The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2000 T&C 3.3 Strunt tower rusting

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  manicminivan 
#1 ·
On my T&C with 92,000 miles The left strut tower is rusting on top the right tower is fine. It looks like it going to a problem.Is this a common problem and if so.Is there a repair kit out there to fix it and is it a DIY project.I would appreciate any info available

#5 ·
#6 ·
Has anyone used the 2 part kit that's avaialble from Chrysler? This is more than just the caps and dependiing on the side is $250-$300 at discount. I'm talking about #2 in the photo. My 2000 AWD van is BAD on the drivers side but it only has 83,000 miles on it and otherwise great....except for the stupid rear emergency brakes.

#7 ·
I think those are the original structure of the unibody you have there.Those are crash parts where the body shop separates all the spot welds to repair a majorly crashed van.You could probably do the same thing to get rid of rust,but it would be a lot of work,tricky to get everything lined back up,and you need to weld it for real,no epoxies there.

#8 ·
my '99 caravan has rusted towers right and left- what we have seen done several times (hails from the frozen salted tundra of MA) is cut a set of towers out of a scrap vehicle then after some trimming cleaning etc... slip the "good" ones inside the existing towers. We actually purchased a welder last week to do this with my van. it raises the front end just a tad but at 380k miles just cant let the van see a scrap yard. lol

but now having read the link from georgec- thinking i might just look into that......

#9 ·
Now there's the answer for the guy who wanted to jack up their van in front...cut out the existing strut tower and install a new/used one in a lower position.That will get er up a couple inches.Seriously,they wouldnt want to do that.No way to ensure that it was getting put in correctly as for postioning of the centerline of the strut,the camber angle,caster angle.Plus raising the front would make the control arms and sway bar droop too far downward making it top-out far easier.

#10 ·
I would think depending how bad it looks that if you are just starting to see blistering but not major holes you could really power wash out contamination then use something that inhibits rust to slow down the migration of rust. My neighbor has a gen3 with a lot of miles and it has no rust what so ever but he said he sprays the towers with WD-40 every time he does and oil change. Don't know if that is a legit solution, but it's working well for him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.