How to replace the power steering reservoir?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to replace the power steering reservoir?

Thanks

Exclamation How to replace the power steering reservoir?

Hi! I am new here and wanted to know if anyone could direct me to the place where I can find complete instructions and a list of needed tools to replace the power steering reservoir on my 2005 Chrysler Town and Country?

Took it to the dealership yesterday because of the whining noise, a problem that they should have caught back in December when we took it in to have the power steering flushed, but someone obviously didn't do their job right. So now the dealership wanted to charge us $200 to fix. Something that would have only cost us maybe an additional $40 back in December.

Needless to say went and picked-up the part this morning and my dad and husband are going to fix it this weekend.

Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 941 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mom2twinsplus1 View Post
    Hi! I am new here and wanted to know if anyone could direct me to the place where I can find complete instructions and a list of needed tools to replace the power steering reservoir on my 2005 Chrysler Town and Country?

Took it to the dealership yesterday because of the whining noise, a problem that they should have caught back in December when we took it in to have the power steering flushed, but someone obviously didn't do their job right. So now the dealership wanted to charge us $200 to fix. Something that would have only cost us maybe an additional $40 back in December.

Needless to say went and picked-up the part this morning and my dad and husband are going to fix it this weekend.

Thanks!!
    How about this Thread and the one referenced in it? Should work.
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=11444
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 115,600 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 314,240 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 246,430 kms

Thanks

Indeed it is not too hard to do. The hidden bolt mentioned in the thread saved me much aggravation 'cause I wouldn't have known about it. Have some type of catch rag or cup under the hoses for when you get them off. I didn't bother buying a new reservoir, just cleaned it out. It quit whinning as expected.

Thanks

Just a side-note: I noticed on a 2009 T&C Touring w/3.8 that the power steering reservoir is shaped differently, and relocated (just above the alternator). What I don't know is if it has been redesigned to eliminate the steering noise issue(s), or if it is just shaped differently, and relocated. Not sure if this change applies to the 2008 models. Maybe steering noise will now become a thing of the past with Chrysler/Dodge.

Any thoughts/inside info on this?
    2011 Chrysler T&C Limited 3.6L V6
    2004 Honda CRV LX 2.4L I4
    2000 Honda Civic VP 1.6L I4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PTXer View Post
    Indeed it is not too hard to do. The hidden bolt mentioned in the thread saved me much aggravation 'cause I wouldn't have known about it. Have some type of catch rag or cup under the hoses for when you get them off. I didn't bother buying a new reservoir, just cleaned it out. It quit whinning as expected.
    Hey PTXer, you are one of the Guys that cleaned yours out per this Post:
    I cleaned mine with a can and a half of brake and parts cleaner last winter. Squirting it in through the return (so goes the opposite way to dislodge all the gunk on the screen) and dumping it out the top. Dried it out with compressed air and reassembled and refilled. Noise gone. Be sure you recheck the fluid level a few times as the bubbles get worked out of the system. I didn't start up to drain as much fluid as I could out of the pump, but sounds like a good idea (although potentially messy).
    The fluid apparently comes in the bottom, the top line is the return line to the power steering system, so putting some solvent in the reservoir, swishing it around, and back washing sounds like an easy job. How long since you did yours?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
    How long since you did yours?
    Its been a year since I did mine. During the really cold week here in Ohio last month it started to lightly whine again. Topped it off with some fluid and its OK now. Since the resivoir isn't that expensive, it may not be worth the work cleaning it out to some people, but its definately doable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PTXer View Post
    Its been a year since I did mine. During the really cold week here in Ohio last month it started to lightly whine again. Topped it off with some fluid and its OK now. Since the resivoir isn't that expensive, it may not be worth the work cleaning it out to some people, but its definately doable.
    So cleaning it out is doable and provides a considerable period of relief from the famous power steering squealing. Your experience is proof of that.

When the reservoir filter gets dirty, air or aerated fluid, gets back to power steering system, through the return line, hence the noise, I'm thinking. Filling it up, to near the the top, keeps the air volume down in the reservoir, hence less noise.

Replacement, and cleaning up the fluid (empty reservoir, refill, run a half dozen times or flushing) seems to be a longer lasting solution.

Thanks for the response.
    Last edited by Jeepman; 02-16-2009 at 05:59 AM.

Thanks

Thumbs up Power Steering Whine

A big thanks goes out to all of you. My 2007 T & C had such a loud whine coming from the steering pump that people were looking at us as we drove by. I read this forum, bought a new reservior on Ebay for $32, installed it (found the hidden bolt - actually a nut that you have to loosen from the backside), and now it runs as quiet as a mouse.

+ Reply to Thread