The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Correct anti-freeze for 2005 Town & Country

98K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  lotus5 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country with the 6 cylinder engine and want to change the anti-freeze myself. I am having trouble trying to find the correct type to use. The owner's manual says to use Mopar brand, of course. However, buying this from the dealer is twice the cost of other brands. It specifies the type must be HOAT (hybrid Organic Additive Technology). Searching this on the Internet only confuses things more. It seems that Prestone claims they have an equivalent, but others dispute that because it is only OAT type. Zerex claims they have a HOAT type which is designated as G-05. That is the only brand I have found claiming the HOAT type. Has anyone else had any experience with finding the correct replacement anti-freeze and do you have any suggestions from your experience changing your anti-freeze on this vehicle? I have changed anti-freeze in other cars before, but not this one.

#3 ·
Zerex G-05 is the way to go. It's orangeish for Chrysler and yellowish for Food. Either color will do. Local Wal-Marts here carry the Zerex G-05 in undiluted or 50/50 format.
My Methodology:
I use a Prestone radiator flush, which has instructions on it and which requires a couple of drains and refills with water, plus I do a couple more just to ensure most of the old antifreeze (about 90%) is drained out. I use demineralized water.
- only about 50% of the coolant comes out with the initial drain, even less with subsequent drains as the system does not get fully filled up.
- all heating lines should be on heat mode, including rear heat.
- there is a tendency to end up with the coolant at a stronger concentration than need be, probably because there is still about a half liter to a liter of the original pure coolant in the system, even after 4 or so drains.

#4 ·
- there is a tendency to end up with the coolant at a stronger concentration than need be, probably because there is still about a half liter to a liter of the original pure coolant in the system, even after 4 or so drains.
This is why I just buy the 50/50 premixed stuff now (or mix it myself). A long time ago, I bought a gallon of the Mopar HOAT and took an old milk jug and mixed my own 50/50 mixture with distilled water. So I ended up with 2 gallons of 50/50 mix.

But if I found the Valvoline Zerex G-05 in a pre-mix, I'd probably just buy that.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I found that the initial drain only got out about half the coolant, meaning that what remained contained 50% of the original antifreeze.
- if I had 14 liters of coolant at 50/50 mix, I would still have 7 liters of coolant which would contain 3.5 liters of the old antifreeze. This is drain #1.

So I fill it up but only get a total of say 12 liters (added 5) allowing for the empty reservoir and air bubbles.
- 3.5 liters of old antifreeze in 12 liters overall of coolant is now circulated through the system and drained (flushing in my case per the Owner Manual). 5 liters comes out which means I have 5/12 X 3.5 = 1.5 which leaves 2.0 liters old antifreeze in the system. This is drain #2.

So I repeat the fill and get the same results as above (added 5 liters for 12 liters total)
- 2.0 liters of old antifreeze in 12 liters overall of coolant is now circulated through the system and drained. 5 liters comes out which means I have 5/12 X 2.0 = 0.8 which leaves 1.2 liters in the system. This is drain #3.

So I repeat the fill again and get the same results as above (added 5 liters for 12 liters total)
- 1.2 liters of old antifreeze in 12 liters overall of coolant is now circulated through the system and drained. 5 liters comes out which means I have 5/12 X 1.2 = 0.5 which leaves 0.7 liters in the system. This is drain #4.

Now I fill it up for the final refill. This is it. If I don't allow for that extra bit of antifreeze remaining in the system, and just fill up with 7 liters of antifreeze plus wharever water, the concentration will probably be around 60/40 versus 50/50.

Thoughts:
-the above figures may not be 100% accurate, but they are indicative.
- with the extra antifreeze in the system, the amount of new antifreeze is at the level it should be for corrosion protection purposes.
- perhaps a drain and refill at 2.5 years versus 5 (removing 7 liters, replacing 7 liters, no flushing) would do. It certainlly would be easier.
- if you use a flushing agent, at least 2 drains are required anyway, so there are two extra in my case, for a total of 4. That was for the Jeep. For the Van, I actually used 5 refills to get a little more out, leaving say 0.4 liters of the old antifreeze in place.

#7 ·
Even with extended life coolant, I do a drain and fill every 2 years. Most of the coolant comes out, so there is a little of the old stuff left. I figure if I do this every 2 years, there should never be a cooling fluid issue.

#8 ·
Coolant is often the most neglected fluid in the vehicle. With old iron engines, it didn't really matter; when the coolant lost its corrosion protection properties, you'd start to see scale and rust in the coolant, it'd turn brown, and you'd know you had to change it. Now with aluminum engines, there's nothing to rust. Corrosion isn't evident. The aluminum just pits away, it doesn't rust, so you have no visual indication anymore to change the coolant.

Being proactive with coolant changes is a good thing (as it is with any fluid). More-frequent-than-required fluid changes never hurt anything.

#10 ·
I wouldn't even think twice about it at that price. My dealer charged me twice that... and the Zerex G05 I bought was still more than that.

#11 ·
Zerex G-05 (HOAT) at Wal-Mart is a good deal compared to other stores I have seen it in. I believe the maker of Zerex HOAT, ie Valvoline, also makes Mopar HOAT.

#12 ·
In doing flushing/filling, I hope you are using plain water for the multiple flushes to get out all the old sludge. Then use the 50/50 with distilled water for the final fill. (You can use an analyzer >$3 item< to fine tune the %) No need to waste perfectly good (expensive) coolant for flushing!
I understand there are only a couple of real suppliers for antifreeze that sell to many labels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.