The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

front strut replacement discussion

14K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  DaveInColumbus 
#1 ·
I just had my van in the shop for 2 new tires, and oil change, and a freon charge. While it was in there the mechanic mentioned that the struts probably needed replacing, so I decided to look into doing the job myself. My neighbor said that you have to be careful when doing struts because the cheap little compressor most people buy to do the job can get you hurt if the spring comes out. He mentioned specifically the clamshell type of compressor. Anyone have experience with a decent compressor that I can rent or borrow from autozone? That is probably where I will be getting struts as they have Gabriels for $56 each. The neighbor recommended getting the quick struts so I wouldn't have to mess with the spring compressor.

#2 ·
quick struts? never heard of that one. how do you plan on getting off the old spring without killing yourself. the spring is under about 500# of compression force. I only use a wall mounted spring compressor because my life and safety is worth a lot more than saving a couple dollars... you can use the cheapy 2 part compressors... if you feel lucky and there's a lot of cheap people that have and been lucky. So if you have nothing to really live for, just have at it. or before you start, do some networking and maybe you can find someone that would be willing to swap the struts (you R&R them from the van)... I charge $10 for someone that brings them in. also maybe look at getting new bearing plates since you're that far into it.

#3 ·
I am one of those lucky bastards that used those sprong compresors when I did struts on my dads tempo with great success an it was fairly easy for me, now how experieced are you with cars , cause this is not for everybody.
I do not know about the quich struts but I hear they are prety expensive, so unless your van is saging and you was going to change the springs too or maybe you have a broken spring, I do not see a point, I know my local machine shop will put them in for a few bucks , most do, definately get the mounting plates, and sway bars end links, good luck geting the old ones off, can you say 'oxi'

#6 ·
i do not know friendif you were a machinist for 10yrs you should know all this, my machine shop gy sure knows a lot of stuff, unless you've been machining parts for carwashes and such, rather than engine blocks.
these compresors will work just fine just tighten them graduately and move carefuly while loaded, may want to loosen up the bolt before compresing, strut top bolt that is, I remember on mine I had a bit of a hard time had to hold the strut piston with a vice grip, and for some reason I ended up welding a socket to a wrench and made my own special tool, can't remember why, maybe I did not have a deep wall socket.
but honestly this is the easy part, how many miles on your van ? have you done the sway bar links recently, cause honestly it is one thing that gave me a hard time in a very long time, I sprayed the jees out of them, heated them up, got the nut to move a bit, had a vice grip on the back side, broke the bolt eventualy from too much torque, on the other side I just took my torches out, melted the bastards in under a minute.

#9 ·
i do not know friendif you were a machinist for 10yrs you should know all this, my machine shop gy sure knows a lot of stuff, unless you've been machining parts for carwashes and such, rather than engine blocks.
I never worked in an automotive machine shop. Spent the first four years in the Navy drinking beer, repairing and manufacturing parts for submarines and shipe, and drinking beer. then I spent the remainder of my machining career working on everything from nuclear power valves to fiber optics assembly stuff, and various Navy parts here and there. A little bit of everything, but we didn't work on engines at all. That said I think have enough knowledge and common sense to look at a tool like a spring compressor and decide if it worth the risk to use it. And I'm leaning towards getting someone at a shop (probably my neighbor, since he said he'd help) take the old one out and put the new one in. He's a good friend to have!

But I wanted to discuss this with people that have done the job, and learn from their experience.

#7 ·
could it be he worked a machine shop making widgits... not engine machining.

Ok i get quick deal. Never heard that term used. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have new struts, springs, bump stops and bearings. whats the price of all that stuff individually vs/ a complete unit... that's all you really need to make a proper decision

I never had a problem getting the links off.. I use flame wrench, red hot on the nut, a vise grip and the big gun..

#8 ·
I never had a problem getting the links off.. I use flame wrench, red hot on the nut, a vise grip and the big gun..
that makes sense, my van had a lot of miles and figured they would be due anyway, plus the heat will afect the riber and grease , figured , I'll just cut them off. get new ones

#13 ·
I have to presume that you have done some testing on the front of the van and the generic "bounce test" failed on at least one side. If that is the case, by all means replace the struts. If the bounce test is ok, however, you have to wonder why even bother.

This may seem a bit cynical, but I think strut replacement gets over suggested by shops that employ lower skilled (and paid) mechanics because it is a fairly easy and straight forward repair for them to do properly, yet with a very nice payoff for the shop.

#14 ·
I knew it needed new struts before I took it into the shop (the struts are very bad). And it's my neighbor's shop, so he will weed out the bs. When I had a car in there for inspection he said he would pass it but that it needed new front brake pads, like right now! And he said he would help me with them, and he did. Makes it much easier with some knowledge and the right tools!

#15 ·
I just priced out struts, strut mounts, rear shocks and ball joints for my Gen2 and for everything it was just under $250 with tax(Quick struts alone would cost $165/side). My struts are making noise and are extremely soft so guess what my project is going to be for next week. :ask_wsign. After that I'm going to get 2 front tires(just purchased 2 rear tires yesterday) and get it aligned and I should have a van that feels like new.

#17 ·
That's the first place it's going to go after all that is done. I have an STS about 1/2 mile from my house(and that is where I got the rear tires from) so I'm going to get the other tires and an alignment as well. I've replaced struts in a few cars now so it's kind of routine to head up there for an alignment after all is said and done.

#18 ·
I've been using those "cheap" spring compressors for only about 30 yrs and somewhere around 40 pairs of struts. I have never had any issues with them other than needing to be replaced now because the screws are getting worn. I even used these to install the stiffer Eibach front springs on my 97 last fall.

I usually buy all of the parts because it is always cheaper than Quick Struts. (I buy most of my parts from rockauto.com usually much less than anywhere else) Unless you have some real problems (broken sprimg, sagging or heavilly rusted) you do not need to replace the springs. I always replace the strut bearings. Very rarely are they in usable condition when you replace the struts. Older vehicles need the rubber parts and some need the entire strut turnstyls assembly due to rust.

#21 ·
Just playing with the cost difference between Quick Struts and the individual parts from RockAuto......did I leave anything off the parts list ?

Parts list

1999 CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY 3.8L 230cid V6 FI (L)Suspension : Strut AssemblyMONROE Part # 71964 {Strut; Sensa-Trac; Front w/0 in. Lift/Drop #931964}
ALL Wheel Drive; Front Wheel DriveA$55.79$0.00$111.58S

Suspension : Strut MountSPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 5201342 {Professional Grade}
Front; Contains Bearing And OEM Style Bumper And Bellow; Super KitB$54.89$0.00$109.78

Suspension : Shock Mounting KitMONROE Part # AK71 {Front; Incl. Bolts}A$9.39$0.00$18.78

Suspension : Stabilizer Bar Link NutDORMAN Part # 13585 {Product End Link Nut M12-1.75 with captured washer #6503870, 6505291AA, 6508274AA}A$4.50$0.00$4.50

Subtotal$244.64

Shipping from 2 locations: Ground (FedEx or UPS) ($41.59)3Business Day Express ($82.36)2 Business Day Express ($107.37)Next Business Day Express ($183.19)

Shipping Location A Ground (FedEx or UPS)$24.56
Shipping Location B Ground (FedEx or UPS)$17.03
Total$286.23

Quick Struts for a pair

1999 CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY 3.8L 230cid V6 FI (L)Suspension :
Strut Assembly
MONROE Part # 171964R {Quick Strut; Incl. New Sensa-Trac Strut; Coil Spring; Bearing Plate; Insulator; Boot Kit; Front Right} ALL Wheel Drive; Front Wheel Drive
$184.79$0.00$184.79

MONROE Part # 171964L {Quick Strut; Incl. New Sensa-Trac Strut; Coil Spring; Bearing Plate; Insulator; Boot Kit; Front Left}
ALL Wheel Drive; Front Wheel Drive
$184.79$0.00$184.79

Subtotal$369.58

Shipping: Ground (FedEx or UPS) ($16.73)3 Business Day Express ($35.54)2 Business Day Express ($41.77)Next Business Day Express ($61.14)$16.73
Total$386.31

So it looks like Quick struts cost your about $100 more than the parts total ?

#22 ·
With just a quick look the main difference would be the coil springs though there may be something else as well. Pretty much makes up the difference.

That said, the feedback on sensa trac for 3rd gens has not been favorable, though on my 2nd gen I like them.

Spring design between the two generations is quite different, resulting in separate part numbers for right and left for the 3rds

#23 ·
My Caravan started to make un-pleasant noise from right front, like flog, when going over the bump slowly. I happened to have a pair of KYB struts and a pair of the coil spring (Suspension spring). So, I decided to build my own quick struts. I think I need to procure following parts. Am I missing anything?

I already have:
2 – Coil Spring (Suspension spring)
2 – Strut Assembly (KYB)

I need to get:
2 - Strut Mount Bearing with Bumper & Bellow
2 - Shock Mounting Bolt Kit
2 - Stabilizer Bar Link with nuts
2 – Upper Spring Seat
2 - Lower Spring Seat

Any suggestion is appreciated.

2000MY Dodge Caravan Sport, 3.3L Flex Fuel, 4 speed auto, 158,000 miles in Michigan.

#24 ·
I need to get:
2 - Strut Mount Bearing with Bumper & Bellow
2 - Shock Mounting Bolt Kit
2 - Stabilizer Bar Link with nuts
2 – Upper Spring Seat
2 - Lower Spring Seat
You don't need the sway bar end links to make a quick strut. Those aren't part of the strut assembly and purchasing new ones won't make strut replacement faster. But if yours are bad (and whose aren't?) then you might want to replace them when you change the struts anyway.

I'm also not sure what you mean by the shock mounting bolt kit. If you mean the two strut-to-knuckle bolts (and nuts), you can reuse those when you change the strut. Purchasing new ones will not make replacing the struts any faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.