The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Front strut replacement

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  JCamasto 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Without searching for the answer, does anyone have good instruciotns on how to change the Front struts and have the location marked in order to avoid front end alignment? I purchased the Strut quick assembly that includes new spring, boot, etc.

If somone had pictures, it will be great help.
Thanks
Moe

#4 ·
I DO NOT recommend that. My van drove great after I changed my struts, but it isn't that much money to get the alignment, and your tires will love you for it. Not to mention the fact you could prevent a high speed blowout by having the alignment done.

#6 ·
Correct, the bolts don't have cams, however, the assembly is "slotted" allowing adjustment.

It is in the "long run" best to get an alignment after disassembling these parts.

#7 ·
Year of your vehicle??
Try this site for instructions.
If you really pay attention when you line the struts up with the cam bolt and the steering knuckle (I used measurements and notes on the existing and reinstalled new in the same location relative to the steering knuckle), the alignment will remain as was very closely. Provide support for the wheel hub/disc so that the axle doesnt move outward on you and spill fluid. Best to have the side being worked on elevated some compared to the other side. Most instructions say to tighten the top three nuts before tightening the bottom two. I found that leaving the top nuts loose gave me more flexibility with installing the bottom portion where I wanted it to line up.
A Haynes Manual at about $30.00 would be a wise investment. They have installation procedures there.

- Go to http://www.oplin.org/databases/proxy2/proxy.php?doCardCheck=1&txtCardNumber=123456789
- Go to the following Library from the drop down list and submit it.
Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
- Go to ALL EBSCOhost Databases and click on it.
- Go down to Auto Repair Reference Center (ARRC) and click on it.
- Submit your YEAR and take it from there.
Note: If info isn't there for your year / model, try another year or similar model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.