The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Sunroof Leak

20K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ntah81 
#1 ·
When it rains and my van is parked I have had water come in through the mini overhead console reading lights twice now. I opened the sunroof, and sure enough, water was pooling in the trough around the sunroof, not draining out through the drain holes, and of course overflowing into the van. Chrysler placed the deluxe center console cupholder well as most of the water ended up there and my carpet was just barely damp! :blink:
I don't see anything blocking the drains; the entire cavity around the sunroof is immaculately clean (no leaves, dirt, debris, etc.). Does anyone know where the drain tubes terminate so I can check them for blockage? On my VW they are by the door hinge and inside the rear bumper, but I have not yet found any on the van...

#2 ·
I notice on mine that after I get a car wash (or while it's raining), there is a glub, glub (or gurgling sound) that comes from the sunroof. It sounds like whatever drainage system they have may be somewhat restrictive and prone to clogging. If someone knows where it is, I'll check mine too.

#3 ·
Sunroof aren't designed to be leak proof, they are designed to drain leaks efficently. Your best bet to clean the drain pipes would be to get a long thin metal wire and stick down one of the pipes and hopefully that will clean it. The pipes probably go near the A-pillar and terminate behind the front wheels. At least that's my guess.

#4 ·
so first thing I would do is clean the drains with compressed air, the drain tubes terminate behind the side sliding doors out the bottom of the van... Awire is not going to do it if its further down. I back my van into my driveway and with the ice and snow have had no leaks whatsoever thankfully.

#5 ·
the drain tubes terminate behind the side sliding doors out the bottom of the van...
Are there only 2 (My little GTI has 4, one at each corner of the sunroof cavity)?

I am thinking now about the long thin wire idea. Maybe some stiff weed eater string would be long enough and still stiff enough...just a thought

#7 ·
I am still having the problem to this day (my OP from 2009!), and it is always the same corner that gets blocked. The other 3 never seem to clog... I have read that sometimes tiny spiders/insects build a nest in the tube, thereby blocking it. This happened to the tubes of my gas grill in 2009 and I just made the connection that perhaps this is the problem.

Ditto on the poor engineering. Build quality lacks severely as well. A new recall on the ignition switch I am sure will apply to our van too, as we have had issues with the key getting stuck in the "start" position causing the van to run but lets no accessories work.

Also, what did you find out about the class-action suit? How do I join? :rolleyes:

#8 ·
So, is there not a gasket responsible for minimizing the amount of water that makes it between the sunroof and body that is prone to failure?
My '08 SXT leaks much the same as the OP described; the previous owner decided to smear what appears to be a mixture of silicone, grease, and maple syrup over the sunroof's perimeter.
I'm going to go out now to check for drain ports; between the trimmer string & compressed air, it should be easy enough to open.
I'll follow up upon completion
Plant Publication Tree Adaptation Book

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.