2009 Town & Country Fuel Economy

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 Town & Country Fuel Economy

Thanks

2009 Town & Country Fuel Economy

I have a brand new 2009 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8 engine I picked up i believe last sunday my question is i only have 180 miles on the van and my gas light came on already. I filled up the tank and it took 17 gallons of gas so i am doing the numbers and it seems like horrible fuel economy. I realize it is pretty much mostly street driving but 10 miles a gallon?? i am hoping i didn't buy the wrong vehicle here. Could it be just because the engine is new and has to break in? Should i bring it into the dealer and have them look it over?
    What are you guys seeing fuel wise in your 3.8's? ANy thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rschrei518 View Post
    I have a brand new 2009 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8 engine I picked up i believe last sunday my question is i only have 180 miles on the van and my gas light came on already. I filled up the tank and it took 17 gallons of gas so i am doing the numbers and it seems like horrible fuel economy. I realize it is pretty much mostly street driving but 10 miles a gallon?? i am hoping i didn't buy the wrong vehicle here. Could it be just because the engine is new and has to break in? Should i bring it into the dealer and have them look it over?
    This van is a terrible gas pig, get used to it. Im getting around 15mpg combined Hwy City driving.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rschrei518 View Post
    My guess is that you didn't get a completely full tank of gas from the dealer. I'd wait until you at least start from a tank that you filled up yourself before computing your fuel economy. I have the 4.0L and I'm averaging 17-18 combined but mostly around town. There is no way you will be getting 10 MPG. Also, I would imagine that mileage will improve after the engine breaks in a little. Don't worry yet.
    2011 T & C Limited - White Gold/ - Dark Frost Beige/Medium Frost Beige
    Every option except Towing Package
    > 7,000 miles (had 1 on the odometer at delivery)

Thanks

It'll get better.

Check your tire pressure. Even a few pounds off can make a difference.
    2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L), Light Sandstone Metallic, 125K miles
    2005 Volvo XC70, 160K miles

Previous van: 2002 Chrysler T&C, eX (3.8L)

Thanks

Talking

Welcome to the Forum

Update your Location and Signature with full info on your vehicle. Get yourself a Haynes manual from your local auto store, if they have that year out, yet. It will help you with regular maintenance, that you're responsible for, as well as more major stuff, after the warranty expires.

These engines, need about 1000 - 5000 miles on them to break them in and you will see an increase of mpg. By all means, start out with a full tank of gas, first. Monitor over a few fill-ups, not just your first tank / partial.

Take advantage of ANY specials your dealer may have (free oil changes, free filter, free annual interior cleaning, etc).

Definitely make sure your tire pressure is up to the tire mfr's recommendation. The dealer will recommend a pressure that will make your vehicle ride very smoothly, however, the tire mfr's spec (on the sidewall of the tire) will make sure you get max mpg, and max tire mileage, too. Yes, they are different.
    Last edited by AzTraveller; 02-10-2009 at 08:09 AM.
    1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 3.3L LWB-- 207,000 miles and counting ......
    333,134.21 kilometers, for you metric buffs ......
    For Sale - Make Offer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzTraveller View Post
    Definitely make sure your tire pressure is up to the tire mfr's recommendation. The dealer will recommend a pressure that will make your vehicle ride very smoothly, however, the tire mfr's spec (on the sidewall of the tire) will make sure you get max mpg, and max tire mileage, too. Yes, they are different.
    The PSI spec on the sidewall of the tire is NOT the tire manufacturer's recommended pressure for the tire. That's the maximum allowable inflation of the tire if you are at full tire load. As installed on a Chrysler minivan, the tire won't be at full load, and the tire is really over-inflated for the application. You MAY see a fuel mileage increase, but you also may not. There will be a ride penalty, and at the maximum inflation pressure, you may get an incorrect wear pattern. Call any tire manufacturer on the telephone and ask what they recommend for their tire and they will tell you that they don't recommend a tire pressure, and you should consult your owner's manual and/or the placard on the door jamb.

The Chrysler dealer also does not recommend a tire pressure. All that is specified at the factory by Chrysler engineers.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    The PSI spec on the sidewall of the tire is NOT the tire manufacturer's recommended pressure for the tire. That's the maximum allowable inflation of the tire if you are at full tire load. As installed on a Chrysler minivan, the tire won't be at full load, and the tire is really over-inflated for the application. You MAY see a fuel mileage increase, but you also may not. There will be a ride penalty, and at the maximum inflation pressure, you may get an incorrect wear pattern. Call any tire manufacturer on the telephone and ask what they recommend for their tire and they will tell you that they don't recommend a tire pressure, and you should consult your owner's manual and/or the placard on the door jamb.

The Chrysler dealer also does not recommend a tire pressure. All that is specified at the factory by Chrysler engineers.
    Jason, the side of my tires say something to the effect of "Max Cold Tire Pressure not to exceed 35PSI". I have done my best over the past 20 years with this van (35, if you include other vehicles) to keep them at that cold rating and have yet to have a tire wear out due to "over-inflation" (middle worn, with tread still on edges), instead, they have been evenly worn across the entire tread beyond the wear bars, to a point I feel they need to be replaced. The rear tires presently have nearly 90,000miles on them.

YMMV
    For Sale - Make Offer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzTraveller View Post
    Jason, the side of my tires say something to the effect of "Max Cold Tire Pressure not to exceed 35PSI". I have done my best over the past 20 years with this van (35, if you include other vehicles) to keep them at that cold rating and have yet to have a tire wear out due to "over-inflation" (middle worn, with tread still on edges), instead, they have been evenly worn across the entire tread beyond the wear bars, to a point I feel they need to be replaced. The rear tires presently have nearly 90,000miles on them.

YMMV
    I've always gone 2-3 psi over the door sticker figuring the the mfr was conservative toward a softer ride. However the tires on my latest van are listed at max-44 psi and I'm not going near that high.

Sticker on the 2008 says 36 psi. 38 psi is working fine.
    Pat
    08 T&C Touring

Previous vans:
    00 T&C 3.8
    95 GV 3.3
    89 Caravan 3.0

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I've always gone 2-3 psi over the door sticker figuring the the mfr was conservative toward a softer ride. However the tires on my latest van are listed at max-44 psi and I'm not going near that high.

Sticker on the 2008 says 36 psi. 38 psi is working fine.
    My Hyundai recommends 28 - 32. The Hancook tires say 44PSI (and so does their website). I was riding on the sidewall tread at 28PSI. I raised them to 40PSI, I now ride squarely on the tread, right to the edge, but not down it. I'm not rounding off the edges, anymore. I also get 34MPG, instead of 28MPG. The EPA rating is 28 - 32
    Funny how that works.
    For Sale - Make Offer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

GUYS! Listen to what Jason is saying. There is a big difference in "recommended" tire pressure and "max" tire pressure. Anything over max is dangerous, so why would you initially inflate your tires to anyway near that.

I live in Oklahoma where temperatures often exceed 100 degrees (f). If I inflate to 40 psi, and then hit the interstate on a 500 mile trip, it is very likely that I will at some point exceed the max (44 on my tires) - due to the tires heating up. I don't think going a pound or two over "recommended" is a problem. But running your tires at max is dangerous.

I run my tires at the recommended (Chrysler) rate of 36psi. Safe way to go.
    2011 Chrysler T&C Limited 3.6L V6
    2004 Honda CRV LX 2.4L I4
    2000 Honda Civic VP 1.6L I4

+ Reply to Thread