The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Reference: 3.3/3.8L Fluid Capacities & Specifications

496K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  Lexcelsior 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd post this information from the 2000 model year owner's manual which should be the most current information for the 3rd generation as it is the final year. Perhaps a global moderator can make this a sticky so that it can easily accessible to all who may need it.

------------------------------
FLUID CAPACITIES
Fuel (Approximate) - 20 US Gallons (76 Liters)
Cooling System*
3.3 and 3.8 Liter Engines - 13.23 Quarts (12.5 Liters)

NOTE:
- *Includes heater and coolant recovery bottle filled to MAX level.
- Add 2.9 quarts (2.7 Liters) if equipped with a rear heater.

Engine Oil
3.3 and 3.8 Liter Engines - 4.5 Quarts (4.0 Liters)
------------------------------
SPECIFICATIONS
Oil Filter - Mopar 5281090 or Equiv.
Engine Oil - 5W-30
Automatic Transaxle Fluid - Mopar ATF+4 or ATF+4 Type 9602®
Fuel Selection - 87 octane

Copyright © 2009 DaimlerChrysler Corporation

See less See more
#2 ·
What about the 3 liter?

#4 ·
Someone will have to add on the 3.0 specs from a book thats not a T&C book. The T&C's never came with the 3.0, someone with a voyager or caravan be kind and look in your book. :thumb:

#3 ·
Do you have your owner's manual... it should list these same specs in there.

#5 ·
Does anyone know what the transmission fluid capacity is? I just had the trans serviced at the dealer (pan dropped/cleaned, filter changed, and reseal). Paperwork showed charge for 6 quarts of ATF+4. I was just wondering what the entire system holds, as I knew dropping the pan wouldn't get all the fluid out.

#9 ·
I called the Dodge dealer with this question about my Dodge Ram and I got an "about" answer.....about 5 quarts but I'd buy 6 to be safe I think it can just depend. Most people drain it, then add 4 let it run til warm and check it properly then see how much they need to add after that.

#6 ·
I just double-checked my owner's manual and it does NOT list the quantity under automatic transaxle fluid unfortunately. It just lists the specific Mopar fluid type required. You could probably call the dealer anonymously and inquire...

#8 ·
Transmission fluid capacity on 97 3.3 Repshopmanual is 8.6 litr and change capacity is 3.85Litr.

#11 ·
I change the tranny fluid and filter in my 96 annually, and from experience, I can tell you that a pan drop requires 3 and 3/4 quarts of ATF.

#14 ·
well I recently did the pandrop in mine, it took 5.5 qts, granted it sat for 8 months I got 5.5 qts out, had to add the same to bring it up to proper level, today I had to do it again, long story, sat sience thursday, got 5.5 out, took the same amount to bring it back up, and yes I did check it properly at warm and hot.

#15 ·
When I dropped the pan and filter on my grandfather's 07 it held almost 5 quarts. I think it depends on how much you let it drain. May also depend on vehicle position as you may get more or less depending on if it is setting uphill or downhill. His was pretty much flat.

#21 ·
Didn't I read here a couple of years ago that the oil capacity changed, for the 3.3 and 3.8 engines, to 5 quarts, at some point after MY 2005?

#24 ·
I've never dry filled a 41te, but I believe its 12 quarts.

I emptied one out as much as possible when doing the trans swap on mine and it took in 10 quarts when I filled it.

#26 ·
Because the total volume of the tank is 20 gallons. You can run it down 19 gallons or so before the pump runs dry. Unless you constanty wanted to run out of gas, the sending unit shows its time for gas so you can still drive to the station.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.