Sunroof Leak

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sunroof Leak

Thanks

Sunroof Leak

When it rains and my van is parked I have had water come in through the mini overhead console reading lights twice now. I opened the sunroof, and sure enough, water was pooling in the trough around the sunroof, not draining out through the drain holes, and of course overflowing into the van. Chrysler placed the deluxe center console cupholder well as most of the water ended up there and my carpet was just barely damp!
    I don't see anything blocking the drains; the entire cavity around the sunroof is immaculately clean (no leaves, dirt, debris, etc.). Does anyone know where the drain tubes terminate so I can check them for blockage? On my VW they are by the door hinge and inside the rear bumper, but I have not yet found any on the van...
    2008 DGC SXT 4.0L Marathon Blue--Loaded
    71000 miles
    2012 VW Jetta 2.5 SE Platinum Gray
    51000 miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I notice on mine that after I get a car wash (or while it's raining), there is a glub, glub (or gurgling sound) that comes from the sunroof. It sounds like whatever drainage system they have may be somewhat restrictive and prone to clogging. If someone knows where it is, I'll check mine too.
    2011 T & C Limited - White Gold/ - Dark Frost Beige/Medium Frost Beige
    Every option except Towing Package
    > 7,000 miles (had 1 on the odometer at delivery)

Thanks

Sunroof aren't designed to be leak proof, they are designed to drain leaks efficently. Your best bet to clean the drain pipes would be to get a long thin metal wire and stick down one of the pipes and hopefully that will clean it. The pipes probably go near the A-pillar and terminate behind the front wheels. At least that's my guess.

Thanks

so first thing I would do is clean the drains with compressed air, the drain tubes terminate behind the side sliding doors out the bottom of the van... Awire is not going to do it if its further down. I back my van into my driveway and with the ice and snow have had no leaks whatsoever thankfully.

2011 T&C Limited - Deep Cherry Pearl, Black Napa Leather, Sunroof, PWR 3rd Row,
    2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 4x4 Quad Cab - Laramie - Fully Loaded with options. Edge EZ, Lots of LED Lighting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IssaquahWA1979 View Post
    the drain tubes terminate behind the side sliding doors out the bottom of the van...
    Are there only 2 (My little GTI has 4, one at each corner of the sunroof cavity)?

I am thinking now about the long thin wire idea. Maybe some stiff weed eater string would be long enough and still stiff enough...just a thought
    71000 miles
    51000 miles

Thanks

Thumbs up Good answer

Quote Originally Posted by scholtens View Post
    Are there only 2 (My little GTI has 4, one at each corner of the sunroof cavity)?

I am thinking now about the long thin wire idea. Maybe some stiff weed eater string would be long enough and still stiff enough...just a thought
    I had the same problem with my 2009 Chrysler Town and Country. In searching for an answer, I discovered there is a class action suit going on for this issue and that Chrysler Corp also issued 9 Technical Bulletins for this problem - but never told me (bought the car new from the dealership) about it!

Anyway, your solution using a weed eater string worked like a champ! Thanks for the tip! (It also has to be long enough to go the entire distance down to the back of the wheel wells of both driver and passenger front wheels-there are two drains, one on each side front of the sunroof.). Question: What kind of nimrod auto engineer designs a drain tube from corrugated tubing, where it will surely snag every particle that finds its way into the drain? Overall, I have found my Chrysler T&C to be overall poorly engineered, from the electrical system to the brakes. The drain tubes for the sunroof are just the next issues I have to talk about with my dealer when it's time to tell him I'm getting something different!

Thanks

I am still having the problem to this day (my OP from 2009!), and it is always the same corner that gets blocked. The other 3 never seem to clog... I have read that sometimes tiny spiders/insects build a nest in the tube, thereby blocking it. This happened to the tubes of my gas grill in 2009 and I just made the connection that perhaps this is the problem.

Ditto on the poor engineering. Build quality lacks severely as well. A new recall on the ignition switch I am sure will apply to our van too, as we have had issues with the key getting stuck in the "start" position causing the van to run but lets no accessories work.

Also, what did you find out about the class-action suit? How do I join?
    71000 miles
    51000 miles

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply