Town & Country in snow/ice

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Town & Country in snow/ice

Thanks

Town & Country in snow/ice

Quick question for those that might have some experience. I''m from Seattle and we''re right in the middle of some nasty weather-we just had 4-6 inches of snow and now, we''re heading in to some super cold temperatures- mid 20s for the highs! Unusual for Seattle! Anyway, what we are dealing with (mostly on side streets, but on some arterials as well) is a great deal of compacted snow that has turned to ice. Can anybody tell me their experiences driving in such conditions? Will my "brand new" 2008 T&C handle it well, or should I just forget about it!? I''m probably not going to get chains (would not need most of the time), and it''s just got the standard tires. It''s front wheel drive, obviously, so that''s totally a good thing.

I guess I''m turning in to a bit of a chicken in my old age! But really, I don''t want to hurt it! I love that thing!

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joel from Seattle

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I would expect the Gen 5 vans to perform at least as well as our Gen 3 and Gen 4 vans have, and that's a good thing. Here in New Hamster we get more than our share of snow, cold and ice (either the kind that falls from the sky or the kind that forms after a few freeze-thaw-freeze cycles). Regarding chains, unless they're required on some of the roads you drive on, I wouldn't bother; your van should be able to handle your winter conditions with relative aplomb.
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1999 Chrysler T&C Limited 3.8
    2001 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2012 VW GTI (6-Speed manual)

Thanks

Question Snow and Ice on the roads?

Quote Originally Posted by jniemeyer View Post
    Quick question for those that might have some experience. I''m from Seattle and we''re right in the middle of some nasty weather-we just had 4-6 inches of snow and now, we''re heading in to some super cold temperatures- mid 20s for the highs! Unusual for Seattle! ....Joel from Seattle
    YES, unusual for Seattle. We had snow once in Tacoma in the 2+ years I was stationed at Ft. Lewis but it melted within a day or 2. You do NOT need snow tires in Seattle unless you drive on hills during the rare times when snow falls in Seattle.

I have NOT had snow tires after leaving cold, icy Logan, Utah in 1963 but did have studded snow tires on my Volvo while we lived in Laramie, Wyoming but have NOT had snow tires or studded tires since 1975.
    Grand Caravan Carl
    2009 GC SXT 3.8L 6 AT 12,102 miles, 1999 GC SE 3.3L 4AT 127,204 miles (Daughters have former 2006 Sienna LE 43,101 miles and 2002 T&C eL 84,244 miles).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jniemeyer View Post
    Quick question for those that might have some experience. I''m from Seattle and we''re right in the middle of some nasty weather-we just had 4-6 inches of snow and now, we''re heading in to some super cold temperatures- mid 20s for the highs! Unusual for Seattle! Anyway, what we are dealing with (mostly on side streets, but on some arterials as well) is a great deal of compacted snow that has turned to ice. Can anybody tell me their experiences driving in such conditions? Will my "brand new" 2008 T&C handle it well, or should I just forget about it!? I''m probably not going to get chains (would not need most of the time), and it''s just got the standard tires. It''s front wheel drive, obviously, so that''s totally a good thing.

I guess I''m turning in to a bit of a chicken in my old age! But really, I don''t want to hurt it! I love that thing!

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joel from Seattle
    Let me ring in...
    up here... in the artic of Toronto, ON...
    where we are next to bankrupt and the city can not afford to clean the snow...
    this is our second winter with our T&C - it is okay... but obviously if you want better control get the snow tires. The problem we have is the side streets get about 2 feet to 3 feet ( because of the wind effect ) of snow before the cities even come once to plow or salt... so unless we have to go out... we stay in...
    but you should be fine..
    it will probably melt in Seattle before you know it..

Our problem is it stays until spring... then we have mountains of grey/black ice crusty snow banks to slide in to..
    2008 T&C LTD
    MyGig Nav, 2 LCDs, Captain Chairs 2nd row.
    power 3rd, tow pkg, sunroof.. loaded options that will never get used. MSRP $50,500 (thats the joke)

Thanks

UPDATE:
    so i ventured off in the 15 cm of snow today..
    oh my God...
    I felt like a rally driver... my brain is completely mush and my forearms are sore..

get the winter tires...
    LOL
    what a day.... i am exhausted
    2008 T&C LTD
    MyGig Nav, 2 LCDs, Captain Chairs 2nd row.
    power 3rd, tow pkg, sunroof.. loaded options that will never get used. MSRP $50,500 (thats the joke)

Thanks

Yes, if you plan on driving for some period in the snow. You will need winter tires. Last year we didn't put any on the van, this year we did. HUUUUGE difference. Do it.
    '08 Town and Country LTD 4.0L
    Built Sept. 2007, took delivery Dec. 2007
    48,500 kms on the odo
    Brilliant Black w/ grey leather and suede inserts
    MyGig, NAV, VES, Trailer tow, Power 3rd Row
    Sunroof and Swivel n' Go

Thanks

SNOW TIRES!!!! He gets snow a few days a year!

I grew up in North Dakota where we got a bit of snow, now I'm in Iowa where we get a lot of ice. Our front wheel drive vehicles do fine with good all season radials.

The van will do better than an infrequent snow/ice driver will..... Slow, easy, plenty of follow and stopping distance, and a lot of caution.
    2003 Chrysler T&C Limited, 3.8, 175k miles

Thanks

Consider getting your existing tires siped for about $50. A good compromise for the occasional snow needs - and best overall for wet seattle. Probably no need for dedicated set of winter tires/wheels - unless you go into the mountains frequently...

-Jim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JCamasto View Post
    Consider getting your existing tires siped for about $50. A good compromise for the occasional snow needs - and best overall for wet seattle. Probably no need for dedicated set of winter tires/wheels - unless you go into the mountains frequently...

-Jim
    Have you or anyone you know ever had your tires siped? That's interesting... never heard of that before.
    2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L), Light Sandstone Metallic, 125K miles
    2005 Volvo XC70, 160K miles

Previous van: 2002 Chrysler T&C, eX (3.8L)

Thanks

I live in Chicago, The Van handles fine in winter weather no alternative tires needed, Just better driving skills needed from its owner.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply