The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Homelink not working

21K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Tom_in_AZ 
#1 ·
The Homelink (integrated garage door opener) on our 09 T&C does not seem to work.

Those things are so complicated I would have blamed myself for not programming it right, except that I had successfully programmed our 06 T&C which also had the homelink.

Anyone with similar problems?

#2 ·
Couple of questions for you:

1. Does your "Homelink" have 3 indicator lights or 1? The reason I ask is that a clone product call Car To You has found its way into some vehicles. OEM's have taken a cost save (namely GM) and purchased that product instead. Need to know this because the Car To You product has been really buggy.

2. Define "does not work".... Low range or does not open the door? What is the LED doing when you push the button? (flashing, continuous on, not turning on at all...) That will tell me a lot about what the Homelink is doing/thinking.

3. Do you have a "Rolling Code" Garage door opener or is it a DIP switch model? When you programed it on your last vehicle did you have to climb a ladder to push a button on the opener?

4. Does you remote that came with the opener still work to open the door?

Other observations: You need to hold the remote no more that 6" from the homelink module when programing.

Have you visited:
http://www.homelink.com/home/home.taf

Turn off your speakers first because they have music.

#3 ·
I'm thinking it is the Rolling code issue. Mine couldn't work until I actually had to go to my main unit IN THE GARAGE and press a certain button (I cannot recall at this time). Then it worked.

Yes, I agree programming these Homelinks are overly complicated, but they do work.

#4 ·
Yes, I agree programming these Homelinks are overly complicated, but they do work.
The complication is for your own protection. The rolling code helps to avoid people listening in on your signal and cloning your opener code. The extra step of having to perform a handshaking operation between the opener and the remote in the car is critical for that. Other than that, it's very simple.

#7 ·
I recently did mine and it seemed it involved a slightly different routine than our '06 did (unless I didn't remember right :ask_wsign).

I first got my homelink in the van to link with the remote (6" away) and then had to push the button on the opener itself. At that point I re-transmitted from the factory remote, and then from the van. When I skipped re-doing the remote, the garage opener did not respond to the van.

#8 ·
Agreed. I had to train the Homelink to memorize the remote, then train the garage door opener to recognize the Homelink. It should be fairly easy to tell if the Homelink is learning the remote code by the way the lights flash on the Homelink. If the Homlink can't learn the remote code, it will never work with the garage door opener.

Phil

#9 ·
Ahah!

I did not try linking it to the handheld remote (I did not have to do that with the 06 T&C). I just tried the ladder and pressing the learn button on the opener.

I will try it with the remote and let you know.

By the way, that Homelink site is great -- it lets you shrink 4 pages of directions into a couple of paragraphs! http://www.homelink.com/home/home.taf

Thanks all!

#10 ·
Slightly Stale but I just had a horrible experience programming my '09 T&C. Turns out the Genie remote has dual freq. capability and the position I had it in would not program- period. I went through both manuals and the Homelink website and all over the net trying to find a clue what I was doing wrong. I also tried everything under the sun.

I was not doing anything wrong. I moved the switches on the two remotes and cleared all remotes for a third time. I went through the procedure once more with the zest of someone about to hang the factory remote over the homelink plate. But it worked like a charm!

Somehow that second frequency would not work once it was learned by the Chrysler.

Good luck everyone.

#11 ·
UGH! I am having issues working with this on my 2008 van & key-fob Genie remote. It seems the van programs fine, but then it also looks like it is not sending the proper signals. My Genie remote works every time no problem. I don't recall having issues like this on my 2005. Maybe this is again a new issue with the dual freq with the newer Homelink model.

The Genie is a rolling code unit for sure, I am using an aftermarket rolling code brain that I installed. It also works perfect with my 2002 Chrysler 300m with the Homelink installed. Guess I need to call homelink.

In trying to program I followed all version of the directions, and even consulted some Homelink videos on YouTube. Still Nada.
Tom

#13 ·
What it boils down to is that I am going to need to call HomeLink at this point because everything on their site was tried. Maybe there is something that I am missing such as my keyfob not being compatible.

I'll update when it is done or that I have some sort of answer.
Tom

#14 ·
The whole problem was in the remote.... Apparently while the remote is compatible with the Homelink system, it has its quirks. The remote has 3 buttons, one is large and round, then a small round one, and a small oval one. The issues involves the large main button, it is a known issues (to Homelink) that this button does not send out the signal very well for programing. This is an issue that was not noted in their paper work or online FAQs. They did state that they are working on updating it to reflect this info.

The Homelink programed nice and easy with the small oval button to my second (smaller) garage door.
Here is the method used:
step 1: Unplug the garage door opener
step 2: Clear the memory on the Homelink (since nothing else is programed)
step 3: Press and hold the 3rd button on the Homelink (right button)
step 4: Press and hold the small oval button on the Genie remote for 3-4 seconds, release and then do it again for a total of 3 tries.
Step 5: If you hear the relay on the Genie's brain unit clicking to the responce from the Homelink then plug the motor back in.
Step 6: you are finished, test your setup.

Since the large problem was the problem, we then used the the small round button to program the code to the Homelink for the main garage door.
Again, here is the method used, and is slightly different than above:
step 1: Press and hold button 1 on the Homelink (left button)
step 2: Press and hold the small round button on the keyfob
step 3: Hold both buttons until the Homelink light flashes fast (signalling it took the programing), then release
step 4: Press the training button on the Genie Brain
step 5: Press button one on the homelink for 5 seconds, release and repeat 3 times (after the third time the garage door opened)

Now that it all works perfectly, and I can put my keyfob opener back on the the keys for my 500cc Scooter. I hope that this info helps someone out in the future.
Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.