windshield wipers dead.. fuse?? relay? 91

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: windshield wipers dead.. fuse?? relay? 91

Thanks

windshield wipers dead.. fuse?? relay? 91

Turned the wipers on & didn't know they were frozen to the windshield. Turned the switch off & freed up the wipers.

Wipers no longer work.

Figurd a fuse but anyone know which one? Used to be ~ easy when the fusebox had info that showed what the fuse was for; my fusebox has none but they are numbered. Pulled them all out & all look ok.

Maybe a relay? Have no clue where that might be.

When I fiddle with the wiper switch, I am getting some clicking noises at what I think is the BCM (just to the right of the steering column).

Guess it could be the wiper motor is fried. There are 2 wires (black & white) coming out of the motor that go to a 4 pin connector. There are 4 wires in the corresponding connector & the motor assy (to firewall) has a ground wire to one of the mounting bolts. Guess I could run some wires to the blk & white wires to test the motor but not sure how to hook that up?

Guess I could test the 4 wires going to the connector (that then go to the blk & white wire) & if they are live, that would be good news..

Other ideas? tia
    Last edited by 91awd3.3; 01-13-2009 at 03:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

You did pick up a Haynes Manual at your local auto parts store, right ? Look in there. Use a multimeter, also available at the parts store to check for power. There are fuses under the hood, near the battery and there are fuses under the dash. Check the manual, then check both places.

Get back to us.
    1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 3.3L LWB-- 222,222 miles and counting ......
    Still Going Strong

Thanks

Ok, got the wiring diagram here. Looks like fuse #5 (& looks like the only one).
    Haynes manual I have only shows year 90 & that fuse block is diff; shows the wiper as fuse #11 but on my 91, fuse#11 is blank.
    Also have the FSM kicking around somewhere..
    Sure hope its not the BCM..

==============================================
    Last edited by 91awd3.3; 01-13-2009 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks

Talking

91 was the beginning of the GEN2's.
    90 is the last of the GEN1's.
    You need a newer manual.
    Maybe you can trade it in ? Got your receipt ?
    1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE 3.3L LWB-- 222,222 miles and counting ......
    Still Going Strong

Thanks

My Haynes covers the beginning (84) to 91. Like alot of those books, they don't cover every year & only shows a fusebox for a 90.

Mentioned I have the FSM (Factory Service Manual) for 91.. but have to dig it up.

I suspect the wiper motor at this point cos the fuse is good & when I engage the wiper switch, I hear clicking in the BCM.

Gonna focus on the wires at the wiper motor.

There are 2 main wires, blk & (white?) grey. Guess I could just jump those + & -. There is a ground wire on one of the bolts for the wiper motor assy.

I'd assume that usually a fuse would blow in this type situation, but seeing that it goes thru the BCM.. never know.. If its the BCM, i'll prob try to bypass it.

There's a good related thread going in gen3 -Windshield Wiper Delay.
    Last edited by 91awd3.3; 01-14-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks

Ok, first thing I was going to try was disconnecting the BAT thinking maybe the BCM might be confused & would reset.

Never got around to doing anything yet but tried the switch once in awhile (no go). Picked up my son tonight, tried em out & BINGO.

Guessing the wiper motor (probably original) may have a weak spot or something, kinda like a starter motor that acts up.. but dunno at this point.

I'm pretty sure that's happened before (switch on & wipers frozen to the windshield), but wipers always worked after breaking the ice.
    Last edited by 91awd3.3; 01-21-2009 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks

Bummer. Next time I tried, moved a bit.. then nothing. Did that one more time.. otherwise.. nothing.

HUGE temp change (way warmer) may have something to do with it.. but back to square one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 91awd3.3 View Post
    Bummer. Next time I tried, moved a bit.. then nothing. Did that one more time.. otherwise.. nothing.

HUGE temp change (way warmer) may have something to do with it.. but back to square one.
    Motor should have its own internal breaker protection. Check the motor connection for consistent power to make sure everything is okay from that end. When the motor doesn't work, perhaps there is another circuit breaker involved. There is a circuit breaker (self setting I believe) for the power windows and power seats normally, located in the dash area somewhere. Don't know that the wipers have one.

Perhaps the mechanism is jamming a bit. The motor may be cutting out against some resistance from the mechanism or weakness in the motor. I would suggest disconnecting the mechanism from the motor to see if you can get the motor to work consistently. If so, then lubricate the mechanism well and give it a try.

I suspect worn joints in the mechanism took a large enough hit to cause them to jam up or to bend slightly to cause them to jam up.
    Last edited by Jeepman; 01-24-2009 at 01:49 PM.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 112,920 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 311,200 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 251,430 kms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 91awd3.3 View Post

Shot in the dark, but have you tried turning them on with someone else giving them a 'push start'? That may confirm/reject the starter symptoms?
    1990 Grand LE 239000 km 3.3L A604
    1997 Lada Samara X94000 km 1.5L MPI
    1994 Mercury Topax 138000 km 2.3L
    GRAND TOTAL = $350.00

Thanks

Don't think another circuit breaker is involved & tried giving the wipers a nudge but no go.

Just an update, the wipers were stuck up about 4 inches from the parked position. The last time I tried the switch, there were 2 movements to that spot. In that position, the clicking noises from the BCM went away.

Short of it right now is jumpered the wiper motor & works fine. When they went back to the park position & I tried the switch, again heard normal clicking noises from the BCM. If I pull the fuse, the noise goes away.

So figure things are good from the switch to the BCM (all seems normal) but something's up from there to the motor. Though suppose it could still be the BCM.

Bottom line right now is I can bypass the regular setup to make the wipers work.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply