The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Leaking under my A604 automatic transmission shift solenoid pack

34K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  BillGrissom 
#1 ·
It appears that my A604 automatic transmission shift solenoid pack is leaking at the gasket with the transmission. :(

Trans fluid seems to pool behind the
solenoid pack in a recess in the trans case and then leaks down onto the area of the trans pan and the front motor mount bracket......then to the floor.

I have degreased and pressure washed the area and the only place I can see trans fluid is
behind the solenoid pack in a recess in the trans case. There does not seem to be any fluid coming out of the solenoid pack around it's front cover.

Since the trans shifts fine and was replaced by Chrysler in 07 I am considering just pulling the
solenoid packand replacing just the gasket.

Thoughts ?

Are is circled in green on the pic

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I stopped by a Dealership today while returning from skiing. They couldn't help regarding the which and size for the return line. I may have time tomorrow to ask another more knowledgeable Parts Guy, I know, at a Dealership in the City.

Leaking fluid from your transmission:
Possibilities:
- pan sealent
- coolant lines at the transmission
- solenoid pack to base gasket
- the solenoid pack itself (plastic covered metal tends to corode). Transmission shops like to replace these at over $300 installed (rip off, I'm thinking.
- the solenoid pack base where it goes into the transmission (new to me per below)

I have asked questions on here about the solenoid pack previously saying I was coming across 4 bolts rather than 3, and what was the torque for the bolts. I did get some info on the torque, but it varies from what a local Dealership says, so I'm trying to tie this one down as best I can. Your problem motivates me to do that. Thanks.

Problem:
I have a leak issue which I haven't resolved yet, still mulling over the problem per above. This is strictly a Winter time leak, goes away when the temperature go above freezing. Although it may look like a big spot in the snow, the amount that leaks out is very, very small. I may have to add a liter during the Winter. This problem is going into its third Winter.

While at the Dealership today, I asked the Lady there if I could look at a solenoid pack. She obliged and it was an eye opener. There were three vertical bolt holes for the solenoid pack to be bolted down, with a gasket, to a receiving base. The four bolts I was finding previously were the four horizontal bolts that hold the base to the transmission case. I saw them from underneath and tightened them up to 12 ft. lbs. previously, as they were loose. The top bolts were basically hidden from view, so I didn't know they existed. Where the base goes into the transmission, I believe there are a couple of inserts (pipes) with "o" rings on them (correct me if I'm wrong guys). The reason I believe this is that a sober Mechanic told me at a Christmas party this past Christmas, that there were rubber inserts associated with the solenoid pack that were common sources of cold weather leaks (contraction due to temperature).

I purchased a solenoid pack gasket earlier this month from the Dealership and got a confusing picture of the solenoid pak, transmission, etc from their computer. After seeing the solenoid pack, it all makes sense.

A work in progress:
- does the base have a gasket and are there "O" rings associated with it going into the transmission case.
- what are the torque specs for the solenoid pack bolts and the base bolts (since they have the same size heads as the transmission pan bolts, I assume 165 inch lbs. should be OK.) Will verify.
- check the torque on the vertical bolts, may replace the solenoid pack gasket, but don't think that's the problem.
- confirm that a "quick learn" is not required for a new gasket or a new solenoid.
- the coolant lines aren't leaking. I stuffed some paper towelling under them and no red fluid present.

#3 ·
Jeepman, thanks again for all the input and help :ThumbsUp:

The solenoid pack gasket to base was only $4.80 so I bought one and took my solenoid pack off.....pretty easy from the top.

I did not see any flaws in the old gasket, so I cleaned everything up and put it back together with the new gasket.
BTW, dealer said the three solenoid pack bolte were 106 inch pounds so that is what I used.

I didn't see the base to trans bolts you mention......but I wasn't looking for them. Guess that could be leaking as well :eekkkk:

I cut the old ends off my two fluid lines and added new clamps.....also snugged all the other clamps I found. Fluid looked good and red.

BTW, while I had it all apart I saw a yellow sticker on the bellhousing that said something like "This remanufactured transmission is fitted with an inline transmission filter"
..........but of course there is no inline transmission filter present :angrya:
guess someone left it off. :angry1:

I have a magnfine inline on order......hope I can figure out which side is the return by the time it arrives. :help_wsig

So a few days should tell if this new gasket does the trick :eek:

But I doubt it based on the condition of the old one.:confused:

#4 · (Edited)
Could it be temperature related? I put an old rubber floor mat under mind from time to time to check better. It we had a couple of days above freezing, there wouldn't be any leak.
I have to find out more about the base for the solenoid pack. NOBODY talks about it in any Posts here or elsewhere that I have observed. I'm half tempted to phone the Mechanic I talked with at Christmas.
My solenoid pack seems to have more stuff in the way than yours, looking from the top. Those are great pictures.

PS: The connections where your hoses fasten to the transmission are threaded with a washer. Perhaps they can be tightened.

#5 ·
Temp related? Possibly.....I have only had the van a month, temps here are about 30-60 degrees at present

I keep a fresh piece of cardboard under mine until the leaks get fixed.

All I removed was the entire air cleaner assembly.....what a mess that design was.

I did check the hose ports, they are not leaking...I see no washers on them...still wondering which is the return line.

I did check the torx bolts and the metal cover on the S pack, the bolts were so tight I couldn't move them and the metal seems sound and no rust present.

I would like to know more about the base piece under the S Pack.....I don't see anything about it in Haynes (no surprise) or online........maybe someone here has a factory manual that could help us ??? :help_wsig:help_wsig:help_wsig:help_wsig:help_wsig:help_wsig:help_wsig

#7 ·
Looked at his post, he says
"I installed a magnefine filter to prolong tranny life. I only have 12,000 miles on my '06, and I plan to change out the magnefine filter (located in cooler return line at the bottom of the radiator)"
I am thinking a 06 is very different than a 99 since mine also has a trans cooler installed as part of the towing pack

My fluid lines seemed swollen at the ends, that is why I cut the ends off looking for fresh hose.......not sure how to really neasure them with the tools I have on hand.

#8 ·
Just checked a piece of new 5/16" fuel line. It's outside diameter is 9/16". It's snowing outside, or I would go outside and compare with mine.

Adjust your vice grips to the actual width of the hose and then measure it. :thumb:

#9 ·
When I put my cooler on a week or 2 ago, I went to the parts store and bought their labeled transmission cooler line hose. It was 5/16 size but I'm not sure what makes it different from 5/16 fuel line. The outside was a slicker surface, so they were not exactly the same.

#10 ·
That sounds like 5/16" internal diameter to me to correspond to the steel pipe size. That confirms the size, great. :thumb:

I was pretty sure my cooler hose is 5/16", the same as my power steering hose, which I know is 5/16".

#12 ·
You will be fine. The cooler I installed might have had 3/8 hose connections as i had to force the 5/16 hose on extremely tight while the hose that came with it fit on perfectly.

#14 ·
Looks like the leak was NOT the gasket ;^(

Well this morning there was trans fluid pooled again behind the solenoid pack :cry:

I had cleaned all this out carefully before and after changing the solenoid pack gasket yesterday.

I also had my same two leak spots as before on my fresh piece of cardboard under the car.

I will drive her a few days and see what I see but looks like I will be replacing the entire solenoid pack soon :angry:

#15 ·
Well this morning there was trans fluid pooled again behind the solenoid pack :cry:

I had cleaned all this out carefully before and after changing the solenoid pack gasket yesterday.

I also had my same two leak spots as before on my fresh piece of cardboard under the car.

I will drive her a few days and see what I see but looks like I will be replacing the entire solenoid pack soon :angry:
That's too bad. Tough luck. My leak is so small that I don't think I will bother with it until warmer weather arrives, at which point it won't be leaking, and I will probably forget all about it until next Winter. :lol:

I was at the local Dealership in the City today where I buy most parts that I need. They know me there. I give them Christmas presents, so we get along. :thumb:

Some findings:
- torque for the 3 solenoid pack bolts is 106 inch-lbs. like you said (from their computer, one Mechanic actually said 200 inch-lbs, boy was he off).
- the base for the solenoid pack is part of the transmission case.
- the 4 bolts below the base, that I was tightening up, are actually caps to test / adjustment ports. May as well leave those alone, although a couple of mine were very loose, so tightening didn't hurt.
- the Mechanic said the return line is to the back, closest to the cover. Conflicting info so I phoned Darrell Pufahl of Magnefine and he said that it's best to check, they are never the same. He said you should be able to pick up a difference in temperature, the coldest line, of course, being the return. Otherwise have somebody work with you, disconnect a line, have that somebody turn the starter on for a second to see direction of flow. He said if the transmission was working well and not causing any problems, the filter could be installed in the supply line instead of the return, just make sure the flow direction is correct. I like that as it would help keep dirt out of the cooler as well.
- base for the solenoid pack gasket has to be squeaky clean of any dirt or gasket material (very important).
- the solenoid packs usually leak in the black plastic like material sandwiched in the middle (the meat in the sandwich so to speak)
- price for solenoid pack is $228. That's "trade" price.
- the nipples for the cooler line hoses apparently screw into the transmission case without any washers or gaskets, although that was difficult to confirm on their computer.

That's about it. I would suggest you stuff a paper towel under the cooler line fittings and tight against the transmission to confirm no leaks form the cooler line connections at the transmission, before going the solenoid pack replacement route.

#16 ·
I've mentioned it before but not in this thread. I was a fool a few years ago and paid $250 for a new solenoid from the dealer. I then found out that Borg Warner is the only manufacture of these solenoid packs which means they are all the same. I bought a pack in december a few weeks ago for less than $100. It worked well but I took it back off because my trans was on its way out so I wanted to keep my new pack new. It is now sitting on a shelf in my garage for when the pack on my junk yard trans decides to go out. (it has the original 1996 pack that buzzes so I expect it to not last forever)

#17 ·
Interesting side effect of the gasket replacement

Interesting side effect of the gasket replacement......when done my door locks auto lock one again :blink:

I have been trying to reprogram them for a week with no luck......even the pulling of the IOD fuse did not fix them. But I guess having the Neg cable off for a couple of hours somehow did the trick.

Very weird.

BTW, no quick learn required after the gasket change.......I find no difference in how my trans shifts afterwards.

#18 ·
Interesting side effect of the gasket replacement......when done my door locks auto lock one again :blink:

I have been trying to reprogram them for a week with no luck......even the pulling of the IOD fuse did not fix them. But I guess having the Neg cable off for a couple of hours somehow did the trick.

Very weird.

BTW, no quick learn required after the gasket change.......I find no difference in how my trans shifts afterwards.
According to the Mechanic today, no "quick learn" required after a solenoid pack replacement normally, although there are exceptions from time to time.

#21 ·
I would tend to believe that.

#25 ·
Ordered a replacement Solenoid Pack

The leaking I have been experiencing seems to have increased since I replaced the gasket at the base of the Solenoid pack. :angrya:
So I bid on a replacement one on eBay for $75.
Hope to He** this works :confused:

#26 ·
Were you able to dial in the problem?

I may be searching for all the common culprits. The plastic "sandwich", loose bolts or hoses.

But I just can't exactly pin point where is the fluid sweeping from

#27 ·
I rebuilt the A604 in my 2002, but don't recall unbolting the solenoid pack. I did replace the silicone gasket on the electrical connector since it came in the kit. It appears the solenoid pack uses a similar silicone gasket. If so, it should last about forever as long as the bolts stay tight to keep crud out.

Autozone and others carry "transmission oil hose" they will cut to length. I thought I recalled 7/16" ID. I wouldn't use fuel hose. But, last time I bought pre-bent hose from rockauto since ~$10/set, but that was for my 2.4L van.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.