The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Rear wiper/washer quit working

11K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  johndid 
#1 ·
Anyone ever have this happen. 2001 GCV and the wiper seemed to be running a little slow before it stopped working. I imagine it might be the wiring to the rear hatch may have broken a return (ground) wire somewhere. If only one of the two stopped working it might have been the BCM, but I don't think that is the culprit. I have no blown fuses either. Would like to hear someone who had this happen with the fix hopefully. Thanks in advance for your input.

KC.

#2 ·
I guess this is the first failure of this. No response as of yet.

KC.

#3 ·
Never had the problem. What would I do? Gain access to the wiper motor and check for power at the motor. If it's there and there's no obvious binding, I'd change the motor. If it's not there you may have a wiring problem as you suspect or there's that pesky BCM. Heavy use will wear the motor brushes down. You'll see a slow sluggish wipe before it dies just as you saw.

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I do not know if that would explain the washer failing at the same time. I do not have a schematic to work from so I guess I will have to start metering all the connections back there. The buttons onthe dash seem to work, LED's come on etc.

KC.

#5 ·
Oh sure. Make it complicated. Then I really have to read and think.

Rear wiper motor is powered from the fuse in the IPM (fuse panel under the hood). The ground is provided by the BCM. The switch tells the BCM when to provide that ground.

The rear washer pump is powered by the fuse in the IPM. The ground is controled by the Front Control Module (FCM) located on the front of the IPM under the hood. It appears, though not clearly that the the switch input to control that ground goes to the BCM then from there on the PCI bus to the FCM.

What will effect both the rear washer and wiper? Shootin from the hip I'd say either the switch assembly or the PCI bus. The BCM/FCM are major players on the bus. I know you can reset the BCM by pulling the IOD fuse for 2-3 minutes. Not sure on the FCM. Disconnecting the negative battery lead for 2-3 minutes will surely reset both. Might take two three tries.

There have been reports of corrosion on both the FCM connection and internal to the IPM. Might look into that.

This is all based on a schematic at the OPLIN ARRC website.

#6 ·
Jeepers, that is good. Thanks very much, this is greatly appreciated.

KC.

#7 ·
Hello
Just was having the same problem where the rear wiper was slow and then it just quit working as well as the washer button. I read this post and was like yeah right never had a time where I pulled the negative cable on the battery and it fixed the problem. Guess what I did change the motor because it seemed like it was on its way out. So after changing the rear wiper motor I gave it a try and nothing? So last resort I pulled the negative cable on the battery for about 10 minutes put it back on and to my suprise it did reset the PCM and everything worked. Thanks so much I am a happy man !!!!!

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.