99 town and country alarm problem

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 99 town and country alarm problem

Thanks

99 town and country alarm problem

Hello we can't lock our doors because if we do then the alarm goes off after a couple minutes. Is there a way to reset the alarm? Please help I hate leaving my car unlocked.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I have the same issue and to lock the van without setting the alarm you do the following.
    1. With drivers door open press lock button on remote.
    2. Press unlock once so driver door only unlocks
    3. press down button on drivers door and close door. Not the button for all doors just the slider button.
    If you take the van to the dealer they can scan the alarm system to see what is setting it off. They told me to diagnose the alarm your trunk key must work which mine does not. It's seized up.
    1999 Chrysler T&C Limited AWD 250,000kms

Thanks

This problem seems to be ailing more and more 2nd Edition (1998-2000) 3rd Generation vans as time wears on. I'm willing to bet that you have a door ajar sensor that is not quite making sufficient enough contact to close the circuit due to a slightly misaligned door. This would cause the door to shift ever so slightly due to wind/gravity/vehicle movement, causing the circuit to break and the alarm to be triggered. I can almost guarantee nothing is wrong with the theft-deterrent system on your vehicle, but you should probably have your sliding doors checked to make sure that they are probably aligned and closing properly.
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rayodunne View Post
    I have the same issue and to lock the van without setting the alarm you do the following.
    1. With drivers door open press lock button on remote.
    2. Press unlock once so driver door only unlocks
    3. press down button on drivers door and close door. Not the button for all doors just the slider button.
    If you take the van to the dealer they can scan the alarm system to see what is setting it off. They told me to diagnose the alarm your trunk key must work which mine does not. It's seized up.
    We do not have an alarm remote. We never got one when we purchased the van used. Do you know how we can disable the alarm when we only have the door and ignition key for our van? The alarm randomly going off in the middle of the night is driving us and our neighbors up a wall. zof course Chrysler wants a lot of money to do anything with the alarm on the van. At this point all we want to do is turn the darn thing off entirely.

Thanks

Since the post did not mentioned if it's a factory system or an aftermarket alarm:
    Factory security system should turn off with the chipped (Grey) ignition key. You may have to turn the key to "RUN" position.
    Most aftermarket alarm systems can be turned off via "valet" switch.. (turn key "OFF"->"RUN" and press / toggle the valet switch in 15 seconds)

AS A TEMP FIX: Pull the fuse to the horn (until you figure it out)

If you have a multimeter or can find someone with one, check the driver door ajar sensor (on 3rd gen a small plastic button on "A" pillar - approx near the door handle on the frame)
    (Logic being: driver's door is most operated and gets more "wear")

PS: to my knowledge Factory Alarm is part of BCM (body control module) and it will need to be flashed with DRBIII to change security functions.. might be cheaper to replace all door sensors...
    Last edited by atoman; 05-25-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atoman View Post
    Since the post did not mentioned if it's a factory system or an aftermarket alarm:
    Factory security system should turn off with the chipped (Grey) ignition key. You may have to turn the key to "RUN" position.
    Most aftermarket alarm systems can be turned off via "valet" switch.. (turn key "OFF"->"RUN" and press / toggle the valet switch in 15 seconds)

AS A TEMP FIX: Pull the fuse to the horn (until you figure it out)

If you have a multimeter or can find someone with one, check the driver door ajar sensor (on 3rd gen a small plastic button on "A" pillar - approx near the door handle on the frame)
    (Logic being: driver's door is most operated and gets more "wear")

PS: to my knowledge Factory Alarm is part of BCM (body control module) and it will need to be flashed with DRBIII to change security functions.. might be cheaper to replace all door sensors...
    My 3rd Gen van does not have a grey key. It came with 3 keys all black. 2 keys that work everything and a valet key that just does door locks and ignition.
    Door Ajar switches on this van are open (i.e. No current flow) when the door is closed. I checked all mine and they operate fine. There is a mux switch on the key cylinders which is also part of the alarm system.
    1999 Chrysler T&C Limited AWD 250,000kms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rayodunne View Post
    Door Ajar switches on this van are open (i.e. No current flow) when the door is closed. I checked all mine and they operate fine. There is a mux switch on the key cylinders which is also part of the alarm system.
    I don't mean to belabor an issue, or beat a dead horse- but when I was having this same exact problem on my own 2000 Town & Country Limited, the dealers that I took it to said the very same thing. The door ajar switches are operating fine with no current flow when the door is closed. So they swore that this is not the problem.

It turns out, that indeed, it wasn't the problem. One of my sliding doors, the passenger side sliding door is slightly out of alignment. Certain temperatures will make the condition act up worse, but it is out of alignment which will cause the alarm to go off after the van has been left alone and the theft-deterrent system has been armed. I'm willing to put money on the fact that one of your sliding doors is ever so slightly out of alignment. It just takes a hair.

I physically cannot tell by looking that my sliding door is out of alignment, but it most DEFINITELY is... and that's what is causing it. I killed the issue by slamming cardboard in between the door and the frame causing the extra thickness to press the rear of the door up against the sensor tighter until I can get it repaired.

Yet another reason why I prefer my 1996 over my 2000.
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

+ Reply to Thread