Low beam headlight and fog light bulb sizes



ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Low beam headlight and fog light bulb sizes

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    9,436
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 66 Times in 50 Posts


    I can't run the Toshiba bulbs in my van because my van uses a dual-filament headlight (H13). The HIR bulbs only fit the 9005 high and 9006 low beam applications. I have used the Toshiba 9012 low beam in my former Cadillac and in my current Corolla. I currently have 9005 Xtravisions in the lows on my Corolla (they are normally high beam bulbs). ~Extremely~ good light from those! If you have the Nighthawk version, it'd be even BETTER.

    As far as I know, the only difference in the 9005XS is that it has a straight connector, rather than a 90-degree connector. The standard 9005 has a 90-degree connector. You SHOULD be able to use a standard 9005 bulb in there (such as the GE Nighthawk), unless the area is EXTREMELY cramped and you wouldn't be able to fit the connector onto the light due to clearance issues.

    The Toshiba 9011 (the "high beam" version of the HIR bulb) uses a 90-degree connector. My suggestion would be to see if the GE Nighthawks in your high beams would fit in the low beams. This actually applies to the original post also (I didn't think about clearance). If the standard high beams don't fit into the low beams, because of clearance or whatever, a different bulb type (either halogen like the HIRs or an HID retrofit) may not work either.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements
     

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I can't run the Toshiba bulbs in my van because my van uses a dual-filament headlight (H13). The HIR bulbs only fit the 9005 high and 9006 low beam applications. I have used the Toshiba 9012 low beam in my former Cadillac and in my current Corolla. I currently have 9005 Xtravisions in the lows on my Corolla (they are normally high beam bulbs). ~Extremely~ good light from those! If you have the Nighthawk version, it'd be even BETTER.

    As far as I know, the only difference in the 9005XS is that it has a straight connector, rather than a 90-degree connector. The standard 9005 has a 90-degree connector. You SHOULD be able to use a standard 9005 bulb in there (such as the GE Nighthawk), unless the area is EXTREMELY cramped and you wouldn't be able to fit the connector onto the light due to clearance issues.

    The Toshiba 9011 (the "high beam" version of the HIR bulb) uses a 90-degree connector. My suggestion would be to see if the GE Nighthawks in your high beams would fit in the low beams. This actually applies to the original post also (I didn't think about clearance). If the standard high beams don't fit into the low beams, because of clearance or whatever, a different bulb type (either halogen like the HIRs or an HID retrofit) may not work either.
    OK - I got the 9005 and 9005XS confused on connector angle. The 9005 is a right angle and the 9005XS is straight. "XS" might stand for extra small because I know the 9005 Nighthawks wouldn't fit into the low-beam sockets due to clearance. It was winter, and I didn't look at doing any modifications to possibly make them work. In all my searching, I never found a 9005XS upgrade below OEM bulbs.

    That said, are these Toshiba bulbs all that they're being touted as? If so, they'd be nice upgrades for my other vehicle, which isn't too bad in stock form.

    Thanks

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    9,436
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 66 Times in 50 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by buckslayer View Post
    OK - I got the 9005 and 9005XS confused on connector angle. The 9005 is a right angle and the 9005XS is straight. "XS" might stand for extra small because I know the 9005 Nighthawks wouldn't fit into the low-beam sockets due to clearance.
    That's a shame, and that modifies my answer to the original poster about fitting an HID retrofit into his low beams. I would say it's just a "maybe" at this point, if clearance really is that tight.

    Quote Originally Posted by buckslayer View Post
    That said, are these Toshiba bulbs all that they're being touted as? If so, they'd be nice upgrades for my other vehicle, which isn't too bad in stock form.
    Honestly, I prefer using the 9005 bulbs instead of the Toshiba 9012s in the low beams. Technically, the 9005 bulbs use "too much" wattage (60W vs. the stock 51W for most low beams), but I've never found that to be a problem before (with wiring or with heat). The Toshiba bulbs were great, but the light quality just didn't seem all that great. There was a lot of light, and it was in the right place, but the color of the light just didn't tickle me. I liked the GE Nighthawks better in that regard, since they're quite a bit whiter than normal headlights (as you know). So then I tried the 9005 Xtravision bulbs and WOW. Not only is there more light, but it's significantly whiter. Have a look at this (this is in my Corolla):



    I have a Sylvania 9005XV in the driver side low beam socket and a Toshiba 9012 bulb in the passenger side low beam socket. I took this picture two nights ago, in my dark garage, with muted camera settings to amplify the light patterns and relative differences in color. Even in real life, the differences between the two bulbs really are as dramatic as the photograph illustrates. The light on the road is much whiter. And you can see that the light pattern is still correct, because the 9005 bulb places the filament in exactly the same place as the 9006 bulb (which was the stock low beam for my Corolla).
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    979
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts


    Low Beam - 9005XS
    High Beam - 9005
    Fog Light - 9040

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Headlight Problem; no low beam on left side
    By usa4613 in forum 4th. Generation Chrysler Minivans: 2001-2007
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 08:49 PM
  2. HID Headlight Bulb Replacement
    By Brian in forum 5th. Generation Chrysler Minivans: 2008 And Up
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-16-2013, 03:59 AM
  3. Changing Headlight Bulb
    By DSMLVR in forum The Fireplace
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 10:21 AM
  4. Hi beam Ok No low Beam Headlight
    By CEJ in forum 3rd Generation Chrysler Minivans: 1996-2000
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2007, 01:55 PM
  5. Can't choose High/Low headlight beam
    By newuser in forum 3rd Generation Chrysler Minivans: 1996-2000
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2006, 07:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts