 8/80 by Federal mandate.

Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.