You're IAT, you're OAT and you don't give a HOAT - Zerex G-05 FAQs

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: You're IAT, you're OAT and you don't give a HOAT - Zerex G-05 FAQs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gsmagnum View Post
    Is there any HOAT that is already premixed?
    Otherwise, I'll stick to distilled/demineralized water to mix it with.
    What's everyones opinion on the water to mix with? I'm just wondering as I believe that it is not necessary unless you have well water or the like with high mineral contents. I have city water from lake michigan and I use it straight out of the garden hose with no problems. I've been doing this for years and my dad many years before me the same way with no problems at all.

The only cooling issues we've ever had were the rusty heater pipes on my van, our durango needed a new water pump at 150k, and the 16 year old radiator on our ford econoline has a slight leak sometimes, the ford has probably never even had its coolant changed. I take it that none of these problems were related to the use of our tap water.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

My opinion is that distilled/demineralized water is less than $1 per gallon and therefore cheap insurance.
    I have seen cooling systems sludge up. Whether that was minerals or just neglect to change the stuff before all additives were gone is anybody's guess.

I am also not a fan of Chorinated and flourinated city water which is what I have.
    Last edited by gsmagnum; 10-20-2009 at 12:15 AM. Reason: More info.
    Grant
    Mopars currently owned:
    1975 Dodge D-100 4x4 400

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 1,020 Posts

The Owner Manual for a 2009 van says:
    Use only high purity water such as distilled or deionized water when mixing the water/engine coolant (antifreeze) solution. The use of lower quality water will reduce the amount of corrosion protection in the engine cooling system.
    Valvoline says about their Zerex G-05 premixed coolant:
    For convenience and protection, try Zerex® G-05 Ready To Use. Zerex® G-05 Ready To Use combines the excellent temperature and corrosion protection of Zerex® G-05 with de-mineralized water to help reduce the risk of cooling system deposits. The 50/50 mixture provides protection down to -34°F
    City water may not be all that bad, depends, does contain minerals though. The water from my drilled well would not be good, I would expect problems, but who knows without a chemical analysis. It's very corrosive in its raw form plus it is conditioned with a water softener (salt) in its final form.

I have a distiller, which I rarely use, but do have some distilled water made up for topping up batteries, which I must do before winter sets in.

For coolant I buy the demineralized water. $5.00 Canadian, or less, for 19 liters (20 US quarts). For long life coolants, that's is a very small yearly cost (over 5 years). I recommend that route.
    Last edited by Jeepman; 10-20-2009 at 08:57 AM.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 115,600 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 314,240 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 246,430 kms

Thanks

What are you going to buy?

Looking through a Canadian Tire store this evening and noticed that the only vehicle Manufacturer getting any respect with regard to antifreeze was GM. There was Dexcool there made by Prestone with "GM Approved" on it. There was no HOAT or mention of HOAT. Canadian Tire is a major retail outlet for automotive products in Canada.

I did notice several brands of long life antifreeze there, including Canadian Tire's house brand. There was also some lifetime stuff there as well. Universal or Global types were in abundance with statements like this:
    LongLife coolant technology that is compatible for use in all automobiles and light duty trucks, regardless of make, model, year or original antifreeze color.
    So if one took their HOAT touting van to Canadian Tire for a flush and coolant change, they would likely get a long life, non Hoat product. In fact, the coolant would likely be closer to OAT (Dexcool) with no silicates or phosphates.

One of the brands carried by Canadian Tire is Peak.
    PEAK Long Life Antifreeze & Coolant
    - Compatible for use in all automobiles and light duty trucks

- Amber color will not change the current antifreeze color when used for topping off

- Provides 150,000 miles or 5 years of maximum protection when a complete cooling system flush and fill is performed

- Features a phosphate-free and silicate-free formula
    PEAK Global™ LifeTime™ Antifreeze & Coolant
    - Provides guaranteed LifeTime protection - for as long as you own your vehicle - when a complete cooling system flush and fill is performed and specified maintenance followed

- Formulated for use in all American, Asian and European automobiles

- Features a patented non 2-EH formula that is phosphate-free and silicate-free

- Can be used to top-off any color of automotive antifreeze including green, yellow, orange, fuschia, blue and red

- Amber color will not change the current antifreeze color when used for topping off
    Sooooooo, is HOAT out? It certainly isn't getting any respect at Canadian Tire. Looks like Dexcool clones win out and are the universal antifreeze per the Canadian Tire shelves.

Zerex HOAT G-05 is available at WalMart here, but for how much longer Perhaps Valvoline is the only manufacturer of HOAT and that's the problem
    Last edited by Jeepman; 11-03-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks

Informative article.

Now, the important part; both the orange and the yellow absoultely suck with vodka...stick to the green for drinking! :cheers:

Thanks

Now, the important part; both the orange and the yellow absoultely suck with vodka...stick to the green for drinking! :cheers:
    The "Original Green" rules.

Thanks

The many colors of antifreeze

This site explains the different types and colors quite well.

This long life Peak antifreeze is looking good especially since it is on sale this coming week at Canadian Tire.
    Q. Is PEAK Global LifeTime Antifreeze & Coolant compatible with other brands of extended life antifreeze?

A. Yes, PEAK Global LifeTime Antifreeze’s unique and patented technology is fully compatible with and can be used to top-off other extended life coolants including General Motor’s DEX-COOL and the new Ford and Chrysler extended life coolants. However, to realize the guaranteed LifeTime of cooling system protection provided by PEAK Global LifeTime Antifreeze, a complete cooling system flush and fill is required.

Q. Why is PEAK Global LifeTime Antifreeze & Coolant Amber in color?

A. Today there is a rainbow of automotive coolant colors. You may even be unsure of your vehicle’s current antifreeze color. Because PEAK Global LifeTime Antifreeze is the first antifreeze specifically formulated for use in all makes and models, the unique amber color will not change the color of your antifreeze when used to top off the cooling system. So if your antifreeze is already green, it will stay green, or orange, or yellow or blue …

When you flush, drain and refill your cooling system with PEAK Global LifeTime Antifreeze, the unique amber color let’s you know your automobile is provided with maximum cooling system protection.

PEAK Global LifeTime Antifreeze is the solution to the color confusion.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply