Headliner sagging

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Headliner sagging

Thanks

I had the headliners in my old 83 LTD and 84 Caravan sag down both had been smoked heavily in by the previous owners. I thought the nicotine broke down the foam, never had a problem with any others. And I live in Canada
    07 Dodge Caravan SXT 3.3L Gold 105,000 kms
    05 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3L Silver 165,000 kms

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

hi the T pin suggestion-is just the easiest-cheepest way to fix the sagging-on a now old-1999 t & c van-not worth a large investment in time or dollars

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manicminivan View Post
    Theres some web sites out there that have the right proceedure to fix this. It says to only use spray adhesive for headliners. It's available from Wal-Mart in the automotive section. Comes in a Black can I think 8086 is the part number. If your headliner is looking shabby anyway, the fabric for this is like $40 from some of the online trim/upholstry sellers. Looks like it'll take the better part of a day to fix it nice.
    thank you,guess I have to go to Walmart to get a spray can as you told,see how it works

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzTraveller View Post
    My brother (on autos) takes the headliner (carboard) out, removes the cloth, measures the length and picks up matching cloth from a local fabric store. He then uses spray adhesive on the cardboard surface (generously) and then with the help of someone, spreads the new cloth over the cardboard surface and then carefully presses it onto the surface, while someone holds it over the cardboard. You have to make sure you don't get any wrinkles in it when you lay it out. He gives it several hours to dry, then cuts the holes for the lighting and wiring to stick through. Then, he slides it back into the vehicle and secures it. Looks good as new. I don't know if he's ever done anything as large as a mini-van, though.

Let me know how it turns out on such a large surface. Mine is getting to the point it needs work, too. Though, I've not considered doing it without some help (which I don't have available).
    my headliner sagging on the driver side about 7'' diameter and also on the passenger side,but from the front to the back is still ok

Thanks

the spray adhesive does not work well, unless you scrape off all of the foam that is on the headliner... the glue sticks to the foam, and then as the foam continues to deteriorate, the problem continues...

tacks dont work either, as they fall loose, yeah...

so, go to your locally owned and operated hardware store (like an Ace or Tru-Value) and ask to look at the plastic 'pins' that might do the job... there are several different sizes and styles... they cost a few cents apiece... they look like plastic tacks, with different diameter heads, and the shafts have barbs which keep them from dropping out...

use a power drill, carefully, to drill a hole through the cloth and the headliner... press the plastic 'tack' to seat it into the headliner, and you may have a couple of sags... it may not be pretty, but it will work...

regards...

dnorm
    my '91 Grand Caravan SE 3.3 L served me for 4 years, almost 250,000 mi. when I parked it.

it is now in my back yard, and will supply some parts for my '94 Grand Caravan LE 3.3 L (~195,000 mi.)
    (bought July 2008)

Thanks

hi drilling through the cloth ? drill will spin the material and cause pulling and ripping--go with the large T pins in my prior post--they work well for me -and do not ever fall out-just stick them in on an angle--done

Thanks

hi forget about the spray glue-unless you plan on pulling the headliner out -and replacing the material--it cannot be done in the van-ask me how i know

Thanks

I've done quite a few (into the hundreds) headliners since I decided to teach myself some upholstery skills.

If you want to fix it correctly, you get some new 1/16" foam (comes in rolls, about $20 last I bought some) and a new piece of fabric (can't really get it from Wally World, since their stuff is bulk and 1 yard wide) that you like.

Remove your headliner, and carefully strip the cloth from it (really shouldn't take too much to do this)

Get something with some texture to the face that is hard... like a block of wood... and start rubbing off the foam, do your best to get it all down to cardboard (again, shouldn't be too hard)

Get a few cans of 3M spray adhesive (hi-tack stuff) and spray the form (the cardboard) liberally with it, then press the new foam on, being careful not to stretch it at all.

While you're waiting for that to dry, tightly roll up your fabric so that you can unroll it across the liner from front to back.

After about an hour, you can spray some adhesive on the new foam's face, again, liberally.

Place your fabric and press firmly , then slowly roll it out, making sure to remove any air bubbles as they form. (you won't really be able to do it later). Once you've smoothed out the fabric, without stretching it, leave it dry for another hour or so, then re-install it in the van.

Headliners are really easy. Door panels can be a challenge. :P
    2000 Caravan - "Cara" - 2.4/31TH - 128,XXX
    0w30 Mobil1 Syn, SRT-4 oil filter, roof rack delete.

Thanks

As Christ said use the black can 3M #08088 General Trim Adhesive. try not to use anything else, i used permatex (orange can) and it is suck, just waste your money. be patient with helps from friends or family member and do a small section at a time
    cut extra 5 to 6 inched on each side, be generous on the fabric especially at 4 corners where it changes shape from flat surface to the round.

Thanks

There's a balkamp part out there for this. It it's a plastic disk about an inch in diameter. It's flat on one side and has a coarsely threaded pin on the other. Not certain how it would work, but, it seemed like a good idea to me. I've seen them in the "help" section of the parts stores. (You know, the same place they keep the window and door handles, and oil filler caps)
    If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer!!

Current ride:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L, purchased at 108,000kms. Now at 166,000km and counting)

Past rides:
    1997 Dodge Caravan Rallye (3.3L 242,000kms)
    2002 Chevrolet Cavalier (Base Model)
    1988 Ford Ranger (2.9L 2wd)
    1973 Dodge Cornet Wagon (318 cid)
    1965 Rambler Classic 550 4 dr (232 cid)
    1966 Rambler Classic 55 Wagon (232 cid)

+ Reply to Thread