Can I tow a 5x8 Cargo trailer?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Can I tow a 5x8 Cargo trailer?

Thanks

Oh ****. All because of that?

How did this happen?

Can you recommend one?

Where can I get this "Tow safe insurance" ?
    I have a 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager 3.3. It is old, but payed and it runs great. I love my MiniVan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I'm glad that Stanbus (on the 3rd page of posts) finally gave us some reference to the owners manual.

Yes, make sure you stay within the frontal area limit of 32 sq-ft. That uhaul link has the 5x8 trailer (floor dimensions) at 208 cubic feet. Divide that by the length (8 ft) gives you 26 sq-ft of frontal area, so you're good there.

Beyond that, the van (without the tow package) carries a 2000 lbs max tow limit. To the guy making fun of us Yanks about our class ratings, we increase numerically because you can always increase weight. If you make Class 1 = 10,000 lbs, what do you do when you want a 15,000 lb class. Nobody wants to shuffle the ratings to mean somethings new. So, class 1 is 2000, class 2 is 3500, class 3 is 5000, etc.

For this van, you have a class 3 hitch, which is rated for 5000 lbs with or without a weight distributing hitch. But the vehicle itself is only set up for 2000 lbs weight carrying. So, find out the empty weight of that trailer, subtract that weight from 2000 lbs, and that's how much weight you can put in the trailer and tow it safely.

If you put an aux cooler on it, IN MY OPINION, you can tow just fine up to the 3800 lbs tow limit. Problem is, you would need a WDH kit and functional trailer brakes (per the van's owner's manual) to go beyond 2000 lbs.

My recommendation (unless you will do much more towing in the future) is to find a smaller trailer (like a 4x8) that will weight less empty, and then load it up to 2000 lbs and be happy. That 5x8 is probably pretty heavy, and won't give you much capacity for actual stuff, given your 2000 lbs limit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
    So, find out the empty weight of that trailer, subtract that weight from 2000 lbs, and that's how much weight you can put in the trailer and tow it safely.

The empty weight of the trailer is 900 lbs.
    So that gives me a room for 1100 lbs what I can put in the trailer?

Man, I only got app 500 lbs.

So that means I am on a very safe side even with the regular tranny cooler?
    I have a 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager 3.3. It is old, but payed and it runs great. I love my MiniVan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
    To the guy making fun of us Yanks about our class ratings, we increase numerically because you can always increase weight. If you make Class 1 = 10,000 lbs, what do you do when you want a 15,000 lb class. Nobody wants to shuffle the ratings to mean somethings new. So, class 1 is 2000, class 2 is 3500, class 3 is 5000, etc.
    Not making fun of you guys Brakeman, but the forum doesn't have a smilie for 'tongue in cheek'.
    Your system makes more sense than our method of downgrading class 1 to class 2 if something better comes along, though I suspect it's only to give the lawmakers and pen-pushers (otherwise known as 'Members of Parliament') something to do.
    '97 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LE (UK Model) , 167,000 miles. Dual Fuel Petrol/LPG. Tow Pack.
    Now sold. New owner is using as a project ! Replaced by a 2000 Nissan Primera 2.0L Sport+

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MAD King View Post
    Oh ****. All because of that?

How did this happen?

Can you recommend one?

Where can I get this "Tow safe insurance" ?
    The tow safe insurance is through u-hauls crooked self underwriting insurance company and is offered at the time of rental it was $30 best spent since most auto insurance companies will not cover the internal items of the trailer/vehicle if they cover the trailer at all.

The hitch was a Master lock brand and was a class 4 rated hitch far above and beyond what was being towed. I have Sled pulled 45,000 pounds with hitches like this and never seen one fail in the manner this one did, it was as though I just ripped it apart. The failure report turned out what I had suspected when I first looked at it which was improper cooling of the steel; the inside looked like fine swiss cheese. As for brands I will NEVER buy anything from China ever again that has the potential for my safety.

The accident was horrible and should never had happened we were doing roughly 50mph on I-5 through the Rosenberg area of Oregon mile marker 103 to be exact. The hitch went BANG and the nose shot over (found out U-Haul had wayyyyy to long of chains and bound them as to not drag turned the chains into a bungee cord) and went off the side of the road it then grabbed the shoulder and was launched over the van pulling the rear around and the van into a barrel role. The passenger side of the van came down on the uneven edge of the highway which is what collapsed the passenger roof area. This was one of those cases that I was glad not to be buckled up in the passenger seat I was asleep on the floor in the back. I shattered my shoulder and many bruises but it would have been much worse if not fatal had I been where I would have normally been or had a passenger there.

I would like to note though that if you notice I bought another one without hesitation due to how well the van took this accident. Neither side glass broke and both sliders remained operational after the accident, even with the stressed and contortion of the rear door it did not break and was operable. The accident response system worked as advertised the flashers turned on, doors unlocked and interior lights came on which I think helped avoid being struck by following traffic and aided assistance. I was told by the paramedic that most accidents they have had on that stretch of road were fatal and was amazed that the most injury was my shoulder.

Here are a few more pictures of the accident I had a thread about it as well.

Last edited by IssaquahWA1979; 02-02-2009 at 07:33 PM.

2011 T&C Limited - Deep Cherry Pearl, Black Napa Leather, Sunroof, PWR 3rd Row,
    2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 4x4 Quad Cab - Laramie - Fully Loaded with options. Edge EZ, Lots of LED Lighting.

Thanks

Unbelievable!!!

Have never seen something like that.

I bought 30 min ago a trailer hitch mount & ball from Valley. Made in CA, USA. And I am glad I chosed the Hidden Hitch. I also changed the transmission fluid and filter 30 min ago. Cross my fingers that my van will make the 2100 miles.

I looked also on the 5x8 trailer at U-Haul. It says on the side Max. Speed 55 mph.

Thanks

One more thing. How can I protect the trailer from steeling from my Van?

I saw on the trailer from U-Haul only a coupler like this:

We have to stay at motels for a few days over night and do not want that the trailer is going to be stolen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IssaquahWA1979 View Post
    The hitch was a Master lock brand and was a class 4 rated hitch far above and beyond what was being towed. I have Sled pulled 45,000 pounds with hitches like this and never seen one fail in the manner this one did, it was as though I just ripped it apart. The failure report turned out what I had suspected when I first looked at it which was improper cooling of the steel; the inside looked like fine swiss cheese. As for brands I will NEVER buy anything from China ever again that has the potential for my safety
    Good to hear that you are doing fine.

I 100% agree and stay far away from MADE IN CHINA if at all possible. They simply do not have standards. If they say they meet them, they might and might not. They do not police their standards. Remember the recalled children's toys because of lead based paint? It was not legal when it was imported but they simply don't care.

I could tell you story after story about tooling purchased in China for less money that was supposedly made from "tool steel" only to find out that they have their own standard for D2 tool steel and it simply is not the same.
    2010 Honda Oddy LX - 9k miles - Land Barge
    2008 Honda Fit Sport - 31k miles - What a riot!
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser - 292k miles - Tank
    Gone - 2001 DGC Sport 3.3L 169K

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MAD King View Post
    One more thing. How can I protect the trailer from steeling from my Van?

I saw on the trailer from U-Haul only a coupler like this:

We have to stay at motels for a few days over night and do not want that the trailer is going to be stolen.
    1. Park in a well lit area.

2. back the trailer up to the curb at the hotel, or over the curb and on the grass if possible in a corner spot.

3. Use a heavy chain and bolt cutter resistant pad lock and lock the A to the van receiver hitch or axle.

(do not forget to unlock and remove the chain before you leave in the morning.)
    2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager
    3.3L6 Flex, 4spd auto. Color Code: PMT QMT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ret_marine2003 View Post
    1. Park in a well lit area.

2. back the trailer up to the curb at the hotel, or over the curb and on the grass if possible in a corner spot.

3. Use a heavy chain and bolt cutter resistant pad lock and lock the A to the van receiver hitch or axle.

(do not forget to unlock and remove the chain before you leave in the morning.)

Good advice.

+ Reply to Thread