Power vent fuse?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Power vent fuse?

Thanks

Power vent fuse?

Hi
    I have a '98 Grand Caravan. The rear power vents spontaneously stopped working last night, both at the exact same time. I used to hear the motors working and now when I hit the switch there is no sound at all. I can't seem to find a fuse for these. Any ideas where that would be. I read the forums about replacing motors and switches but hoping to avoid this if possible. Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I bet the switches on the door are bad. This happened to both of my own 3rd gens. A vent, or both vents started working sporadically, and then less and less, and then not at all as the switches failed. Currently I don't have much of a need for the rear vents, so I haven't bothered to rip the door apart and change out the switches. But I would gaurantee that this is where you problem is. I kept thinking it was the motors, but not so!
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 889 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    Hi
    I have a '98 Grand Caravan. The rear power vents spontaneously stopped working last night, both at the exact same time. I used to hear the motors working and now when I hit the switch there is no sound at all. I can't seem to find a fuse for these. Any ideas where that would be. I read the forums about replacing motors and switches but hoping to avoid this if possible. Thanks for the help.
    Are you talking about the rear blower motor for heat? What's the other motor? Will they work on high, if so a resistor block or power module (automatic temperature control) is likely faulty.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 112,920 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 311,200 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 251,430 kms

Thanks

The rear power vent windows is what I am talking about, sorry.

Thanks

Yeah that sounds like the switches ,it takes about 2 minutes to remove the switches and you dont have to pull the door panel off, just a couple of screws and unplug the switches,find another set to borrow and switch them around to see if thats the problem. Easy job alls you need is a phillips screwdriver,could just be your plug is loose or dirty contacts!
    1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Se AWD
    152,345 km 3.8 engine.

Thanks

The supply fuse for the power vent windows is in the PDC next to the battery.

It is the middle one (position five from the front) of the nine big fuses, and is rated at 40 amps.
    '97 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LE (UK Model) , 167,000 miles. Dual Fuel Petrol/LPG. Tow Pack.
    Now sold. New owner is using as a project ! Replaced by a 2000 Nissan Primera 2.0L Sport+

Thanks

Trouble is, according to a 98 schematic at least, if any "fuse" in the system blows, it will effect all the windows and not just the vent windows.

BTW - All I'm seeing in the system are PTCs (thermal circuit breakers). No fuses. Two on the junction block under the dash, one in each of the motor assemblies.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 206K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

Switches? Two seperate switches going bad at the same time. Hmmm. About the same as two motors failing at the same time. I'd lean towards a problem in the circuit board in the switch assembly. Change that and you change the switches anyway. Maybe I'm "splitting hairs".
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 206K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

oops sorry I was replying to another thread about a passenger door switch not working,got ahead of myself,oh well this may solve your problem to,like I said it only takes minutes to check out the switchblock with another,try to find one from a donor vehicle.
    1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager Se AWD
    152,345 km 3.8 engine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Trouble is, according to a 98 schematic at least, if any "fuse" in the system blows, it will effect all the windows and not just the vent windows.
    Agreed. Which make it strange that only the Vents have stopped working.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    BTW - All I'm seeing in the system are PTCs (thermal circuit breakers). No fuses. Two on the junction block under the dash, one in each of the motor assemblies.
    From the Chrysler service manual CD:

HELPFUL INFORMATION
    ² Check the two 9 amp PTC’s located in the junction
    block (positions 8 & 9)
    ² Check the 40 amp fuse located in cavity 5 of the
    PDC

² Check for a good ground at the instrument panel
    left side cowl

Could this be a bad ground, or a bad ground wire from the switches ?
    '97 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LE (UK Model) , 167,000 miles. Dual Fuel Petrol/LPG. Tow Pack.
    Now sold. New owner is using as a project ! Replaced by a 2000 Nissan Primera 2.0L Sport+

+ Reply to Thread