Why wont this start?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why wont this start?

Thanks

Why wont this start?

I'm a newbie to this forum, and I'm pretty much at a loss. I have a 1995 plymouth voyager w/ 3.0 liter and about 115k on the clock. It was running perfect until recently when it died without warning in my garage. I can crank and crank without so much as a sputter. I can still hear the fuel pump and fuel is making it to the engine. The fuses and relays seem to check out just fine. When I sprayed starter fluid in the intake it fire right up (not well but still turned over) then died. I also did the key dance thing with code #'s 12 and 37 coming up. I understand the 12 but the 37 doesn't make sense to me. I'm somewhat of a novice mechanic but willing to try just about anything, and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Eric

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Chrysler Fault Code 37: baro-read solenoid open or shorted

For turbocharged engines, code 37 will be triggered when the baro-read solenoid circuit is open or shorted.

For normally aspirated (non turbo) engines with automatic transmissions, code 37 will be triggered when the Part Throttle Unlock (PTU) solenoid circuit is open or shorted.

For normally aspirated cars with manual transmissions, code 37 is sometimes set for no apparent reason.
    Something to do with the torque converter lock up...Check for spark. Pull the wires off the plugs one at a time, put a screw driver in the wire then lay it where the screw driver is close to something metal and grounded. Have someone try to start it and see if a spark arcs from the screw driver to the grounded metal (valve cover, etc.) You can do the same thing at the wire/distributor instead of at the wire/plug to rule out a bad wire if that problem ever arises.
    2001 Infiniti i30 3.0 DOHC V6: VQ30DE 177,000 miles; 1999 Nissan Altima GLE KA24 168,000 Miles
    1997 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9 46RE, 182,000 Miles
    Prev. 97 T&C LXi 184k 3.8, 94 T&C 3.8 156k Miles, 93 GV LE 3.3 123k

Thanks

Well I did the spark test and it is getting spark. Would that PTU solenoid have anything to do with the problem, I wouldn't think so but I'll take anything right now.

Thanks, Eric

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erdaja View Post
    Well I did the spark test and it is getting spark. Would that PTU solenoid have anything to do with the problem, I wouldn't think so but I'll take anything right now.

Thanks, Eric
    No, I wouldn't think so. I know a torque converter can kill your car when come to a stop if it doesn't unlock, but it normally starts back up. Shouldn't have anything to do with it not starting now, especially if starting fluid got it to do something. With a problem like this, I'd think there would be more codes, but it is OBD-I so maybe not. Maybe timing...how well did it run when it fired off the starting fluid?
    2001 Infiniti i30 3.0 DOHC V6: VQ30DE 177,000 miles; 1999 Nissan Altima GLE KA24 168,000 Miles
    1997 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9 46RE, 182,000 Miles
    Prev. 97 T&C LXi 184k 3.8, 94 T&C 3.8 156k Miles, 93 GV LE 3.3 123k

Thanks

When I put the starter fluid in it ran like it was running on 3 or 4 cylinders so not very well, but prior to dying it ran perfect. I'm on the verge of having it towed to a shop, I can't remember the last time I took a car to the shop without it being under warranty. Please please please anybody have any ideas.

Thanks, Eric

Thanks

If combustion takes place using starter fluid, no or not enough fuel is getting to the fuel rail. How are you checking for fuel at the engine?
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 208K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

I would check the fuel pressure, and also check your fuel pressure regulator. You can hear the pump going but it can be too weak not to give you wnough fuel pressure to porperly run/start the van.

Thanks

Could be a timing issue. Maybe the belt slipped or something. Happened to me years ago.
    If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer!!

Current ride:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L, purchased at 108,000kms. Now at 166,000km and counting)

Past rides:
    1997 Dodge Caravan Rallye (3.3L 242,000kms)
    2002 Chevrolet Cavalier (Base Model)
    1988 Ford Ranger (2.9L 2wd)
    1973 Dodge Cornet Wagon (318 cid)
    1965 Rambler Classic 550 4 dr (232 cid)
    1966 Rambler Classic 55 Wagon (232 cid)

Thanks

From reading a highschool auto text book, there are ingredients needed for combustion: air, fuel ignition and compression... the man has fire when using starting fluid so he has air, fuel, compression and ignition. According a logical troubleshooting practice, as was stated earlier, fuel pump could be the culpret. Also as stated, you need to see if you have sufficient fuel pressure 42psi seems to be what I'm finding for specification.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erdaja View Post
    I'm a newbie to this forum, and I'm pretty much at a loss. I have a 1995 plymouth voyager w/ 3.0 liter and about 115k on the clock. It was running perfect until recently when it died without warning in my garage. I can crank and crank without so much as a sputter. I can still hear the fuel pump and fuel is making it to the engine. The fuses and relays seem to check out just fine. When I sprayed starter fluid in the intake it fire right up (not well but still turned over) then died. I also did the key dance thing with code #'s 12 and 37 coming up. I understand the 12 but the 37 doesn't make sense to me. I'm somewhat of a novice mechanic but willing to try just about anything, and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Eric
    You say fuel is getting to the engine. How do you know? Are the plugs wet with fuel? If so I'll assume you are alive and breathing therefore air must be present which leaves us with spark either lack of or improperly timed. IIRC the 3.0 has an issue with the distributor. Grab one from a salvage yard and give it a go. Also if your timing belt has never been replaced and slipped it could account for this.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply