Is it possible to swap seat cushions? Repair to broken arm rest?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it possible to swap seat cushions? Repair to broken arm rest?

Is it possible to swap seat cushions? Repair to broken arm rest?

Was wondering if anyone in here has taken apart their seats, or swapped any cushions.

My driver's seat , being the most used, has turned into a bit of a mess. It's the leather/vinyl type.

Earlier this year, the right arm rest broke off because the bolt holding it into the seat frame cracked in half. I tried extracting the bolt unsuccessfully. Recently got some hardware, and was planning on drilling out a larger hole, and putting a threaded sleeve in there , along with a new larger bolt.

The other issue is the leather on the seat. It's shot, and especially on the bottom cushion. I took out one of my rear stow/go seats back when the van was new, and still have it in the garage. I know I can't swap seats, because the driver's seat is power driven, etc. , but was wondering if I could swap that bottom cushion out?

Thanks for any ideas.
    2005 Town & Country Signature Series. Metallic Blue. Original owner since new in 2005.
    6 disc DVD + Navi (DVD works, but Navigation does not and has not for many years)
    LED interior lights (upgrade)
    Power moonroof / power and heated front seats / stow 'n go

Currently tipping 190K miles

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Yes the bottom cushion bolts on to the seat frame regardless if it is power or manual and passenger side will also fit drivers side as well.
    I changed mine on the 443k two times and always chose the passenger seat since the wear was opposite of the drivers.
    Man, nothing like sitting on that new used cushion!
    2006 Town & Country 3.8 Touring 260k, 2nd engine, 2nd transmission. 2013 GMC Acadia SLT 3.6l 45k
    2003 Grand Caravan Sport 3.8 264k :::: 1995 Jeep GC 4L 335k SNOW & GO---2003 Grand Caravan 3.3 196k :::::1997 Grd Voy 3.3 266k
    Gone but not forgotten: 2003 Caravan 3.3 Flex 443k original engine and trans & lighting strike sold 10/2013, should have never let it go.
    1992 Plymouth Voyager 3.0 sold 1999 ;;;;;; 2000 Grand 3.3 201k sold 4/2016 .......1999 Jeep GC 4L 221k 2nd head sold 4/2017
    Good riddance:1996 Town & Country 3.3 when 2nd trans went 2003

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 443k3.3 For This Useful Post:

tuco05tc(12-13-2015), UN4GTBL(12-16-2015)

Easy job today with velcro and plastic clips
    2006 Town@Country loaded up!

2005 grand stow@go Judi's new blue ride

6. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Junk yard seat is best option. Four bolts and the whole thing comes out!

Thanks. Could anyone shed light on where these four bolts are and how to get to them? The rear seat is folded up in the garage. I remember it being quite difficult even to get the other one unfolded and rebolted when I needed it for my boy. I'm assuming the bolt heads might be facing downward in the open area under the seat? If that's the case, I'm assuming removal of the seat is necessary to get a new cushion on?
    2005 Town & Country Signature Series. Metallic Blue. Original owner since new in 2005.
    6 disc DVD + Navi (DVD works, but Navigation does not and has not for many years)

Quote Originally Posted by tuco05tc View Post
    I'm assuming the bolt heads might be facing downward in the open area under the seat? If that's the case, I'm assuming removal of the seat is necessary to get a new cushion on?
    No is did mine with the seat installed. Yes bolt heads face downward, want to say 13mm. Might have been 2 in the front and 2 from the back
    2006 Town & Country 3.8 Touring 260k, 2nd engine, 2nd transmission. 2013 GMC Acadia SLT 3.6l 45k
    2003 Grand Caravan Sport 3.8 264k :::: 1995 Jeep GC 4L 335k SNOW & GO---2003 Grand Caravan 3.3 196k :::::1997 Grd Voy 3.3 266k
    Gone but not forgotten: 2003 Caravan 3.3 Flex 443k original engine and trans & lighting strike sold 10/2013, should have never let it go.
    1992 Plymouth Voyager 3.0 sold 1999 ;;;;;; 2000 Grand 3.3 201k sold 4/2016 .......1999 Jeep GC 4L 221k 2nd head sold 4/2017
    Good riddance:1996 Town & Country 3.3 when 2nd trans went 2003

Well, had to update on this, as I'm still not "finished" with the job yet.

"Just four bolts" is a gross oversimplification of this job. While four 13mm bolts hold the seat bottom frame in place, there is actually a lot more to it on a fully loaded van.

There are wiring connections a plenty for the power seats, crash sensors, seat belt sensors, and even a "occupancy sensor" on the passenger side ... of which I think I may have messed up just by pulling the cushion.

The cushions on the driver/passenger side can not be swapped, as they are different. Driver side is thinner and sits on a "hammock" spring frame of sorts. On the passenger side, it's thicker, because the cushion somehow drives the "occupancy sensor".

I can confirm the cushion covers can be swapped, but AFAIK, only from passenger to driver, or vice versa. Unfortunately the rear seats are again different. They appear to be less thick from top to bottom than either the front passenger/driver seats.

So, long story short, it appears the only way to economically "replace" a cushion and cover, would be to get really lucky at a salvage yard in finding the same color/material, and same cushion. Even then you have more than a four bolt job ahead with all the wiring and other monkey business. My driver's power is also making a funny noise it wasn't before I did the job, and I'm not sure why.

The wire routing setup is also a headache , as in other parts of the van. There are the clips , which are all strategically put in place at the factory so the cables don't get caught in the power action of the seat. When you take things apart, try to pay attention to that (I didn't), and it won't be easy, because you need to disconnect to get the cushion frame up.

Proceed with caution on this one.
    Last edited by tuco05tc; 12-16-2015 at 02:11 PM.

I just replaced both front seats with a pair from the pick-a-part lot. I when bought the 07 T&C it came with a basic drivers seat. I found a power drivers seat and a manual passenger seat in the same fabric. The cost was $65 for the pair. The electric is already there. Once I got the spare tire out of the way it took less than 1 hour to switch the seats. The only hard part was the spare tire that had never been dropped. Scott

Quote Originally Posted by 73fxe View Post
    I just replaced both front seats with a pair from the pick-a-part lot. I when bought the 07 T&C it came with a basic drivers seat. I found a power drivers seat and a manual passenger seat in the same fabric. The cost was $65 for the pair. The electric is already there. Once I got the spare tire out of the way it took less than 1 hour to switch the seats. The only hard part was the spare tire that had never been dropped. Scott
    Good deal, but doesn't really relate to my OP. I would imagine if you pulled an entire seat from another vehicle, it may not be difficult to install. This is about moving seat cushions/covers from one seat to another in the van. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have to pay the dealer now to "recalibrate" the passenger side occupancy sensor, now that I pulled the cushion and put it back. It's kind of crazy to think it's that sensitive, but it did have a warning on it not to remove the cushion.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply