The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

bad smell coming from heating AC ducts.

43K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  andyg 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am borowing my dad's 2000 GCV Sport for the next couple of weeks. I notice that everytime i turn on the HVAC system, there's about 5 solid minutes of a moldy musty smell that eminates from the ductwork. I've tried spraying air freshener into the exterior intake while the fans are blowing at max speed. It seems to help for all of two minutes than the odor comes back.

Are there any other suggestions you may have that'll alleviate the problem? MAybe a particular air freshener or some other solution.

Thanks,

#4 ·
Spray some "LYSOL" or other anti-bacterial heavily into the intake (fan on low). You probably DO have mold or some other bacteria growing. Not at all healthy. :jpshakehe

#5 ·
Here is the Aircondition system filter, on my 2002 TC
As you can see Mine needs replacing :biggrin:

The |---| sha[ed clamp snaps off after pulling on the tabs
Then the bottom cap pulls straight down, then reach up into the hole, and you can feel the filter, If your going to replace it then just rip and grab, if not then it's best to just leave it alone.

#6 ·
I had this problem on my '97. I poured warm bleach water into the exterior ducts(by the windshield wipers) with the fan on full blast(be sure its NOT on recirculate). I did about 2gallons, slowly as to not overload the condensation drain and have it overflow inside the van. Then I did one gallon of cool plain water. The smell went away. If the a/c has leaked before and someone has added a can of freon with stop leak and it leaks the stop leak out, it will smell like dirty socks/shoes. Stop leak STINKS! and will clog the expansion valve.

#18 ·
I just tried this suggestion this evening. I noticed an immediate difference. I will wait to see how it is tomorrow morning. If the smell is nuetralized tomorrow, i'll consider this solution to be a success.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. PS BTW, this car does not appear to have the air cabin filter. I want to say that they were only installed in the models that have the electronic climate control systems. This one is manual.

:ThumbsUp:

#7 ·
The Bleach/cool water sounds ok
If.... and I mean IF, you don't have a AC system filter like pictured....
If yo poured bleach /water on that filter you will have a dirty, bleachy, muddy mess

#10 ·
If yo poured bleach /water on that filter you will have a dirty, bleachy, muddy mess
Not necessarily. You have to think that when you're driving in a heavy storm or washing your car, lots and lots of water goes into these ducts and it doesn't have that affect.

#8 ·
My first question would be, is water coming out the condensate tube? Is there water under the car when you shut it off? I would go underneath and find the outlet tube, on the firewall and give it a squeeze and see if it drips. It could have been clogged by wasps, etc. The standing water will mold. A good anti mold product is OdoBan, available at Sams Club or in a smaller bottle at some Walmarts. Fog it into the outside ducts, under the Wiper blades, while the thing is running. It will condense on any wet surfaces and disinfect everything. It will kill the aids virus. If you can get ahold of an ozone generator, like a Living Aire machine or the like, put it on the hood directing the flow down into the outside ducts by putting a blanket over the front (not back) of the machine and force it through the system, even when the car is off, it will permeate the system, but run it a little too. Then check under you right side carpet to see if it is wet, could have run inside if the outlet was plugged. You would probably want to remove the cabin air filter when you do all this and replace it if necessary.
Hope this helps.

#11 · (Edited)
Wish my 99 had one......but your 2000 does

rockauto.com

2000 CHRYSLER GRAND VOYAGER SE 3.3L 201cid V6 FLEX FI (G) : Heat & Air Conditioning : Cabin Air FilterPriceCoreTotal
ACDELCO Part # CF146
{DUST AND ODOR FILTER #19161751}
FILTER KIT,PASS COMPT AIR* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 5 business days

$23.79

#12 ·
Right now at Advance Auto Parts they are giving $2 off a cabin air filter if you buy the stuff for an oil change, I believe. There is some other maintenance purchase, but if you need it, might be a good buy.

#15 ·
After you get rid fo the mold, change your driving method...

5 minutes or so before you get to your destination, turn off the AC and leave the blower on (you could even flip over to fresh air and let the warm dry air through. This will help dry it out and hopefully not recreate the problem

#21 ·
Fogetaboutit.

#22 ·
Where are these outside vents to pour the bleach in at? The only thing in the Cowl under the wipers are two drainage hoses I assumed for water that got into the Cowl? Just redid my van with a another engine and just recharged the A/C and the smell is really nasty. I will not say what my wife says it smells like. It is really bad. Please reply and tell me where these vents are or where exactly to spray the Lysol.

#23 ·
You should have an outside grill underneath your wipers, that is the grill that is being referred to. I have to tell you, that even though some have had success with the bleach method, I am a bit cautious in recommending it. First, because if your problem is with a clogged evaporator condensation tube or some other connection problem, you could overflow the evaporator and the fluid will spill over into the floor, bleaching the carpet. Earlier in this thread I recommended OdoBan, available at Sams club and at some Walmarts. If you fog the grill, mentioned above, and allow the fan to suck in this outside air with the disinfectant, it will condense on the evaporator and drip into the pan and kill, without the threat of carpet distruction, any microbes. You can buy a gallon for about 9 dollars and it make more than 50 gallons of disinfectant. It does the same as bleach, but does not risk bleaching anything. But prior to this, make sure that your condensate tube is clear and unrestricted. ie: is there water under your car when you use the AC, or is it dribbling into the floorboard. I have taken apart AC units that had 3" of orange mold on top of the water in the pan, similar things could happen to car AC units. And you don't want any part of that. You did not mention your model and year, but if there is a cabin air filter, check it to see if it is toxic (this post). Look back in this thread to see other workable suggestions, that I have in fact used, to disinfect bad smelling cars.

#25 ·
Thanks for the replys. It is a 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE. Where is it that I spray the Lysol? Do I just spray on the front of the radiator or into the vents inside the van? Sorry if I am way off on the location. Just trying to find a solution. Is this stuff you mentioned located in the cleaning supply section at say WalMart?

#28 ·
No, I believe thats all they are for. But this is where the a/c pulls in air(i think the actual intake of the hvac is on the passenger side of the cowl) I believe there is another drain for the evaporator.

#29 ·
Thank you so much for your help. I will check it out on Saturday. Now I see where it looks like the belt is about to come off of the tensioner pulley. It is riding on the edge of the power steering pulley and it has caused a slice in the belt. But I have done everything I can think of and I can not find anything out of align. I guess it is time for the pulley with the raised edges so the belt will not come off.

#30 ·
Bad smell

I had a bad smell like a wet dog smell when I would turn on my heater. I never noticed it because I bought the van in July and when the cooler weather came so did the smell. I tried everything mentioned and could not get rid of it. I even striped out the seats and shampooed the carpet. I was frustrated and then went into fix it or break it mode. I mixed a very strong solution of PineSol and hot water and poured it on the carpet between the front seats and under the dash. I scrubbed it with a brush and then sucked it up with my wet vac. That did the trick, it seemed like the last owner had a leaky garbage bag that sat between the seats on the way to getting rid of it. I don't know why but I could only smell it when the heater was on. The idea came to me after placing a bag of my own garbage between the seats to dispose of, by the way the garbage was in a small plastic grocery bag.
I hope this helps some.

#31 ·
My van smelled the same but it was just that heavy felt pad underneath the carpet corrupting. For the person who asked, not every WalMart has Odoban, but Sams Club always has it, the smell is like Eucalyptus, like a dentists office. It is a disinfectant, primarily and will kill most any kind of bacteria and virus without risk of bleaching. Lysol tells you on the package that to kill the most virulent strains it has to be wetted with lysol for a certain period of time, not just sprayed over. So you can try whatever you can get, but check to see if your condensate tube is draining first or if it is draining back into the floorboard. If not, you will not fix the problem for long.

#33 ·
You know, after giving it a lot of thought, I don't think the volume of cleaner, disinfectant is the most important thing. Since the liquid should not go directly into the exaporator anyway, it is a fog or spray that will be most effective getting into the evaporator coil and drain pan most likely. If the ac is on, and cold, any liquid in the air will condense on it (along with whatever disinfectant you choose) and run into the pan and out. Gallons poured in will work, but likely from the fumes evaporating and being sucked in the same way. That is my best guess.

#34 ·
Gallons poured in was my whole theory, fast enough to get it to go into the evap but slow enough to keep from overflow. :headbange

#37 ·
Anyone still read this thread? I just googled this and found this post, needing help. I sprayed the vents (by wipers) with lysol *but* the hose that connects these vents to whatever its connected to inside under the hood is broke off about 2 inches from these wiper vents (so its actually pulling air from around the engine! probably not good on the AC to have to cool that air off, anyway what is that hose called? I want to get it replaced but no clue as to what to ask for ? lol

I later sprayed lysol in the broken end to actually get to the inside vents so that's simple enough but want to replace this hose now. Any help is appreciated :)

#38 ·
Just a quick thanks for the input. I have a 1999 Grand Voyager SE and had a horrible aroma somewhat akin to vomit being emitted from the vent system whether A/C or heat. I used Odoban as described, though not necessarily applied as described. What I found was that water was settling in the intake for the fan. Initially, I found the pad under the carpet on the passenger front was wet. I could not find a source for the water. I dismantled way too much stuff, but did manage to find the drains for the front and rear A/C units. The front drain for the A/C coil in the duct work is located behind the engine, with a 90 degree rubber elbow that directs flow downward. Mine was not clogged. What I ultimately found was a drain that I had to access through the fan housing. I had to remove the cover plate for the fan. I first took the glove box out for better visibility and then the fan cover plate. I had water dripping from the fan by this time. I then reached up inside the housing toward the front of the car and found water sitting in a hollow area. I found a small drain in the bottom of the hollow with my fingers and used a tie wrap to clean it out. When I finished pushing the tie wrap in and pulling it out, a flood of water drained out.
Hope this helps others find their solution, and again many thanks for all the previous posts. Especially for the Odoban suggestion. That stuff is the best!!!

Also forgot to mention that there is a keystone shaped rubber cover/plug in the ductwork that is visible with the glovebox removed, which when removed gives pretty good access to the A/C coil, so I was able to directly spray Odoban on the coil once all was done. It may not have needed it, but I figured better safe than sorry.

Regards,

Alifea

#40 ·
I then reached up inside the housing toward the front of the car and found water sitting in a hollow area. I found a small drain in the bottom of the hollow with my fingers and used a tie wrap to clean it out. When I finished pushing the tie wrap in and pulling it out, a flood of water drained out.
Where did you see the water drain out? Is there a second drain tube coming out through the firewall, or does the extra passage actually channel water from the recirculation door housing to the bottom of the evaporator box?

#39 ·
Chlorine is a neurotoxin. Might as well breathe the mold.

#42 ·
Originally posted by Alvin
Where did you see the water drain out? Is there a second drain tube coming out through the firewall, or does the extra passage actually channel water from the recirculation door housing to the bottom of the evaporator box?
I didn't see a drain location. As I recall, it appeared to come out from behind the metal heat deflector plate assembly that is between the engine/transmission/exhaust and the firewall. Thus, between the heat deflector and the firewall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.